Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Lbaa?

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
I agree Philoslothical.... the inner competitor in me just raised its ugly head at that statement.... THIS is why I don't gamble or play poker...

I just went and bid on a k100d Super that comes with manual lenses EVEN THOUGH I just won a k100d yesterday...... *bangs head against wall*

Oh gawd.... more compatible lenses??? It's like an neverending Tunnel of Doom.

Please, please, please, is there anybody else out there who's fallen as badly as me??? Please write to make me feel less alone!!!
Is there an LBAA? Or is it time to form a chapter of LBAA and say, My name is Wolfiegirl and I am a Lens Buying Addict!!!! Cliff

10-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
LOL. That's a great idea. It wouldn't be duplicating any other thread? If not, I'll go start one right now. It might help distract me from surfing ebay. LOL

----

ok went to check. There is a LBA Anonymous thread up. Great for a giggle!!!
10-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Do a search on lbaa and read a couple of the posts, why i hate pentax forums..........C
10-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Hrmm.. that linky dun work *pouts*
Oops. Sorry. I'll see if I can put a copy up somewhere. Stay tuned.

EDIT: OK, here it is. Read and weep.

Last edited by RioRico; 10-24-2011 at 12:11 AM.
10-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #140
Veteran Member

I'd be happy to host anything like that for you guys, as long as it's not stuff that would bring me legal trouble (copyright infringements and such).
10-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #141
Pentaxian

ok went to check. There is a LBA Anonymous thread up. Great for a giggle!!!
I've been out of touch with my computer over the weekend, Just checked out The LBA Anonymous thread...........Giggle.........Giggle..thanlks Cliff
10-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #142
Veteran Member

The Lens Collectors Vade Mecum is now right here. Really. When 4000 lenses just aren't enough...

Thanks for hosting it, Philoslothical!
10-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Bruce,

I was just reading the thread on the 'where do you keep your lenses?'. Luckily it's super dry here in Canberra so it's not an urgent priority for me. Every time I go back to Sydney I'm amazed at how humid it is. And I grew up there! I don't think I realised how bad it was until I moved out here to Wasteland Canberra. lol.

I haven't decided what to do about my lens storage atm. Right now they're just lying higgledy piggledy around the house, and are usually wrapped in a scarf in a dedicated bag when I'm wandering out looking for things to shoot.

Are you finding you'll need to get a bigger humidity cabinet? That rule of thumb of "you can never have too much storage?" *giggles*

I did get some nice shots at Floriade, despite the fact that most of the flowers being past their best. You can see some of the shots (if you're super bored or curious) in my albums.
I end up with a Dry cabinet branded Wonderful from the European camera store in Sydney (they are a Nikon shop, but still serve us Pentax types). thought it would be large enough (120 litres three draws), but I don't have any room left for any more lenses! Funny the Boss didn't bat an eyelid when I bought it, in fact she said that I should look after the lenss as they have cost sooooo much (I am still not sure if she was being sarcastic or not). Not sure of the 'need' in Sydney, but it it does get tropical here this time of year. Agree Canberra is too dry to worry about a special dry cabinet (grew up in Yass so know the area), perhaps a four draw filing cabinet (lots of room for more lenses).

Must get to Floriade next year!!!!!!!!

10-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #144
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Bruce!

I grew up in Sydney and I don't think I realised how humid Sydney was until I moved down here to Canberra a few years ago. I reckon probably safer than sorry up there. Says I looking at my fancy thermometer that says it's currently 39% humidity despite a bit of sprinkling outside...

Geez.. 120 Litres with three drawers? And all full? How many lenses do you have????

A tip if you want to go to Floriade - go earlier rather than later. Sure you'll be mobbed with people but at least the flowers will be at their best. I was there at what technically would've been the last day (except they kept it open for the Queen a few days later) and a lot of the flowers are already past their best and you miss the core concept of what Floriade is (patterns and lovely images created with flowers alone)
10-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #145

Photos: Albums
A tip if you want to go to Floriade - go earlier rather than later. Sure you'll be mobbed with people but at least the flowers will be at their best. I was there at what technically would've been the last day (except they kept it open for the Queen a few days later) and a lot of the flowers are already past their best and you miss the core concept of what Floriade is (patterns and lovely images created with flowers alone)
Five days before close and a lot of the beds were past their prime but still quite splendid. The blooms were early this year according to locals. A few miles north on the return trip to Sydney, we stopped at a place called Hidden Valley. Well protected from the heat and wind the gardens there were a delight.
10-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Well I have to win the auction first. I put in a bid just so I could tell myself I was giving it a shot. But it's only just come up so chances are I won't win. The luckiest one I've seen was a person who got the K100d Super with lenses for $250 with only one bid. DELIVERED. Now that's one lucky sod..

