Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

noob question about lens name details ??

Hi all,

Yes, I understand this may seem like a really stupid question, but I was hoping someone could possible tell me what the difference is between, DG, APO, LD, DA, ED, about the only thing I do know is what someone told me in a local camera shop, and that was that camera manufacturers sometimes make shite lenses, and instead of throwing them, they sell them cheaply with a different legend, I.E. LD or ED or whatever it is, (this accounts for my reason for asking) as I was a little hesitent in believing his story.
And the shop in question still hasn't taken down there "Pentax main dealer" sign, as the only cameras they sell were Can or Nik. The manager even told me that Pentax were dead in the water, and that my ME super is far superior than the K-X I had purchased.

Thanks for taking the time to read chaps....

sadsack

10-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The store manager is a fool, or at least terminally uninformed. Deal elsewhere (unless you can trick them into selling you something Real Cheap).

Off the top of my head: DG is Sigma's designation for full-frame lenses (they work on our APS-C dSLRs too). DA (digital automatic?) is Pentax's designation for APS-C crop-sensor lenses, mostly unsuitable for full-frame and manual-only cameras. APO means apochromatic = highly-corrected for chromatic aberrations. LD is Low Dispersion, a costly type of glass helpful for corrections. ED is Extra-low Dispersion glass. These glasses do NOT go into shite lenses.

The only stupid question is the unasked question. Fire away.
10-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sadsack Quote
Hi all,

Yes, I understand this may seem like a really stupid question, but I was hoping someone could possible tell me what the difference is between, DG, APO, LD, DA, ED, about the only thing I do know is what someone told me in a local camera shop, and that was that camera manufacturers sometimes make shite lenses, and instead of throwing them, they sell them cheaply with a different legend, I.E. LD or ED or whatever it is, (this accounts for my reason for asking) as I was a little hesitent in believing his story.
And the shop in question still hasn't taken down there "Pentax main dealer" sign, as the only cameras they sell were Can or Nik. The manager even told me that Pentax were dead in the water, and that my ME super is far superior than the K-X I had purchased.

sadsack
Your dealer has his head up his arse.

DA & DG mean the same thing - made for APS-C (digital).

APO = Apochromatic

Apochromat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ED means Exta-Low Dispersion. Tamron calls it LD.

Dammit Rio beat me to it. Typing takes too long on an iPad.

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-09-2011 at 03:06 PM.
10-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all,

sadsack
Go to the lens maker websites and they have a "legend" for the lens designations. The shopkeeper obviously doesn't want you to buy Pentax because he won't get to sell you a camera. I would be very wary of buying anything there, sounds a little unscrupulous. It's pretty common for stores to push certain brands and trash those they don't sell, But the lens story is odd, makes you wonder what's going on there.

10-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Your dealer has his head up his arse.
That's, "...up his greedy arse."

QuoteQuote:
DA & DG mean the same thing - made for APS-C (digital).
Slight correction: DG means full-frame. I forget what Sigma calls their crop-sensor lenses -- is it DC? Something like that.

Anyway, a hearty round of disbelief and disdain and shop-elsewhere are called for.
10-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That's, "...up his greedy arse."

Slight correction: DG means full-frame. I forget what Sigma calls their crop-sensor lenses -- is it DC? Something like that.

Anyway, a hearty round of disbelief and disdain and shop-elsewhere are called for.
Yeah, it's DC for APS-C. Too damn many letters.

Sigma Lens Technology
10-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you to RioRico, boriscleto & ramseybuckeye for the help and details.

I did a quick search on Pentax's main site and put in a location for Romford, one of the shops returned was "Jessops" .... And yes I have been in there,.... Where upon the Saturday only worker asked me "Who's Pentax" at which point the Manager then stepped in and explained to me that they haven't touched Pentax equipment for years, but they could help me if I was interested in Can or Nik.

The other shop which still displays the large "Pentax main dealer" sign was Camera Shop - Romford, Essex | T & B Photographic Services and as you can see they don't mention Pentax at all.

