Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax A Lens'

As you can tell from my profile, I have a K10D with the 18-55 DA kit lens. I am looking to expand my lens inventory but can't afford to buy any good glass in DA or FA series. What I would like to ask you knowledgeable members is for a list or a number of recommendations of "A" lens that are good to excellent quality. I will be scouring the city looking for "hidden deals" and would appreciate your feedback as to what jewels I should be looking for. If you have any idea as to price that would be much appreciated but I understand that me being up here in Canada, the prices may not match. I am interested in both primes and zooms and would use the lens' for nature and everyday use. This cash strung amateur thanks you in advance for your assistance.

12-10-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suggest the A70-210 F4. Sharp enough and sturdy built. Watch out for zoom creep. If you find the F70-210 it is also a good lens.

Cheers
Eddie
12-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
Syb
Veteran Member

SMC FA50mm/1.4
About US$225,-
An absolute must-have.

And/Or: SMC-(non-A)135/2.5
I just got this one, priced on ebay about US $160. Worth every penny.

And/Or: SMC-A 200/4
That is a very decent lens, too. I do not have it, but wish I did...
12-10-2007, 05:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You pretty much can't go wrong with any of Pentax's fast fifties, from a bang-for-buck perspective. For any used lenses, this is the best place to go, in my opinion:

KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More.

If you want excellent lenses for not a lot of money, I would also consider old Pentax screwmount lenses. You need an adapter and have to use the aperture ring, but they are mostly of excellent optical quality, and their build is outstanding. Not "A" lenses, but you can still use Av mode quite easily.

A screwmount Super-Takumar 50/1.4 was my first foray into the world of prime lenses (probably 10 or 15 lenses ago), and I haven't looked back.

12-10-2007, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the
A 28 F2.8 and the
A50 F1.7 that have seen a fair amount of use.

The A 28 is a good match with the K10D.

Here is a shot from Feb using the istD and 28.

Playing from the fire hazard: Photo by Photographer David Brooks - photo.net

Dave
12-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For starters, you might check out the Lens Review database on this site to see which A lenses are getting high marks from users. You could also go to the Pentax Photo Gallery and search the pics based on A lenses that you're interested in just to see what they're capable of producing. The good news is that it would almost be easier to list Pentax lenses to avoid rather than which ones to seek out because most Pentax glass is pretty good. I don't know how it is in Canada, but here in Oklahoma, pricing can vary wildly depending on where you find a particular lens. I'm still kicking myself for passing on a 135mm f2.8 that I saw in a junk shop for $10 this past spring. Garage sales, junk shops, pawnshops, and the back shelves of your local camera stores are good places to start looking. Good luck!