I've been eyeing some of the newer bodies but I'm not sure I'm ready to take the step up yet. Although I'd love the higher pixel count (I'm telling myself it matters). So I figured just getting another of the same body would at least mean I have one machine for the bayonets and one for the m42s. That's what I'm telling myself anyhow.

I um, think it's probably a 60/40 of both. If I try (and note the word is "try") to be disciplined I can look for things to shoot - like I want a cheapy macro and a fast AF zoom or even an AF prime for the doggies.

But there is that thrill of the chase and a *big* acquiring to acquire coz I could *potentially* get a good deal. I *knew* saving up all those years ago was a good idea..... but boy it's scary watching it all dwindle
Geez, in this buying frenzy you've been on (bodies and lenses left, right and centre), I thought you had forgotten about your intent to find a macro lens - kept it on the backburner, have you? Have you checked out the Marketplace lately? Just1MoreDave has two very excellent macro lenses at a very good price: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/162565-sale-t...k-adapter.html and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/162356-sale-p...1-1-macro.html

Pricewise, the Tamron 90/2.5 can't be beat, same one sold on eBay very recently for 203.00 with a Nikon Adaptall mount. It has 1:2 native magnification ratio, add a 50mm extension tube and you can get slightly better than 1:1 ratio. The Panagor I have no direct experience with but all that I have heard about the lens indicate that it's a very sharp macro lens with 1:1 magnification ratio. Hell, if I didn't already have four macro lenses (hopeless case of LBA ), I would have made an offer on the Panagor.
10-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #147
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think I even read the description. All I would've seen was the price - over $100 and dismissed it. I've got a $50 limit set on all lenses I buy. (This doesn't include group buys, where I'll go over as long as the avg price per lens drops to below $50). See? I'm disciplined! gawd....

And yes, I know. If I just bit the bullet and paid $100 (!!!) for a lens (!!!) I could get what I really needed and just move on. Right? Hrmmm.... not sure the LBA is gonna let me do that...

I'm still on the buying frenzy. Am currently enquiring about the k20d (despite me just winning a k100d <-- had total buyer's remorse over this one because I really should be upgrading. At least I didn't go and buy an istd* instead...) Anyway, my theory is, if they say yes, then I can sell the k100d back out there.

Just went and bought a 300mm preset (so I can take shots of all the native birds around my property - uhuh) and um, what else have I done today? Oh! Bought a m42 adapter. Another one, because I can't wait any longer for the one I ordered from China. See, my Asahi Spotmatic set arrived today. A Supertak 1:1.8, Supertak 1:3.5 55mm (that's my third one btw if you're still counting), and a Makinon 28-80mm. They were all in mint condition (!!!!!) and cost me less than $100 shipped.

I need to probably test everything out properly and then start selling back what I don't need to recoup my costs. Coz man, it's a bloodbath here!
10-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #148
Veteran Member

Just try to remember that it shouldn't be about how many lenses are in your arsenal, but rather what they will let you do with your camera. A lot of great quality lenses you simply won't find for $50, but they aren't outrageous either. If they help you produce better IQ than 3 or 4 cheapies that end up sitting on your shelf, or in your camera bag, you're better off.
10-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #149
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, good point philoslothical. I think some of it is also exploring what old glass has to offer. So far I've been very excited with the primes that have come my way.

I'm getting close to considering looking at lenses over the $100 mark. I did bid on a Pentax macro on ebay but lost out - I think it went for $90 shipped? Either way, I need to feel comfortable about doing that and finding the right 'deal' for me and it may take me a little while to get there. I'm rereading the two listings excanonfd recommended and having a think about it.

I've also got a bunch of plus/close up filter lenses coming, plus this bellows sitting on my coffee table waiting to be cleaned up (another m42 mount). I think my macro search might be put on hold for a while, while I get sidetracked exploring all these other lenses.

But yes, philoslothical. You def. have a good point there about what an expensive lens will do compared to a cheapie
10-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #150
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey, for a quick & cheap & good macro lens, use a reverse ring on any prime you have.
A bit close working distance, Can increase DOF with f22 by using flash, hand to focus, and finger at aperture level.

Good cheap lens lot can be found, but often hidden or in local places that seller just be happy to get rid of them.