I have seen many images taken by other photographers using the K-X but I find it hard to believe that any were taken using the kit lenses,..... although this may just be down to me, but my Kiron 28 - 105mm using kodachrome 25 on my ME super seems to outperform both of my kit lenses, which consist's of the 18 - 55mm and the 50 - 200mm, (I really wanted the 55 - 300mm but it was no longer available).
The kit lenses always seem to be a little soft, just not that pinsharp. Or is this simply due to the way digital works.
Maybe it is just me, .... I spent all my time on manual on the ME and never used Auto, now it's the other way round.... lol Manual seems to be a no-go area, that doesn't seem to feel as natural as it did using my old ME.

Thanks again for your time chaps..

Sadsack

ooops nearly forgot.... after doing some extensive searching I found this that may be of use to other noobs like myself.... I bet it's already been posted though.... lol

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

Last edited by sadsack; 10-09-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Update:
10-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I have seen many images taken by other photographers using the K-X but I find it hard to believe that any were taken using the kit lenses,..... although this may just be down to me, but my Kiron 28 - 105mm using kodachrome 25 on my ME super seems to outperform both of my kit lenses, which consist's of the 18 - 55mm and the 50 - 200mm, (I really wanted the 55 - 300mm but it was no longer available).
The kit lenses always seem to be a little soft, just not that pinsharp. Or is this simply due to the way digital works.
Maybe it is just me, .... I spent all my time on manual on the ME and never used Auto, now it's the other way round.... lol Manual seems to be a no-go area, that doesn't seem to feel as natural as it did using my old ME.

ooops nearly forgot.... after doing some extensive searching I found this that may be of use to other noobs like myself.... I bet it's already been posted though.... lol

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
My two most used lenses are the 18-55 & 55-300. My favorite being the 55-300. RioRico prefers the 18-250. I also use the F35-135 and the Sigma A 50/2.8 macro extensively. Next comes the A28/2.8 & A50/1.4 followed by the F35-70, Super Takumar 50/1.4 & S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5. I just got a beat up Helios 44-2 that is going to be used a lot. Have you tried turning off the Lens Correction? How about D-Range Setting? I turn all of that off and shoot RAW. Have you turned Expanded Sensitivity on? This will allow you to use ISO 100. Also don't be afraid to put that Kiron on the K-x. Just set Using Aperture Ring to permitted in custom menu 4 and shoot in M mode.

That mosphotos site is excellent. Haven't seen it before.

10-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that info boriscleto, I will check with my k-x and adjust as necessary and check the differences.

Due to the cost of using film I was always looking at getting at least 25 good shots from a roll of 35, but of course now it all seems so irrelevant. I may even try out my f1.7A k-mount that came with my ME as well.
These changes may make the difference I'm looking for.
I have checked on Ebay for the 55 300mm DAL and DA and there is certainly a large price difference, and from what I have read here, the DAL seems to suffer from noisy AF, AF speed, and Chromatic aberration.
But check out the image of the bee it's almost impossible to believe. Considering when you look at the other images. Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (about half way through). was that really with a DAL.

Cheers

sadsack
10-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Thanks for that info boriscleto, I will check with my k-x and adjust as necessary and check the differences.

Due to the cost of using film I was always looking at getting at least 25 good shots from a roll of 35, but of course now it all seems so irrelevant. I may even try out my f1.7A k-mount that came with my ME as well.
These changes may make the difference I'm looking for.
I have checked on Ebay for the 55 300mm DAL and DA and there is certainly a large price difference, and from what I have read here, the DAL seems to suffer from noisy AF, AF speed, and Chromatic aberration.
But check out the image of the bee it's almost impossible to believe. Considering when you look at the other images. Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (about half way through). was that really with a DAL.

Cheers

sadsack
There are only four differences between the DA and DA L lenses. The DA Ls have no DoF scale, they have a plastic rather than metal mount, they don't have quick shift, and they don't come with a lens hood. You can get a chinese knock off lens hood for less than $20 US. Optically the DA and DA L are the same, and they have the same AF system.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/153150-pentax-d...d-samples.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/153049-pentax-d...s-samples.html
10-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My two most used lenses are the 18-55 & 55-300. My favorite being the 55-300. RioRico prefers the 18-250. I also use the F35-135 and the Sigma A 50/2.8 macro extensively. Next comes the A28/2.8 & A50/1.4 followed by the F35-70, Super Takumar 50/1.4 & S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5. I just got a beat up Helios 44-2 that is going to be used a lot.
And my reason for preferring the DA18-250 over 18-55 plus 50-200 or 55-300 double kits: I shoot a lot around 50mm and hate swapping lenses there. I have the DA18-55 and a Tamron 60-300 and I just don't use them as a set because if exactly that issue. So it's the exceptional/cheap F35-70 for its much-used range, or the 18-250 for a general walkabout.

