Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #1

Upcoming DA* Lenses?

Well,

I imagine there is a post around here someone regarding the upcoming DA * lenses...

I saw this article from pentax - seems to be from earlier in the year mentioning the upcoming products.
PENTAX NEWS release 2007 : PENTAX to Exhibit Upcoming Digital SLR Camera Products at PMA 2007 in the US and Photo Imaging Expo 2007 in Japan

Currently I just have some basic budget items in my lenses for k10d but looking to upgrade to some quality glass to cure the good ol LBA that we all have. I was just thinking as I am sure other are - when is the long end of the DA* line coming out?

The article shows pictures and mentions the DA * 200mm , 300mm and even 60-250mm.
The fixed lenses they claimed would be out for Sept, and the 250 December. I imagine these are pushed back, but does anyone know for how long?

It seems it would be more prudent to wait for a DA* 300mm or 60-250 instead of buying a used FA* for over a 1,000 dollars off ebay or a local store that you can find it hoping there is nothing really wrong with it. With the DA* 50-135 now under 1,000 it seems like the longer ranges would probably be priced under 2k?

Just figured I would see if anyone had some knowledge about this as I am trying to be rational to satisfy my LBA as hard as it may be.

12-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think a lot of us are expecting big things in the form of these lenses and the tamron 70-200 2.8 (or is it 80-200?) in the first quarter of next year. Well, thats what ive picked up from reading lately.

Doesnt really bother me though, ill be lucky if i can afford the 300 f4. The tamron 70-200 though, at the moment its listing on an online camera place here in canon mount for $800 AUD so if its the same price, it will be in my bag soon after release.
12-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whoa! I have never seen the pictures of them before. That sux, now I want them. I am going to have to work hard to afford those butes! So unfair.

12-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I will have no doubt regarding Da* 300 and Da* 200 capability.

Really really keen to get hands on Da* 200 which would be handy for a lot of sports game shots. Plus hopefully less purple fringeing comparing to the Fa* 200 (which I originally got for 2000 US dollars and resold for 1700 US in the crazy time)

12-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

From what I've heard they are supposed to be announced sometime in january. Can't wait!
12-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

300mm = $$$?????????

do you think pentax will eventually put out 400, 500, 600mm?

will they be comparable of lesser in price than N or C???
12-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know the roadmap .PDF well. And said then when I 1st saw it, what I continue to say now... what's with all those f/4 lenses?! No long f/2.8? It was disappointing.

Sure, it's fine outside in sunny conditions, where you're most likely to be using such long glass. But I don't think I could have gotten the shots I did of birds in very dark gray drizzly weather, with the birds at times under the canopy of a tree, if I had to use f/4 or worse had to stop it down from there for more sharpness.

I am however pretty much 'done' w/the LBA, so it doesn't really matter anymore for me. The one and only addition I imagine or foresee, is if a 70-200mm [or 80-200mm, whatever] f/2.8 lens is shipped. And personally, I don't care if it's shipped by Pentax or Tamron or Sigma (yes, I know about actual announcements and/or speculation on each). But my preference would be a DA* lens. Not enough Pentax glass in my bag. And moreso, then I can take advantage of the Program Line MTF mode.
12-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
... what's with all those f/4 lenses?! No long f/2.8? It was disappointing.
Could be that Pentax have decided they actually want to make a profit and sell lenses rather than have prestige products in the catalogue Canon 300 f2.8 - 2849: f4 - 878 this side of the pond. The very fast long glass is just too niche for Pentax given the current lens range...

12-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won't disagree with the f/4 being the 'commodity' item to sell perhaps 10x (no idea really) over the f/2.8, and a lead to bigger profits. I will also say tho if ya wanna be big ya gotta think big... There's a difference in my view between having it in the catalog and at least available, if even rare, big $, and special order, then not even having it.
12-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
Forum Member

I won't disagree with the f/4 being the 'commodity' item to sell perhaps 10x (no idea really) over the f/2.8, and a lead to bigger profits. I will also say tho if ya wanna be big ya gotta think big... There's a difference in my view between having it in the catalog and at least available, if even rare, big $, and special order, then not even having it.
I believe their long, $$$ FA* glass is still available as special order, at least the 600mm is - if you have the cash. :-) Pentax has made some fantastically long lenses, up to 1200mm I believe. They probably just want to put out lenses that they can actually sell now. Plus, with their emphasis on small, light lenses and cameras, I can't see most of their customers buying the 400mm F2.8 lenses, realistically. But, I can see people picking up the relatively small 300mm F4 lenses, especially since I'm sure they'll be sharp wide open.

Anyway, just my thoughts. :-)
12-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I know the roadmap .PDF well. And said then when I 1st saw it, what I continue to say now... what's with all those f/4 lenses?! No long f/2.8? It was disappointing.
It looks like the DA* 200 2.8 from above will be the only longish fast choice for a while.
12-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If that is true... what is to keep me in a Pentax body?

Let me clarify that statment. Not 'me' personally, because I am fine with the selection of lenses for what I do. But what about people that want to shoot sporting events and need fast/long optics. If the solution for those needs are to get 3rd party lenses, they what is to keep people from buying other bodies.

Last edited by Buddha Jones; 12-10-2007 at 05:39 PM.
12-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
If that is true... what is to keep me in a Pentax body?

Let me clarify that statment. Not 'me' personally, because I am fine with the selection of lenses for what I do. But what about people that want to shoot sporting events and need fast/long optics. If the solution for those needs are to get 3rd party lenses, they what is to keep people from buying other bodies.
Nothing, really, other than all the other stuff we've already got. What pentax was probably thinking was that the 16-50 is the new 24-70, the 50-135 is the new 70-200, the 200 F2.8 is the new 300mm, and the 300mm F4 is the new 500mm. From that point of view, it makes total sense and I can see why they have it set up that way. But, it seems like people want as 'long of a lens' instead of as 'lightweight of a lens' as possible.

To be honest, I love the pentax lenses, but it turns out that I've ended up with mostly sigma EX lenses for various reasons. When I look at replacing them with pentax versions, I just can't bring myself to cash them in yet. They work pretty well. The same would probably be true for the next long telephoto I buy. The Sigma 100-300 F4 seems to be the best compromise for me personally - even if pentax made a fast 300mm, it would be hard to justify.

I guess what keeps me is that they produce pretty good, and very ergonomic bodies that make sense to me and all for pretty good prices. They have a great lens selection in the ranges that I use (even though I've ended up with mostly sigmas, I hope to add some primes), and they are commited to making primes, and to backwards compatibility.

But, I do think they made a real mistake by discontinuing all of their FA and FA* range before they had direct replacements. Hopefully they'll learn from that.
12-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
Inactive Account

DA*400mm 5.6 needs to eventually come out; even in another year

I can't imagine switching to Nikon and never Canon; their bodies are over priced and lack the manual features that I want; f*ck I had trouble even turning on the Power on a Canon; and what is up with the etched in AF markings on the Nikon?????

I have switched to all M42 primes for now; maybe when I have $$ I can get the K body at the time and DA* 400mm 4 and a DA* 500mm 5.6

I shoot wildlife mostly and always want the longer lens; I am looking for the 500mm M42 super tak version

maybe a broadening market share will stimulate a wider selection of lenses??