Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Geez is the Pentax 12-24 sharp!!

I have never used this as a portrait lens, but wow, in a tight spot it is amazing...

Shot at 24mm f11.0 at 1/8 th of a second 100 iso.

Ben

Attached Images

12-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I am unable to comment on the lens from personal experience, but darn nice work Ben...
Then again I have the feeling that you would be able to do great with just about any lens
12-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

WOW
i covet this lens, it would just about finish my kit. my problem is it's a DA lens and i'm not going to get it..
12-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a closer look at the shot, were there tears over her right cheek?

Steve is so lucky to be your assistant

I thought the shot was taken by Da* 16-50?

12-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I had a closer look at the shot, were there tears over her right cheek?

Steve is so lucky to be your assistant

I thought the shot was taken by Da* 16-50?
Yup sure were tears...
This hasn't yet been retouched...Deep in post prod right now.
Nope it was the DA 12-24. I'll post the 16-50 shortly of which 60 percent of the shoot was done with the rest the 12-24...

Steve is awesome...

Thanks
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 12-09-2007 at 04:08 PM.
12-08-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have it - I like it - it is one of the lens I always take with me
12-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Yup sure were tears...
This hasn't yet been retouched...Deep in post prod right now.
Nope it was the DA 12-2. I'll post the 16-50 shortly of which 60 percent of the shoot was done with the rest the 12-24...

Steve is awesome...

Thanks
Ben
Do you do retouching/post production yourself or have another team/someone else doing it?

12-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory Quote
Do you do retouching/post production yourself or have another team/someone else doing it?
I set up all of my layering stuff and "Freddy BabyŠ" Paris does all of my retouching, always has. I can retouch, but she is much better than I am. I have done on occasion...

Ben
12-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use it 90% of the time at work and love it.
Would like to have one for myself, it is on my wish list. .

Cheers.
Mike.
12-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ben, you make me happy with my decision to purchase the 12-24 as the first lens with my K10d. I will really be giving it a workout when it warms up a bit from -20 C (-4 F). The K10d doesn't seem to mind, but the guy behind it really gives the SR a workout shivering.
12-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Ben, you make me happy with my decision to purchase the 12-24 as the first lens with my K10d. I will really be giving it a workout when it warms up a bit from -20 C (-4 F). The K10d doesn't seem to mind, but the guy behind it really gives the SR a workout shivering.
I was really taken a back by the resolution of this lens. It reminds me of my good old and now gone 17-40 L Canon lens. I will be getting the newest version of the 16-50 shortly from Pentax and give it a real work out. I am convinced that it will also be a keeper. As most of my stuff is usually shot between 14 and 50 mm these will be my most used lenses, even more than my primes.

ben
12-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

I'll add some real world experience of mine with for eveyone's benefit, both good and bad. So anyone getting it knows what to expect.

I had it and replaced it for a 2nd, thinking the CA and purple fringing I was getting with it made it a bad copy (5 to even 10 pixels width; real bad). 2nd lens was identical however (though, $100 less from that seller then the seller I bought the 1st one from). Ok that stinks. Gotta watch out for that.

I tried it inside for interior shots of my home with available light , and was disappointed with that result too (handheld). Even tho it was a sunny day, and I have a lot of skylights, and the entire back of my house is glass, there wasn't enough light and I had to bump-up the ISO, and was still underexposed (so a lotta noise). But, that was handheld. With supplamental lighting, or tripod, it would have been ok I imagine. I never tried to re-do it since Summer.

Anyway, I wasn't even going to take it to Tanzania. I was very dissapointed. However, I did take it. And once I used it outside in Tanzania to take landscape shots... Holy Cow! You can see the best example of shots in my "In and Out of the Dust Bowl" album in my photo gallery on Fotki, under the Tanzania folder (that being shots taken driving to the Entrance of Ngorongoro crater, into it, and out of it). Click here to go to it: 070815 - [In&Out o/t Dust-Bowl] Ngorongoro Crater Conservation album | m8o | Fotki.com . You really have to look @ the full-rez originals to understand what I'm saying (some montion blur in the foreground of some of them notwithstanding) especially when you notice the huts in the first few and take a look @ them in full-rez 100% crop.

So just saying to all, now that I know you -must- have a lot of light and must stop it down a good deal (needing more light even more important with that), I'm able to get real winners and feel confident that it wasn't money wasted on this gem (yes, I'll even call it a "gem" now).
12-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Applications

I really think that to understand a lens one must understand the latitude of the sensor in relation to the lens. One must also understand metering and lighting. These all have an effect on the performance.

Ben
12-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I was really taken a back by the resolution of this lens. It reminds me of my good old and now gone 17-40 L Canon lens. I will be getting the newest version of the 16-50 shortly from Pentax and give it a real work out. I am convinced that it will also be a keeper. As most of my stuff is usually shot between 14 and 50 mm these will be my most used lenses, even more than my primes.

ben
Ben, what do you hope to gain in performance when you receive the newest DA* 16-50 with respect to the one you currently possess?
12-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
m8o
Veteran Member

Somewhat OT, but related. I learned only just now that there is a FA*24mm f/2.0 ... Hoping someone can answer a question. Ignoring that it can go two stops faster then the 12-24mm f/4, if used from f/4 on, how would they compare? (on a digital sensor btw, not film).

I heard (read) it's 'soft' @ f/2, but pretty sharp @ f/2.8 already; Really fantastic @ f/5.6 on. Wondering if you Ben, or anyone, has experience with both lenses?

Anyone also know if @ f/2, is it softer then the FA 50mm f/1.4 used @ 1.4? Why I'm asking , is I got some fantastic Milkyway shots w/the 50mm f/1.4. But I so wished I had the extra FOV. The 12-24mm f/4 really won't make is as an astronomy lens. I'm hoping the 24mm f/2 can.

Sorry for the OT'ed-ness if anyone thinks this doesn't belong here ... maybe I should have just made a new thread.