Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
m8o,

There is a review on potozone.de: Pentax SMC-FA* 24mm f/2 AL [IF] - Photozone Review / Lab Test Report. There is also a review on the FA 50 1.4 so you can compare the mtf numbers. Pentax SMC-FA 50mm f/1.4 - Photozone Review / Quick Test Report

There are 7 reviews here in the pentax lens data base as well:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showproduct.php?product=200&cat=30]P...4mm F2 AL [IF]

12-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, I realized and read the test later last night myself. ...disappointing when considering its FA* status. Odd that on even cropped digital which isn't using all the lens width, there would be such a drop-off in edge resolution (wish there was a polar response map for resolution like they do for loudspeakers ). I did a search on the boards and came across a few good threads on the FA* 24mm in relation to others, and I even read someone who stated they found the 12-24mm to be superior stopped down.

But it is the use @ f/2 that I'd be after. Tho it doesn't seem that'll give 'great' results across the frame wide open, and while the f/1.4 is a 'bit' better @ the edge @ f/2 but lower @ center, I have to consider the 24mm is so much wider that the position I would find the same star within the frame with both lenses, that star would be positioned within the 'sweet spot' of the 24mm; and I'd get a lot more of the star field which I'm after. With the detail requirment not much more then a 'streak' of a star w/a few second exposure (you need the streak so the noise reduction doesn't mistake it for noise ) In the end, I think it'll do. (still, dunno if it's superior to the Sigma 24|28mm f/1.8, but that's a discussion for another thread somewhere/sometime)

Thanx for the reply Bart and making me realize I can compare its MFT of the 24mm FA* to the FA 50mm f/1.4's MFT and determine the choice objectively.
12-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

m80

what about the 35mm f2, not as wide as the 24mm but according to photozone pretty good at f2 right to the edges?? (and it is cheap compared to the 24 / 12-24)

Phil