Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Optically and mechanically M42 Takumars are among the best lens ever made, anywhere, anytime, by anybody, ever. The 35/3.5 is a razor with soul, the 55/1.8 is awesome too. Soligor is generally considered mediocre though I've seen some nice photos taken by soligors. Makinon, I dunno...

I assume you've visited the Takumar Lens Club Forum.

Looks like there is more lenses on the desk then on the list.

11-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I bet O is open and C is close. Probably so you can focus wide open, then close down to the preset aperture.
hrmm.. that sounds like lots of experimenting. i'm just processing piccies from the takumar 135 atm. i can't remember.. was that a preset? It's under the pile of lenses on my desk somewhere. can't find it atm. oh well. i do see the flare that some ppl talk about (I was directing the lens straight into the sun through dappled trees) but I also got some amazingly vibrant and sharp piccies of the girl that i thought were too dark. wow!

QuoteQuote:
I like the Takumar 55mm, pretty much the same optics from the early 60s through the K version. I just counted - over four years I have owned 17 of them. I have at least 4 at the moment.

I'm not taking a picture of my desk. A few months ago I was surprised to see two Pentax-M 50mm f1.7s on it. I forgot I had two.

My wife has actually said, "Whatever you want to do with those lenses is fine by me." So no hiding is required, but she does ask me to sometimes pick up the photo studio. She thinks it's a spare bedroom.
17 55s... you wouldn't think they'd be so common...

that's too funny that you discover gems on your desk. i was digging through my bag on the weekend and was like, 'oh! what's this lens?'

that's wonderful that you have such an understanding wife. i wish my hubby was the same. ah well. i'll just have to keep showing him amazing pics and hope that that'll be enough for him to realise it really is an 'investment'

don't get me started on studios. we bought our house with a separate studio area explicitly for my hobbies. it's the only way to keep the house tidy.... and yet.... there's been rumblings of taking over the studio for 'guest quarters' the last few months. apparently it's time for me to "share"
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wofie, a preset lens dates from a time before auto exposure bodies, and of course digital.

The photographer would decide what aperture he/she desired and turn the parture ring to that mark (say f8) then 'open' the lens to its max value (perhaps f2.8 for example) to focus, so as to let the maximum amount of light into the viewfinder. Once focus and exposure were set, the lens was then 'stopped down again, back against the stop you had set initially (F8)

With more modern lenses and bodies, we set the aperture by twidling the dial on the body, (or setting the lens to auto) but the lens does not stop down until the shutter button is pressed. Thus automatic exposure and we dont actually have to deal with dim dark viewfinders. One day try attaching a manual lens to a body and looking through the VF as you manually stop down the lens and the VF image fades to black. This is the problem that pre-sets were designed to overcome.
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
My M42 adapter has just arrived. Which means all my Christmases have come at once.
Mazel tov!

QuoteQuote:
1. Makinon Mc 28-80 zoom 1:3.5 Auto, 72mm.
... then one for A and M, with m possibly meaning macro? because there's the word macro above the m on the second ring... But maybe it means manual vs auto?
That's right. A means it Auto-stops-down on an auto M42 body. You want to set it to M for Manual, else it'll be stuck wide open. M on a lens almost always means Manual, not Macro. Just like on a car transmission, R does not mean Racing. Oh yeah, let's run through the gears: 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th, and then when you're almost up to speed, throw it into R for Racing. Expect spectacular results.

QuoteQuote:
2. Soligor Telephoto 1:3.5 180mm
This only has 3 dials to turn, one of which has 0 on the right and C on the left. No idea what that means...
Open and Close. Set the aperture you want to use, set that dial to O(pen), preview the scene, then roll it to C(losed) to meter and shoot.

QuoteQuote:
3. And then here come the Takkies...

SMC Tak 1:3.5/35
Super Tak 1:1/8/55
SMC Tak 1:1.8/55
SMC Tak 1:1.8/55 hrmm.. just realised that's a double. well least that'll stop me from having to test out both...
The 35/3.5 is great. One Tak 55/1.8 is enough; keep the best S-M-C. Unless you want to build a library of multiple copies and slight variants, you don't need the SuperTak (older coatings) and the extra S-M-C.

How to test them: GET OUT THERE AND SHOOT! Anything you don't like, wait a couple months and sell it profitably on eBay. Unless Earth is hit by a giant asteroid first. I hate when that happens.

11-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #215
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Optically and mechanically M42 Takumars are among the best lens ever made, anywhere, anytime, by anybody, ever. The 35/3.5 is a razor with soul, the 55/1.8 is awesome too. Soligor is generally considered mediocre though I've seen some nice photos taken by soligors. Makinon, I dunno...

I assume you've visited the Takumar Lens Club Forum.

Yes I've been reading some of the Tak Club posts. Mainly admiring the portraits in the last few pages. Am hoping to contribute a few piccies after I get out and about with them.

The 35/3.5 came mint in a Takky case alongside the Makinon and a 1.8/55. That was a good purchase that one. I figure if the original owner had enough taste to keep the boxes and keep the lenses so they looked like new the lenses can't be all that bad?

