Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
this is lowest price I got .$750. quoted from the seller" There isn't any warranty on the repair. They had originally replaced the SDM at an earlier point, but it didn't work, so they replaced it this time as a "freebie" - they won't extend warranty on a free repair. It's working better now than it ever has. They also focus adjusted, cleaned...etc.."

what do you guys think? still this or a new one?

10-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
this is lowest price I got .$750. quoted from the seller" There isn't any warranty on the repair. They had originally replaced the SDM at an earlier point, but it didn't work, so they replaced it this time as a "freebie" - they won't extend warranty on a free repair. It's working better now than it ever has. They also focus adjusted, cleaned...etc.."

what do you guys think? still this or a new one?
I think $750 is about the current going rate (and a fair price) for a used DA*50-135. As I stated earlier, I would personally pocket the $200 savings over a new one (assuming they're up to $950 new, I haven't checked in a while) and take my chances knowing that I had enough to pay for a new SDM motor should something happen down the road.

But at the end of the day, you need to do what you're most comfortable with. For a lot of people that includes the peace of mind of buying a new lens with a one-year warranty and/or buying an extended warranty as well. Whatever you do, I think you'll really like the DA*50-135 as its a really great lens despite the potential issue of the SDM motor failing
10-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #18
jac
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Clyde River, Nunavut, Canada
Posts: 2,363
I agree with Dan and would add one more point. I traded-up my DA*50-135 for a DA*60-250 with a reputable member who has listed it again, roughly the price of Dan's math above. I had no problems and the other member didn't. If the price is right, you have confidence in the seller and the lens has obviously enough use to get by that risky first few months, used is often a pretty good bet.
10-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
A used MANUAL lens with no history of issues, that's one thing. But a used AF lens (especially SDM) with known issues? Only buy if the seller has a no-questions return policy. Otherwise, buy new, with same return policy, and a sufficient warranty.

10-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NewYork
Posts: 899
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A used MANUAL lens with no history of issues, that's one thing. But a used AF lens (especially SDM) with known issues? Only buy if the seller has a no-questions return policy. Otherwise, buy new, with same return policy, and a sufficient warranty.
That's a very good point. If the seller doesn't have a decent term no questions asked return policy, I wouldn't even consider it. Just because sdm is the common problem with this lens doesn't discount the fact that there are lots of other issues an autofocus lens can have. For all you know, someone dropped it and there are internal problems, but there was a lens hood on so there was no physical external damage. I'n not sure if it si the same model, but keh has one for 750$ with a 6 month warranty (at least I think they give 6 months on all used lenses). Does the seller give any kind of guarantee or warranty in general since you are paying almost what a new one costs?

Pentax Digital 50-135 F2.8 SMC DA ED INTERNAL FOCUS SDM (67) WITH HOOD, CAPS, CASE, DIGITAL SLR ZOOM STANDARD ANGLE LENS - KEH.com
10-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A used MANUAL lens with no history of issues, that's one thing. But a used AF lens (especially SDM) with known issues? Only buy if the seller has a no-questions return policy. Otherwise, buy new, with same return policy, and a sufficient warranty.
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
That's a very good point. If the seller doesn't have a decent term no questions asked return policy, I wouldn't even consider it. Just because sdm is the common problem with this lens doesn't discount the fact that there are lots of other issues an autofocus lens can have. For all you know, someone dropped it and there are internal problems, but there was a lens hood on so there was no physical external damage.
That goes without saying. I'm certainly not suggesting to anyone that they buy a lens from a seller who isn't willing to stand behind what they're selling. It is a given that the seller should accept a return if (upon receipt) you found there was an issue with the lens (be it an AF issue or otherwise).


QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I'n not sure if it si the same model, but keh has one for 750$ with a 6 month warranty (at least I think they give 6 months on all used lenses). Does the seller give any kind of guarantee or warranty in general since you are paying almost what a new one costs?

