Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Did this lens exist in Pentax mount and then was discontinued? I don't remember seeing it on the market.
It definitely came in K-mount at one point

10-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That was a lens I wish I would have picked up.
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
That was a lens I wish I would have picked up.
Looks like the Sigmas need to be picked up when you see them. 100-300 is discontinued, same for this 180, now the 105 too...
10-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Is the A 100 2.8 $200-400 better than the DFA?

A lens: Advantages to the A lens I see are better MF, classic fun-to-use status. Claimed not suitable for digital
DFA lens: Advantages to the DFA lens I see are full WR, AF but no focus limiter, more compact.
I wouldn't say the A has better MF than the DFA WR, the latter has an excellent and very smooth MF ring. And you forgot the fact that the DFA WR has quick-shift, which means you get instant MF, no need for a limiter, and faster focus for non-macro situations. The DFA WR also has curved aperture blades for even smoother bokeh.

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Pentax A* 200, is it all hype or is really worth twice the price of the Sigmas?
The price is driven by the fact that it's a long macro. But having used a 50mm and a 100mm macro, I must stress that the longer the focal length, the harder it is to take macro pictures. Keep that in mind.

If money is an object, I'd recommend considering 50mm macros, otherwise I'd personally go with a modern lens with the features you want. Let's be honest, all the lenses you mentionned are capable of delivering amazing results, it boils down to the specs, brand and features.

For the record, you forgot the excellent Tamron 90mm in your list.

10-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The price is driven by the fact that it's a long macro. But having used a 50mm and a 100mm macro, I must stress that the longer the focal length, the harder it is to take macro pictures. Keep that in mind.
It becomes more technically challenging in some ways but a longer macro lens makes certain subjects easier - principally insects. It also makes it easier to increase magnifcation using extension tubes because you have more MFD to shrink before you get way to close your subject to make it practical.
10-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
the best lens are sigma 180 mm
if you can find the lenses for pentax mount bay this focal lengs