Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes I know I have a Jup. It was more than there were other Jups that looked fun to play with.

Thanks for looking out for me though!

Oh boy.. I was hoping this wouldn't be the case. Maybe I should contact him asap then. Don't want to waste his time. He's selling the lenses and the camera together, so it would seem logical that they went together.

*goes off to look at linky*

11-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #347
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
... Camera Mounts Sorted by Register you read the chart from top to bottom, left column then the right. Anything above the K mount, DO NOT TOUCH!
I'm confused.. what do you mean anything above the k mount? On that page the pentax is listed on the right with nothing above it?
11-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #348
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fast 50's were the kit lens of their day. The are cheap and plentiful and some are absolutte stunners. I have a Porst 50 1.4 that I love the look of, and several others that I started my lens collection with. Just like you.

It's a slippery slope from cheap n cheerful fast 50's and lovely old 28's to every more expensive tubes filled with glass.

BEWARE!
11-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #349
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
fast 50's were the kit lens of their day. The are cheap and plentiful and some are absolutte stunners. I have a Porst 50 1.4 that I love the look of, and several others that I started my lens collection with. Just like you.

It's a slippery slope from cheap n cheerful fast 50's and lovely old 28's to every more expensive tubes filled with glass.

BEWARE!
Oh wiz... I think it's already too late...

11-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #350
Loyal Site Supporter

we're all doomed!
11-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
I'm confused.. what do you mean anything above the k mount? On that page the pentax is listed on the right with nothing above it?
In the left column, second from the bottom. Anything above that, do not give into temptation.
11-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #352
Loyal Site Supporter

wolfie, you are being told about registration distance, which is the distance behind the rear element where all the light rays converge and form an in focus image.

If the registration distance is too short, then one needs to 'bend' the light rays even further to get them to be in focus on your sensor. (or you have to perform surgery on your camera and move the sensor ...not recomended ) This requires another piece of glass to be in any adapter, and it may not be possible.

if the registration distance is the same as your pentax, then obviously, all is well.

If it is longer, then all that needs to be done is to 'move' the lens away from the sensor by inserting an adapter between the 'off brand' lens and the sensor.
11-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #353
Veteran Member

hrmmmm... I currently own two 1.4s and one 1.7. I need to sell one of the 1.4s for sure. But the 1.7 was the first manual I learnt how to use..... so for sentimental reasons I'm not 100% sure I'm willing to part with it atm. Having said that, both are being neglected while I explore all my other lenses atm. I'm so fickle
I'm sure I will catch the wrath of someone for saying this, but there is only 1/3 stop difference between a 1.4 and 1.7. It's not that big of a difference. It may not be a big deal to own both, but you will likely find yourself carrying one or the other with you more. After all, even the most wealthy photographer can only carry so much in his or her bag at one time. Some 1.7s are superior optically to some 1.4s, and vice versa. Finally, the DOF between the two isn't that much different wide open, especially if the subject isn't at minimum focus distance. In the real world that 1/3 of a stop isn't going to make much of a difference. The main thing to remember here is to find the lens that gives the results you desire. Personally, my favorite lens of the ones I have right now is an old F 50mm 1.7. It's sharper than my $500 70 2.4 Limited, and I only paid $15 for it. Its place as my favorite lens will likely be taken by one of the 5 lenses I've ordered this week, but who knows, maybe it will remain my favorite.

11-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #354
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Jolepp, That's a Leica 1:1 though.. aren't Leicas sposed to be exxy to begin with? And 1:1 sounds pretty spesh? Sure wouldn't have minded being the seller on that one though.
Yup. Leica = eye-wateringly exxy, at 1:1 mace-y .
11-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #355
Pentaxian

Anything above the K mount, DO NOT TOUCH!
That also depends on that kind of lens. For long focal macros, just get them, but prefer cheap since you have to count in the mod work too.

You cannot get infinity for shorter register distance, but my shooting style almost never reach infinity anyway. Any lens within portrait distance is fine for me - never say no to a cheap deal :-)
11-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
There is only 1/3 of a stop difference between the two anyway, so it's marginal.
Might be marginal for well lit scenes, but magical bokeh and must have for low light. f1.4 and f1.2 are all must-have, but prefer different makers different optical and get them all.
11-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #357
Site Supporter

Hi, wolfiegirl!
I've been enjoying and learning from this thread for a while. I too have a slight case of LBA for good older glass. Okay, my family thinks an obsession. I keep meaning to sell some of the duplicates..... Anyway, I found this link helpful when I started out and thought I would share it with you, if you haven't found it already: Other brands with K-mount It's a quick reference for all the camera brands that used k-mount.
11-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #358
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
That also depends on that kind of lens. For long focal macros, just get them, but prefer cheap since you have to count in the mod work too.

You cannot get infinity for shorter register distance, but my shooting style almost never reach infinity anyway. Any lens within portrait distance is fine for me - never say no to a cheap deal :-)
For someone like wolfiegirl just starting to get her feet wet in the dubious pleasures of LBA, there is no need to muddy up the water by having to deal with register distances and sometimes drastic permanent modifications to get some lenses to work with the Pentax DSLR. There are still lot of lenses of the m42 and K mount stripes that can fill her needs. It's only when we run into impossibly high hurdles like the cost of Pentax A* 200/4.0 Macro (if available), do we start looking at other alternatives. Just like my latest acquisition, Canon 200/4.0 Macro converted to K mount, yeah! Of course, I don't have infinity focus but 200mm isn't long enough as a telephoto and infinity focus is not all that necessary (so I tell myself, constantly) but truth be told, it's a pita. Then again, it was only 1/10th the price of the A* 200/4.0 macro so I guess I'll have to live with it.
11-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #359
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the links and advice. I heard back from the seller. The Jups are for the Kiev. *sigh* Good thing I checked beforehand though! eeeps. That would've been $240 I couldn't get back!

Thanks for the linky on the kmounts chemtech. I know what you mean about the obsession. Mr Wolfie has *no idea* the extent of this sickness but my work mates see it in its rawest form.

I understand that some lenses - their registration distance is going to make my life hell unless I jump on the mod wagon, which I'm not ready for yet. There is definitely enough out there for my camera without having to add mods to the mix. Least until I give each of my 30+ lenses a chance in the sun.

As to the M 50s, I'm keeping both the 1.4 and 1.7 for now. But I have three 1.8/55s, a spare 1.4 and gawd knows what else. I'm definitely keeping one of the 1.8/55s but I really should get rid of the rest. That will hopefully free up some cash. Can't do any of this though till Mr Wolfie goes back to work (he doesn't need to see my stash being photographed) *shudder*. He's already started asking "haven't you got enough now?"

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-14-2011 at 02:24 AM.
11-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #360
Pentaxian

Just like my latest acquisition, Canon 200/4.0 Macro converted to K mount, yeah!
Congrats!! I was looking for the same deal in whatever mount ;-)
I think you can use it with a TC to get even longer working distance. Still not sure how the canon behavs with the/which TC.