Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter

The bargains are still out there. I was eyeing off a 50mm macro-takumar in good condition 2 or 3 days ago, an original 1:1 with the cool bokeh - about 30 mins before the end I got called into an urgent meeting...and I got out about 4 mins after the auction ended. It sold for 55 bucks. Many would consider it good value if they paid twice that. But...you kick yourself...and keep looking for that next bargain...

10-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
We can't win you in rugby, we can't win you in cricket, but I'll make it my life’s mission to win you in buying old lenses!!!

*toooooo* funny! Are we starting a competition altopiet? Are we going to have to start a new thread to list what our best buys were? Winner umm... gets first dibs at another lens? bwahahahha

I also feel your pain re shipping. There was a lens and camera kit I enquired about that came back with a $40 shipping price! Stopped my negotiations short, I can tell you!

Well, perhaps there are lots of other k100dslr users who have hit the 'enough is enough' point and decided to investigate older lenses? I swear I only started buying on Monday!! So it can't be me. And I'm on a budget anyway.

I also need to start looking locally. The problem is I'm in a farming community. Not exactly the best place to go digging for slr lenses, is it? Scuse me babe, could you just hold that sheep a little higher so I can get the perfect shot? *snap* Wait! Wait!! Don't douse the tails yet!!! If we wait five more minutes the light will be PERFECT!!! What do you mean the sheep can't wait?

Oh no, you have family here?? *starts getting worried*
10-14-2011, 03:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The initial post is a textbook case of LBA .

As for the quest for a macro lens you might look into the Cosina 100mm 1:3.5 (has also been sold as Phoenix, Promaster, Vivitar ... and even Pentax) as a budget option: optically very decent, plasticky build though. Another thing to look for would be the Pentax-M 100mm 1:4. Both of these go to 1:2 / 50%, the Cosina has a bundled achromat for 1:1 / 100 % though.
Thanks for the tip Jolepp. I will take another look/search for the brands you mentioned. It was getting a bit skeery after a while. I got a bit touchy doing searches for other brands, after bidding on things and then realising they had the wrong mount! Don't even get me started on the m42 panic attack I had! I didn't even start listing all the other 'accessories' I had to buy. Yes, had.

What is an achromat? Is that something special? I was looking at a listing for an adaptall, but I thought from the forum that requires some other adapter as well? *mind boggles*
10-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erd§ Quote
The bargains are still out there. I was eyeing off a 50mm macro-takumar in good condition 2 or 3 days ago, an original 1:1 with the cool bokeh - about 30 mins before the end I got called into an urgent meeting...and I got out about 4 mins after the auction ended. It sold for 55 bucks. Many would consider it good value if they paid twice that. But...you kick yourself...and keep looking for that next bargain...
Oh that sucks!!! Drat the urgent meeting!

I was talking to Rico about bidding on lenses, and he said how 'there's always another' when he loses an auction. It's something reassuring to keep in the back of my mind, but geeez. it's difficult to remember when you get into that red haze of bidding. and really, what's an extra $2/$5 right??? Just. Have. To. Win. And then after the 'congratulations' email, you realise you've bid $20 over your initial bid and noooooooooo - Total Dud. WHAT WAS I THINKING???

10-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And to think that with $300 or so and a bit of patience you could have picked up an F, FA or D-FA 50mm macro... (or an A 50mm macro and an Adaptall 90mm macro).

Do you have an M42 adaptor to go with your new-found M42 collection? The bellows should work well for macro if you are patient.

I think I stopped counting at around 20 lenses (and started to track them in an Excel database with purchase prices and projected resale value). Only 3 of those are dedicated macros, plus a bunch with close focus capabilities and enough tubes and bellows for about 20cm of extension. In theory I could probably reach 1:2 with my 400mm telephoto and some scaffolding to support everything.

An alternate approach to obtaining the lens you want would be to become a professional lens flipper until you either raise enough money or go broke trying.
10-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
And to think that with $300 or so and a bit of patience you could have picked up an F, FA or D-FA 50mm macro... (or an A 50mm macro and an Adaptall 90mm macro).
*cries* don't tell me that steinback!!!

I went and bought 1 m42 adaptor to try out. I made sure to get one from hong kong that allowed for infinity and I *think* it came with the tool. I'll have to go check. I need to go and reread the articles on m42s and see if I need more than one, or if one will suffice. You're going to tell me I need dozens, don't you?