I like your description about the razor with soul. I might start off with that one and see if it renders my puppies any differently from usual. As I was saying above the 135 Tak was absolutely vibrant on my girl. So impressed.

The Soligor, the one review I found on the database makes reference to someone who raved about it, but there's only one review, so.... The Soligor came in a different lot alongside a m42 bellows, a spottie, and another SMC 1.8/55 Tak (this one very worn and tired but still fairly good glass - the filter ring is stuck on permanently. i can't seem to wedge it off and I'm too scared to use too much brute force *flexes biceps*)
11-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #216
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That's right. A means it Auto-stops-down on an auto M42 body. You want to set it to M for Manual, else it'll be stuck wide open. M on a lens almost always means Manual, not Macro. Just like on a car transmission, R does not mean Racing. Oh yeah, let's run through the gears: 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th, and then when you're almost up to speed, throw it into R for Racing. Expect spectacular results.

Now that's an image..

Thanks for the tips on the O and C. Sounds a bit tricky, but I'll give it a go!

QuoteQuote:
The 35/3.5 is great. One Tak 55/1.8 is enough; keep the best S-M-C. Unless you want to build a library of multiple copies and slight variants, you don't need the SuperTak (older coatings) and the extra S-M-C.
okey doke! *sets aside the SuperTak and tired SMC.*

QuoteQuote:
How to test them: GET OUT THERE AND SHOOT! Anything you don't like, wait a couple months and sell it profitably on eBay. Unless Earth is hit by a giant asteroid first. I hate when that happens.
easier said than done atm rico! I'm stuck in the office until 5 and there's only so much of my messy desk i'm willing to photograph..
11-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #217
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Wofie, a preset lens dates from a time before auto exposure bodies, and of course digital.

The photographer would decide what aperture he/she desired and turn the parture ring to that mark (say f8) then 'open' the lens to its max value (perhaps f2.8 for example) to focus, so as to let the maximum amount of light into the viewfinder. Once focus and exposure were set, the lens was then 'stopped down again, back against the stop you had set initially (F8)

With more modern lenses and bodies, we set the aperture by twidling the dial on the body, (or setting the lens to auto) but the lens does not stop down until the shutter button is pressed. Thus automatic exposure and we dont actually have to deal with dim dark viewfinders. One day try attaching a manual lens to a body and looking through the VF as you manually stop down the lens and the VF image fades to black. This is the problem that pre-sets were designed to overcome.
thanks for the advice wiz! i might print out these instructions to try out tonight. i'm going to be without a lappie tonight so it means no internet. boooo... but it also means lots of shooting time with the pups. the things we do out here in the bush...
11-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #218
Veteran Member

The SMC and Super Takumars speak for themselves but you might have a sleeper on your hands with the Soligor 180/3.5: Soligor(Komine) 180/3.5 if you haven't seen this thread at mflenses, please do so. This lens looks like another very good buy for you, it would be best to put on a lens hood on this before shooting. Makinon lenses were always the cheapest (then Sigma) in the camera stores in during my film days and not very well thought of by shooters, but they probably have a sleeper or two in their line up as well.

11-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #219
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey excanonfd,

Thanks for the linky. I'll go check it out. The soligor, the glass is set a little ways back from the filter rings. and the slope to the actual glass seems a bit deeper than the taks. i'll see what kind of hoods i can find online that will match. i've seen lots of different shaped hoods on ebay. 'petal' 'rubber' 'square' - are there particular reasons to use particular shaped hoods? or do i just get one that fits? i think it's a 58mm lip, but upon closer inspection there's a slight dent..... hrmm i'm struggling to screw on a filter on it atm

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-07-2011 at 09:59 PM.
11-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #220
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Only just saw this line riff.

bwahaha.. well I only listed the m42s. my 300m tammy's hiding under there as well as the vivi minolta and the yashica kiron that i need to get rid of. *sigh*
11-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #221
Pentaxian

ok, while we are talking about desktop lens collections. Here is my 'desk of shame' (or is that fame?) Nothing pretty about the arrangement. My lenses in their natural habitat.

All these wonderful (and some not so wonderful) lenses usually just sit here gathering dust while the DA's and FA's in my camera bag get all the workout.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
11-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #222
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just had a look at the manual lenses forum re soligor, and yup, that first piccy is my lens. sweet! And I also have 15 blades!!! phwoarrrr... I wasn't expecting that! FASCINATING.
Wish I was at home to take piccies..... it's been rainy all day - perfect photography weather!!!
11-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #223
Pentaxian

Original Poster
wow wiz... what is that mammoth lens in the foreground???

if your lenses aren't getting any love i'm happy to take them out for a spin....

oh who am i kidding? i can't even get to all of mine to share the love...
11-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #224
Pentaxian

that, wolfiegirl, is the aforesaid 500 F4.5
11-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #225
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ah i c.... i have good eyes don't i wiz? bwahahaha