Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Promaster 100mm f3.5 Macro MF or AF

Hi,

I have seen the AF version of this lens for 199$ and MF version for 149$ on Amazon.com
I have been considering this lens for a while, especially after reading good reviews on it (vivitar, cosina, phoenix versions). The prices in amazon are more but I am not seeing this lens in ebay either for Pentax mount?

Did someone use the AF version and is it worth the price over the MF version?

Cheers
Guna

10-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MF version is just the AF version without part of the screwdrive mechanism, and some electronics. The most useful part is the electronics, I think, because they tell the camera what the focal length is. (I think there's a version with no A position on the aperture ring too; I would avoid that one.) It allows you to skip the focal length setting step.

For actual macro use, AF is at least sometimes not that useful, especially close to the minimum focus distance. It does make the lens more useful for general purpose use, though. AF also means you don't have to use manual focus, which feels very plasticky on this lens because it is entirely plastic on plastic. The lens doesn't have a focus limiter. It's a coin toss. Last month I would have said don't bother with AF, but I just got a macro with AF and I use it often, mostly for general shots.
10-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
For actual macro use, AF is at least sometimes not that useful, especially close to the minimum focus distance. It does make the lens more useful for general purpose use, though. AF also means you don't have to use manual focus, which feels very plasticky on this lens because it is entirely plastic on plastic. The lens doesn't have a focus limiter. It's a coin toss. Last month I would have said don't bother with AF, but I just got a macro with AF and I use it often, mostly for general shots.
Hi thanks for the reply.

My next question would be - is the 199$ for the AF version worth it?

Guna
11-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh hell yes. The Promaster AF version of this lens is on my camera more often than not. It's an AMAZINGLY sharp lens, and it's my walkaround lens now. I use it more than my 28-70. Yeah, it's a little more limiting, but it's really, really fun to use for general shooting. And it makes some damn fine macro shots as well. Check this:

It's also extremely useful for general photography, and at f/3.5 it is useful even in low light. Check this:

Charles.