Pentax Digital 50-135 F2.8 SMC DA ED INTERNAL FOCUS SDM (67) WITH HOOD, CAPS, CASE, DIGITAL SLR ZOOM STANDARD ANGLE LENS - KEH.com
That is the same lens in question, and a better deal as you are indeed backed by both a nice return policy AND a 6 month warranty from KEH. I buy from KEH fairly often and feel it's a great place to shop (not always the best prices, although in the case of the linked DA*50-135, that's not bad either given the current market price for one).
10-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #22
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
That's a very good point. If the seller doesn't have a decent term no questions asked return policy, I wouldn't even consider it. Just because sdm is the common problem with this lens doesn't discount the fact that there are lots of other issues an autofocus lens can have. For all you know, someone dropped it and there are internal problems, but there was a lens hood on so there was no physical external damage. I'n not sure if it si the same model, but keh has one for 750$ with a 6 month warranty (at least I think they give 6 months on all used lenses). Does the seller give any kind of guarantee or warranty in general since you are paying almost what a new one costs?

Pentax Digital 50-135 F2.8 SMC DA ED INTERNAL FOCUS SDM (67) WITH HOOD, CAPS, CASE, DIGITAL SLR ZOOM STANDARD ANGLE LENS - KEH.com
already being sold..
10-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you don't specifically need the weather sealing of the DA*, perhaps consider the tamron 70-200mm? It's cheaper and comes with a 6-year warranty.

AF001P700 Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 DI LD (IF) Macro, Fast AF Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax Autofocus Mount - USA Warranty
I was thinking about it but it's too heavy and 70mm is bit too long for wedding, indoor event photography. Love my Tammy 28-75 with 6 year warranty but I also need that 50mm length.

Derek

10-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Aegon's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,413
I'll add one more personal opinion here:

Don't buy a repaired lens. I've seen many tales of woe and hardship where one unlucky owner has returned the same lens for SDM repair many times.

My reasoning is anecdotal and isn't built on a foundation of hard underlying data. But that's what I'd do.
10-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,196
QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
this is lowest price I got .$750. quoted from the seller" There isn't any warranty on the repair. They had originally replaced the SDM at an earlier point, but it didn't work, so they replaced it this time as a "freebie" - they won't extend warranty on a free repair. It's working better now than it ever has. They also focus adjusted, cleaned...etc.."

what do you guys think? still this or a new one?
Ask to see the receipt of the repair(s), and ask for 14 day return privilege.

If they are granted, I'd buy it. A new one is what? $950? That's $200 that can be saved for a (possible) repair.

FYI, except for the Tamron 18-250 and the Pentax 10-17 FE, all of my lenses were bought used. Similar to the DA* 50-135 in question here, my DA* 16-50 had gone through two SDM repair jobs before I bought it.

I sold bunch of lenses too. None of the buyer has come back and complained.

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-12-2011 at 02:40 PM.
10-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #26
JHD
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,407
I'd wouldn't buy a used lens SDM lens - period. I wouldn't buy a new one either... I'd wouldn't buy a used lens (or anything else for that matter) unless I got a screaming good deal. To save 30% over the price of a new one won't cut it for me. I'd rather have brand new one with a full warranty. With a used lens you've always got a wonder has it been dropped, smacked, banged around etc. No thanks.
10-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I'd wouldn't buy a used lens SDM lens - period. I wouldn't buy a new one either... I'd wouldn't buy a used lens (or anything else for that matter) unless I got a screaming good deal. To save 30% over the price of a new one won't cut it for me. I'd rather have brand new one with a full warranty. With a used lens you've always got a wonder has it been dropped, smacked, banged around etc. No thanks.
Well, I suppose someone has to buy the lenses new so that I can save 30% later
10-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #28
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
I think everyone has a valid point.
10-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #29
Banned




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 321
Original Poster
found a good deal on brand new K5 in Canada, does anyone know if there will be any import tax on it?
10-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,435
No, there is no import tax. I have purchased several lenses from Prodigital 2000 and the purchase was very simple.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Takumar 135 2.5 vs Super Tak 135 3.5, both bayonet mount, which is better? chongmic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 04-09-2011 11:55 PM
When to purchase K-7 from US cbaytan Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 12-19-2009 02:37 AM
Purchase DA70 or keep using my DA*50-135? dugrant153 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 03-15-2009 07:33 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top