Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF M lens? Pentax SMC AF 35-70mm F2.8 35-70/2.8

Every once in a while, I see a Pentax lens I'm unfamiliar with... For example, an auto focus manual aperture lens?

Pentax SMC AF 35-70mm F2.8 35-70/2.8 Zoom Lens ++READ++ | eBay

10-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
arv
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It works only with Pentax ME F, and user reviews can be found here. Wiki has an article about ME F and this lens

A.
10-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
It works only with Pentax ME F,
It will only autofocus on the ME-F (if you can even call it that), on all other cameras it will behave like an M lens.

This lens mount is designated as "KF" and it is the only lens of its kind (as opposed to KA and KAF) (Pentax realized that they sort of screwed up).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
arv
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It will only autofocus on the ME-F (if you can even call it that), on all other cameras it will behave like an M lens.
Indeed, sorry for indefinite expression
A.

10-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Inactive Account

As above this lense has great reviews if you want the bulk that comes with it. It has 4 AAA batteries that load in that bulge below the lense and powers the AF motor. IF you look at the contacts on the camera (ME F) you will note that the contacts are on the opposite side of the lense from a current AF camera.

The ME F was the first mass produced TTL focus camera and was a commercial failure because it was ~$70 more than the Super, but the lense was ~699? The camera was a highly modified ME Super which has the same characteristics as the Super with the added Focus Assist electronics. This is the only lense that will AF with the ME F and will only AF with the ME F. If you use the ME F with other lenses including the M42s, you can switch on the AF assist and it will help you focus via 3 LEDs in the viewfinder. It also has a switchable tone for that.

BTW I'm looking for a lense. I have two ME Fs already. They still bring a hefty price which I haven't decided to pay..

Last edited by Ruffinit; 10-27-2011 at 11:48 AM.
10-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I thought about bidding on one of these but I really don't have any need for it. It's heavy and the MF isn't that great as part of the AF design (based on what I've read). It would be interesting though.

It ended up selling for 102+38 shipping. And it came with an ME super and a M50/1.7. A good deal but I'm overwhelmed by LBA at the moment.