Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #31
Pentaxian

No, you won't pay import taxes.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/37662-customs-duty...tml#post350346

10-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
found a good deal on brand new K5 in Canada, does anyone know if there will be any import tax on it?
Check the warranties, both 'regular' and extended, and factor them in the price.

I think extended warranty (total of 3 yr + 1 time clean & adjustment) is good to have.
10-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
..... Or the third case, let's say you don't end up with a failure during the time you own the lens. Well in that case you end up with an extra $150 in your pocket. Obviously the above doesn't account for the slim possibility that the lens fails twice (which I realize can and has happened on occasion). .......
Does that happen with DA lenses? Maybe it's safe to take my DA17-70 out of the box that it arrived in since it came back from Pentax the second time. Ops, sorry to discourage the original poster.
10-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
Does that happen with DA lenses? Maybe it's safe to take my DA17-70 out of the box that it arrived in since it came back from Pentax the second time. Ops, sorry to discourage the original poster.
So let's say the failure rate of a SDM motor is 10% in a given year for a given lens. Then about 1% of owners would have two failures in a given year (give or take). So while there might be dozens or even hundreds of people who have experienced more than one failure, the likelihood of it happening to a given individual is very low and probably not worth worrying about IMO. I contend that it's far more likely you'll have zero failures than two or more, and therefore you are much more likely to be "up" $150 having never needed a repair than down and extra $150 for a second repair.

Again, take my opinion for what its worth as I know a lot of people disagree with the way I view the issue

Interestingly, I've owned every SDM lenses Pentax makes and the only one I had a problem with was the DA17-70 (I bought it used, it had an issue upon receipt, and the seller refunded me $180 to have it repaired).

10-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #35
Banned

Original Poster
Final thought.. which one would you buy:

1- Canadian retail $999 + $12.95 shipping comes with 2 year Pentax Canada warranty ( not eligible for square trade warranty ) or

2- B&H $1199 one year Pentax U.S warranty + AMEX one year extra ( eligible for square trade warranty )

Derek

Last edited by dr_romix; 10-13-2011 at 08:33 PM.
10-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Final thought.. which one would you buy:

1- Canadian retail $999 + $12.95 shipping comes with 2 year Pentax Canada warranty ( not eligible for square trade warranty ) or

2- B&H $1199 one year Pentax U.S warranty + AMEX one year extra ( eligible for square trade warranty )
About (1): check to make sure the Canadian warranty is honored in the US. You may be surprised. (Edited to add: I just found this).

About (2):

- There is a limit as how much AMEX extra warranty covers. Check to make sure.

- If you buy a K5 from a Pentax dealer in the US (B&H is one), for only $20 more, you can get the 2 yr. extended warranty for the total of 3 years (link). This extended warranty also gives you a one-time check up & adjustment during that 3 years.
10-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #37
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
About (1): check to make sure the Canadian warranty is honored in the US. You may be surprised.

About (2):

- There is a limit as how much AMEX extra warranty covers. Check to make sure.

- If you buy a K5 from a Pentax dealer in the US (B&H is one), for only $20 more, you can get the 2 yr. extended warranty for the total of 3 years (link). This extended warranty also gives you a one-time check up & adjustment during that 3 years.

U.S doesn't recognize Canadian warranty..

I think B&H deal you sent me is great cuz I can also top it up with one year of AMEX...
10-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is there any reason you couldn't send it back to Canada for service?

10-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #39
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Is there any reason you couldn't send it back to Canada for service?
no. All I have to do is to pay for shipping or make an excuse to visit my god father in the meantime in Canada too.

I talked to Amex and they said I could get it repaired in the U.S at any repair center during the 3rd year warranty if anything happened,
10-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I think B&H deal you sent me is great cuz I can also top it up with one year of AMEX...
Just to clarify. You wouldn't have a two year warranty with a lens purchased from Canada, but you would have a one year international warranty with the lens (same length of time that comes with lenses sold in the US). I have had lenses taken care of under the international warranty and it isn't a big deal.
10-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #41
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just to clarify. You wouldn't have a two year warranty with a lens purchased from Canada, but you would have a one year international warranty with the lens (same length of time that comes with lenses sold in the US). I have had lenses taken care of under the international warranty and it isn't a big deal.
I'm going to only get the camera from Canada. B&H offers better deal on 50-135 in the U.S
10-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #42
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

I think I'm going to call Pentax in Colorado today discuss the whole warranty thing...

Thanks
10-14-2011, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #43
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When it comes to SDM lenses, there is no such thing as too much warranty.
10-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #44
Banned

Original Poster
agree with JHD. I need at least 2 years on 50-135....know someone whose 50-135 SDM failed a week after the his 2 year warranty expired and had to pay $$$ to get it repaired..
10-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #45
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
....know someone whose 50-135 SDM failed a week after the his 2 year warranty expired and had to pay $$$ to get it repaired..
That's harsh!

Three months after the warranty expired, Sony Canada repaired an amplifier for me free of charge. When I asked them why they didn't charge me, they said they have a period of grace that extends beyond the warranty. They didn't say how long it was, and I never asked. That IMO is pretty classy.