When you say the bellows will work if I'm patient, do you mean as in patient enough to figure out how to use it? Or patient enough to wait for whatever other lens I need in order to make magical macro pics?

Ah, excel, my friend!! At the moment I'm just listing everything in notepad so I can get an idea of what I own and what I want to own. And as we can see that's working really, really well. Yes Super Tak, I'm looking at you!

QuoteQuote:
An alternate approach to obtaining the lens you want would be to become a professional lens flipper until you either raise enough money or go broke trying.
Go broke trying... story of my life!
10-14-2011, 04:03 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
From one LBAddict to another, I just thought you might appreciate what I'm going through at the moment. Oh, and between you and me? I think we're all screwed.
For a tongue-in-cheek look at the psychology of LBA, Click on the LBA link in my signature line below.
10-14-2011, 04:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
... and since your body is fine ...
Well, we should hope so.

What is an achromat? Is that something special? I was looking at a listing for an adaptall, but I thought from the forum that requires some other adapter as well? *mind boggles*
Light has different colors, EMF of different frequencies, wavelengths. With simple glass, they don't all focus in the same plane. Think of a prism breaking-up light into the spectrum. With optical magic, different colors can be tricked into focusing together, reducing fuzziness and fringing and spherical aberration and such crap. An achromat is a lens where two colors (usually red & blue) focus together. An apochromat (APO) focuses three colors together (red+blue+green). APO lenses are vital in astrophotography and process photography. Achromats are vital for, oh, all sortsa stuff -- meaning, I don't know. I think most of our camera lenses are achromatics. Hey somebody, help me out here!

Adaptall and Adaptall2 are Tamron mount systems, sort of like T-mounts (and T2, TX, T4, etc) where a standard lens body can be fitted with adapters for many cameras, maybe retaining aperture control. Often the Tamron mounts sell for much more than the lenses. If you see any cheap lenses with Pentax Adaptall mounts, grab them!

I was talking to Rico about bidding on lenses, and he said how 'there's always another' when he loses an auction. It's something reassuring to keep in the back of my mind, but geeez. it's difficult to remember when you get into that red haze of bidding. and really, what's an extra $2/$5 right??? Just. Have. To. Win. And then after the 'congratulations' email, you realise you've bid $20 over your initial bid and noooooooooo - Total Dud. WHAT WAS I THINKING???
Ah yes, the heat of the auction. You keep thinking, "Oh, just a few bucks more!" And then the win leaves a feeling of gut-churning dread. Even worse is when you bid on a number of copies of a lens, hoping to win one... and you win them ALL! Even worse is when they're in a mount you can't use. (And that's how I ended up with 5 Industar-26M's in Leica mount. Luckily I sold them at a profit.)

But if it's a 'special' lens, the overbidding just comes natural. Hopefully the prize is not DUD ON ARRIVAL.

10-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the article. Entertaining!

Although...

"not that any photo buff would want to equate LBA with a women's dress buying addiction"

That's treading on dangerous ground there buddy! I'll have you know women are required to wear different dresses for different occasions. It's not a one size fits all you know... Same with shoes and handbags and hmm..

*goes back to "educating" myself on the forums"
10-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I went and bought 1 m42 adaptor to try out. I made sure to get one from hong kong that allowed for infinity and I *think* it came with the tool. I'll have to go check. I need to go and reread the articles on m42s and see if I need more than one, or if one will suffice. You're going to tell me I need dozens, don't you?
With just a few M42's infrequently swapped, a single Official Pentax adapter is sufficient. With *MANY* m42's *OFTEN* swapped, many clone adapters are vital. Just be sure to remove the screw and spring-clip on each or YOU WILL GO BATSH!T! I have, let's see, about 80 screwmount lenses (~60 M42 and 20 M39) and a couple dozen each infinity M42-PK and M39-M42 adapters, as well as a half-dozen each non-infinity M39-PK and M42-PK adapters. Some of these get appropriated for other uses, like weird-mount adaptations. Glue is handy too.

