Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2011, 07:35 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Jammed DA16-45mm Focus Ring Repaired!

In a similar vain to this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/68137-da-16-45-repair.html the DA16-45 that I recently acquired took a bit of a knock to the front element (it was attached to my K5 inside camera bag and dropped about 6 inches onto a table!)

Based on MA318's post above I figured I may as well take a look inside. I have pulled a couple of lenses apart before but they have been old manual pimes. I've never been one to hold back though!

Name:  IMGP0290 (Medium).jpg
Views: 614
Size:  127.0 KB

I didn't purchase a replacement focus barrel though I chose to use CA glue (super glue) to reattach the part. If this fails I'll purchase the barrel.

This lens is very simple to work on, just make sure you have a clean workspace that you can lay parts out and work carefully. The whole thing comes apart very easily.

After you remove the metal mount, there is two screws to remove the aperture lever. Under there is another 4 screws to drop the internal barrel out. inbetween the 4 screws is a pair of plates that were probably the hardest part to re-fit - I just laid the lens on its side and used tweezers.

Smallest parts are the aperture contacts and the screws.

Trickiest part was getting the correct alignment of parts to put it back together - and keep the focus ring in the correct location. Only really a couple of ways it can go though.

Anyway it is all back-together now and the lens works as it should. Might keep an extra eye out for these going cheap on ebay now lol!

Anyone else had a DA anything apart are they all pretty much the same?

Oh yeah one more thing - there is no way to tighten up the barrel so that at 16mm the 'tilt/shift' effect goes away

10-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey ben, you had me really worried there for a while.

Bruce.
10-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
Tell me about it, only had the thing a few weeks and I thought I had already bricked it!