My other favourites similar to Boris' picks are the M28/2.8 (or more likely the Vivitar-Komine 28/2, or Vivitar-Kiron or Tamron 28/2.5's), the same SuperTak 35/3.5 and 50/1.4 or FA50/1.4, and almost-the-same Helios-44M 58/2. Some of those M42's are more likely to see action on my M42 SLRs; the F35-70 is almost like a bagful of primes on my K20D. I haven't the others in Boris' line-up. Yet.
10-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evening,

On the topic of the kit lenses, stop down some and the kits become very good - f8 to f11. Also take a look at some of these samples...There are quite a few UK shooters using Pentax over there, so the Kx should do you well... Also, you can burn through a couple hundred frame in no time. Just go back to the PC download them and take a look at what you want to do differently the next time around.

You might ask some questions here about how folks here narrowing what ever differences you see between film and digital.

Welcome to the forum...

10-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi all,

sadsack
Let me guess, this was a branch of Jessops ?

Try SRS Microsystems, they KNOW what they're talking about.

SRS Microsystems ? Pentax, Nikon and Olympus Digital Cameras, Camera Accessories and Lenses

I've always had good service from them.
10-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info on SRS Lloydy,

I've been considering purchasing the DA 55-300mm, I've seen it on amazon.co.uk at £279.24 and SRS have it at £275.00. Still trying to make up my mind and make up the money as well.... lol

All the best

sadsack
10-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have seen many images taken by other photographers using the K-X but I find it hard to believe that any were taken using the kit lenses
i have very good lense, but with the kit lense, a bit closed down you can get some very nice shoot, don't be afraid to stop it down a bit.
as said before the lense kit is good between f8 and f11 (and f16 and f22 are no bad).
Obviously it lacks of sharpness before.

i find out all the abreviation. i edit my post as soon as i've translate everything

Mount:

M42 Mount with a screwmount, no autofocus (AF), no automatic aperture, usable with a M42 to K mount adapter.

K 1975 - First K mount version, no AF, no auto aperture. Fully manual.

M 1978 - More compact lense than M version.

A - No AF, but the aperture can be set by the body directly.

F - First version of AF lense.

FA ou AF, 2nd generation of AF lense. Some zoom are motorized (Power Zoom).

FAJ - lense with AF but no aperture ring. The body must be able to set the aperture, or it will be set all the time to the lowest possible (f22 or 32).

DFA - Lense with AF, made with a better coating for digital, but can be use on film body too.

DA - Lense design for digital. Lots of vigneting on film. I suggest you this thread for more details : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html

Abréviations PENTAX

DA - Lense design for digital. Lots of vigneting on film. I suggest you this thread for more details : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html
AL - Aspherical lense
SDM - Supersonic Direct-drive Motor (the AF motor is in the lense, supposed to be faster and quieter than the in body AF)
DC - Direct Current Motor (New kind of SDM)
ED - Low dispersion glasse
IF - Internal focusing (the zoom keep the same size when you zoom in or out.)
SMC - Super Multi Coating (only some old glass won't have this coating.)
Shift - lense that can shift.
Soft - lense that produce some blur, good for portrait.

Abréviations SIGMA

HSM - SDM like (plus rapide, silencieux, permet la retouche manuelle du point en mode AF)
EX - High end of Sigma brand
ASP - Aspherical lense
APO - APOchromatic lense
DC - Digital only (= APS-C)
DG - Design for FF and APS-C
SLD - Low light dispersion lense

Abréviations TAMRON

ASL - Aspherical lense
LD - Low dispersion
AD - Anomalous Dispersion lense (help to reduce CA)
XR - high refraction lense
DI - usable on FF but design for digital.
DI-II - APS-C only
SP - High end of Tamron brand.

Abréviations TOKINA

SD - low dispersion lense
As - Aspherical lense

All you can read on a lense is usefull to tell about some properties of the lense, what you are buying, you know, usefull things in fact

Last edited by aurele; 10-11-2011 at 03:34 PM.