Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #286
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
*eyes spin*
you need to bid more rico.... spend less time in front of that spreadsheet.
It's been growing for several years now, not a flash sensation. It's like spending a decade becoming an overnight success.

11-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #287
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another tactic of controlling LBA: in front of worksheet, making all kind of reports, views, charts, stats.. At least got free excel knowledge.
You should try databases too, creat queries and viewing on different *dimensions*... also try some what-if scenarios... ;-)
11-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #288
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
or i could just stop buying... oh heck who am i kidding?
11-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #289
Veteran Member

Is there a special LBA diagnosis for someone who just bought a both a DA* 16-50 and 50-135 at the same time?

Oh, and I also bought a Sigma 30 1.4 within the past week. Help me.

11-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #290
Veteran Member

There is no diagnosis.

but there is applause.
11-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #291
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
Is there a special LBA diagnosis for someone who just bought a both a DA* 16-50 and 50-135 at the same time?

Oh, and I also bought a Sigma 30 1.4 within the past week. Help me.
diagnosis? i'd say they were good purchases? you've just got the 16-135 range hit in one go!

i'd be interested in seeing what kind of piccies your sigma 1.4 does and how it would compare to the Ms. will that help justify your purchase?
11-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #292
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
or i could just stop buying... oh heck who am i kidding?
"You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave" (Eagles, Hotel California).
11-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #293
Pentaxian

Original Poster

i love that song.

11-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #294
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So I took out the Makinon 28-80 that no one knew anything about today.

Was pleasantly surprised by the sharpness and bokeh.

Here are a few samples and comparisons.

Looks pretty sharp to me?

I think this looks like a nice bokeh..

As is this:

Here is a similar photo off the Jup 39, with a different depth of field, but similar subject from a different angle.

I would be interested in hearing people's comments/opinions on the rendering, sharpness and bokeh. I'm still learning about what the forum/photography people mean when they talk about things like sharpness/bokeh/IQ etc.

How do we decide what is a 'good' lens and what is a 'bad'? ... or is it as subjective as what each person likes and doesn't like?
11-13-2011, 02:34 AM   #295
Veteran Member

i love that song.
Another relevant line from the lyrics might be "We are all just prisoners here of our own device", "Non je ne regrette rien" though ?
11-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #296
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You're quite the music buff, aren't you jolepp?
11-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #297
Veteran Member

You're quite the music buff, aren't you jolepp?
I guess . Also a proud member of Pixel-Peepers Anonymous .

The Makinon (your pics) look quite decent , the focal lenght range sounds very useful. (What is the max. aperture range? 4ish?)
11-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #298
Site Supporter

Makinon Photos

Hi Wolfiegirl,
I'll take a try at commenting on your photos.
I'd say the first 3 (the Makinon; wide-open, I assume, maybe f4.5/5.6ish?) are reasonably sharp and have, as you mentioned, a soft gold/yellow tint which imparts a nostalgic look to the shots. Without other subjects in the photo that have a clearly recognizable color to compare, they are fine. It is a look, a certain warm and comfortable "feel" that works well in this context.
But beware if you take photos of easily-recognizable colors, perhaps skin tones, pure white or metal, steel, hard-edged "modern" objects. They will appear "off" or perhaps have a processed/tinted look.
The second comment is regarding the bokeh. It is good on the objects that are far from the in-focus object, less so on the objects that are closer. I believe this quality is called "Separation", but we often describe the lens quality as the ability to make subjects "Pop" or commonly a "3-D" effect.
Notice on the photo of the fence pole and the chain. The chain, as it moves further from the lens, becomes more out-of-focus. Normal, right? Depending on f-stop, this change, the transition from sharp focus to completely out-of-focus will be more gradual (like f8 or so) or more abrupt (like f2.8).
The SMOOTHNESS of the transition and the ultimate shape of the OOF objects, whether they wash into a blur of color or retain a somewhat definable shape/color is a big part of what we call Bokeh. If they are somewhat sharp, recognizable, they don't make the main subject "Pop" and are distracting. The eye moves back and forth and we call the background "Sharp-edged" or "Hard".
If the chain links were completely blurred by the time they move to the rear of the pole, and all the background was a wash, blur, fog (pick your favorite description) of colors and shapes, the subject would pop out and have a dynamic that makes people say "Wow! Great photo!" without even knowing why.
That's good bokeh.
Combine it with razor-sharp in-focus main subject, great color rendition, separation, soft color transition of background and a true 3=D effect and you have the Bokina.
Now the last photo shows some of the qualities of good bokeh. The background nearly has the wash of colors I'm trying to describe and the separation is better.
It would be easy to say it's because of the wider (I assume) f-stop, but many lenses have a maximum aperature of f2.8 but very few have jaw-dropping bokeh at that setting.
I hope my feeble attempts to explain good/average/bad Bokeh have helped. It's much easier to see than to describe!
Ron
11-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #299
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Jolepp! Yes I thought the Makinon was fairly decent too. It's very interesting to compare what I thought by just looking at the results compared to Ron's explanation of bokeh etc. It's good to have a benchmark of sorts.

Hrmm just looking at the lens closely now. Although the rim says 1:3.5 there is in fact an aperture ring (!!!). I didn't see/find this when I was taking photos, so it looks like all the pics might have all been taken at 3.5 The range is 3.5-22, and it has 8 blades.

Thanks for your explanation on photography Ron. Very thought provoking. I came into photography by just poking a camera into something and pressing the button. I often take pictures that I think look interesting/nice or just to document (my wolfies and flowers/views/holidays etc). So to understand photography from the other side is quite eye opening.

As to the colouring, I actually attempted to colour correct the first shot of the bark - I finally figured out how to correct white balance in photoshop today yet you're saying there is a yellow tint. Interesting. I didn't even notice! I will try and take some pictures of 'man made' objects with the Makinon to see if there are any strange tints that will give me a better idea of what this lens can and can't do.

The bokeh description is also interesting. Based on the bits and pieces I have read in the bokeh club and others I just assumed bokeh meant the background being out of focus. So the more 'wash' or blurry the background, the better bokeh. In some cases, the better bokeh also means the more interesting shapes that happen, like the circle/star/doughnut bokehs (sp?). But what you're saying is that bokeh also means how the object falls into OOF as well. Which I didn't take into consideration.

I personally don't find the bokeh of the second photo of the gate particularly distracting, but when I compare to the pic taken with the Jup I see what you're saying. So a possible conclusion is that while this Makinon has a decent bokeh, it doesn't compete with a Jup. It probably helps that the Jup has 12 blades and is a prime, not a zoom.

I will now go away and try out the different apertures on the Makinon and see if I can spot differences between the bokeh at each setting. And then if I was *really* good, I'd do this with all my other lenses that aren't well known on this forum. But we'll see how I go... so many lenses to buy and try, and so little time to do it all in!!

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-13-2011 at 04:09 PM.
11-13-2011, 06:02 AM   #300
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm currently away from most of my photo stuff. I just brought "the essentials". Today I placed these essentials on a sofa (except a K20, a kit lens, a hammer flash, two tripods and a few odds and ends) and took a photo:

So this is apparently stuff I need. But at least I don't keep track of them in a spread sheet. That means I'm still ok, right?