QuoteQuote:
When you say the bellows will work if I'm patient, do you mean as in patient enough to figure out how to use it? Or patient enough to wait for whatever other lens I need in order to make magical macro pics?
Bellows are easy to learn, they just take a tad more work than a solid lens. The only automation is Av or M mode metering. And once you have a couple dozen cheap enlarger lenses and flatfield primes, the hard part is deciding which to use.

QuoteQuote:
Go broke trying... story of my life!
Hay, it's only money. [/me shakes the dust from /me wallet]
10-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Well, we should hope so.
*rolls eyes*

QuoteQuote:
An achromat is a lens where two colors (usually red & blue) focus together. An apochromat (APO) focuses three colors together (red+blue+green)... I think most of our camera lenses are achromatics.
Huh? Jolep said the Cosina has a bundled achromat like it was something special. And you're saying most of our camera lenses are achromats. Soo.....

QuoteQuote:
Ah yes, the heat of the auction. You keep thinking, "Oh, just a few bucks more!" And then the win leaves a feeling of gut-churning dread. Even worse is when you bid on a number of copies of a lens, hoping to win one... and you win them ALL!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Actually I shouldn't laugh. I can just see it happen to me. *looks worriedly at my 9 auctions*

And yes, that gut churning dread. I had that last night and this morning. And none of my friends understood. They just keep looking at me blankly and saying, 'sorry, I don't know anything about cameras'. :ugh:
10-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
M42s, M42-PK, M39-M42 (WTF?!)

*head implodes*

Flatfield primes?! I haven't heard of those yet. Are they different to the normal primes?

Rico, you are a bad, bad, BAD MAN.
10-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #28
Site Supporter

The problem is I'm in a farming community. Not exactly the best place to go digging for slr lenses, is it? Scuse me babe, could you just hold that sheep a little higher so I can get the perfect shot? *snap* Wait! Wait!! Don't douse the tails yet!!! If we wait five more minutes the light will be PERFECT!!! What do you mean the sheep can't wait?
I've got the perfect solution for your problem!! You buy these from my in-laws, keep yourself busy with some new faces, and leave all these old lenses for us to lose some sleep over

BTW taken with my $15 FA 28-80mm
10-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
oh altopiet, nice suggestion but i think i'll pass. don't need goats thankyouverymuch. as to your $15 score, i hate you sooo much...
10-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

M42s, M42-PK, M39-M42 (WTF?!)

*head implodes*

Flatfield primes?! I haven't heard of those yet. Are they different to the normal primes?

Rico, you are a bad, bad, BAD MAN.
Yeah, well...

Takumars and many compatible screwmount lenses have a 42mm thread, M42 in the jargon. These also have the Pentax register of ~45.5mm. Leica RF lenses have a 39mm thread called LTM, Leica Thread Mount, and a register of 28.8mm. Many Russian lenses have 39mm threads: some are LTM for rangefinders (RFs), some are M39 for Pentax-compatible SLRs. And many enlarger lenses have 39mm threads -- same thing, but called L39. Confused yet? Good, heh heh.

We can't use the LTM lenses on our Pentax cameras, but all the others are fair game -- with the right adapters. So I take my gorgeous M39 Jupiter-9 85/2, put an M39-M42 ring on it, then an M42-PK adapter, mount it on the K20D, and shoot soft dreamy romantic mushy stereotypical portraits wide-open.

Oh yeah, register: aka Flange Focal Distance, the distance from the lens mount to the frame (film or digital). SLRs have long registers, to make room for the mirrorbox. RFs have short registers, because they can. Longer-register lenses can be fitted to shorter-register cameras and still focus to infinity, but not vice versa. Oh bother.

Flatfield: It's easy to make roundfield lenses, where everything the same distance from the lens' optical center is in focus. It's trickier to make flatfield lenses, where for instance, it you shoot perpendicular to a brick wall, the whole wall is in focus. Some prime lenses like the cheap Industar-50/3.5 and other Tessars have very flattened image fields. All real 'macro' lenses, and enlarger-copy-process lenses, are flatfield. Reversing a lens makes it flatfield, as it's designed to project accurately onto the flat frame (film or sensor) of the camera.

We have differing opinions on flatfieldness. It's important if we're shooting brick walls and stamp collections. It's mandatory for much macro work. But a rounded field gives a subject more dimensionality and pop IMHO. One of my mad projects is to attack a lens and move its elements to give a more rounded image field. Maybe it will and maybe it won't...