Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #421
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the warning wiz. Yup, have the lens sitting in the sun atm. I have a few infected lenses that I've used on my camera. Rico assures me he's never heard of a case where fungus jumped from lens to body. Either way I'm still making a point of putting it out to pasture first before I do any serious photography on it. That and I don't leave it on the camera.

*sigh*

11-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #422
Veteran Member

As far as removing the ring so that you can mount the lens goes, it's hardly surgery, or if it is, it's just a case of giving the lens a quick circumcision. Two micro screws, ring comes off, lens will mount.

Disassembling it to remove fungus is a whole other kettle of fish. I wouldn't be in a rush to attempt it. If you do, photograph each step as you go, so that you have a visual record of what goes where when putting it back together.
11-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #423
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah might give the fungus cleaning a miss. Two micro screws... but there's 5 screws on the back and 3 under the flanges...?
11-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #424
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Thanks for the warning wiz. Yup, have the lens sitting in the sun atm. I have a few infected lenses that I've used on my camera. Rico assures me he's never heard of a case where fungus jumped from lens to body. Either way I'm still making a point of putting it out to pasture first before I do any serious photography on it. That and I don't leave it on the camera.

*sigh*
Rico knows a hell of a lot more than me, so I hesitiate to disagree...but...

The spores of the fungus have to travel hither and yon via some method, thats all I'm sayin'

11-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #425
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Wiz,

I thought the spores were in the air in general and go hither and thither anyway. It's the water that makes the spores active? Therefore places like Canberra where there is no humidity means those spores lie dormant. Just like they do on my table top, in mu camera body (out damn dust spot, out!) and in the crevices of my windows? As long as I keep the lenses dry they should be fine? It's more if I get them wet (for whatever reason) they need to be dried out properly before being stored. Least that was my understanding. Either way, I spent $50 and there's no way in heck I'm not trying this baby out. Fungus be damned...

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-16-2011 at 08:21 PM.
11-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Yeah might give the fungus cleaning a miss. Two micro screws... but there's 5 screws on the back and 3 under the flanges...?
As I said on the last page, there are two micro screws on the ring that has the oversized guard. Removing those will let that ring fall right off. Just put it and the screws somewhere safe, and you can mount the lens safely without that ring.
11-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #427
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
As I said on the last page, there are two micro screws on the ring that has the oversized guard. Removing those will let that ring fall right off. Just put it and the screws somewhere safe, and you can mount the lens safely without that ring.
Sorry Philoslothical! I'm having a dumb moment.

Two micro screws on the ring that has the oversized guard... so the oversized guard is the flange that's sticking out? I don't see any screws there... I do how ever see teeny weeny screws underneath on the metal bits - but there's three of those. I'll see if I can take a pic to explain. Sorry for the quick and dirty.

is this the screw you're talking about? There are three that I can see.

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-16-2011 at 08:19 PM.
11-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #428
Veteran Member

Could you post a shot looking straight down on the lens mount? Maybe this model is slightly different, in which case I apologize for sounding so adamant. If it's like mine, and others I've seen, they would be in the black ring you can see in this pic, and really tiny, like half the size or smaller than the one you're pointing to. That said, it does look like the one you're pointing to holds the offending ring.
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #429
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From what I can see, I see no screws whatsoever looking downwards The flange I'm referring to you can already see in the pic I posted above. (the C to the left there)

The side of the lens definitely says "P/K' so I can't imagine it's wrong... gimme a sec and I'll take a pic and add to this post

----

Ok here's a pic of the mount looking straight down

FYI this is a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 1:3.5, Macro Focusing Auto Zoom, No. 22740765, with a 67mm filter ring. It's also got VMC in blue letters written on the the rim as well.

There's two funky side bits towards the back protruding on either side, one with a plastic white button you can press but I have no idea what pressing it does...

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-16-2011 at 08:57 PM.
11-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #430
Veteran Member

OK, try those three inward facing screws that are holding the ring. Remove the ring carefully, and see if that's all those screws held. If so, you should be good to use the lens without them, and without that ring. FWIW the ring looks identical to mine, with the exception of the micro screws that held it on.
11-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #431
Veteran Member

Original Poster
okey doke! thanks for the advice. will have to dig around and see if i've got a screwdriver that'll fit those screws. i think i've got a jewellery screwdriver set around somewhere that might do the trick....
11-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This looks like a candidate for the dreaded Dremmel.

The oversized aperture mech protection ring needs to be cut away

Here's one I prepared earlier -
Attached Images

11-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #433
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No Dremel Household

11-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #434
Veteran Member

The ring has to be removed to safely cut/grind the guard anyway, else you risk metal filings getting into your camera body.

I've had zero trouble using mine without that ring, and I know that solution has worked for others too.
11-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #435
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
The ring has to be removed to safely cut/grind the guard anyway, else you risk metal filings getting into your camera body.

I've had zero trouble using mine without that ring, and I know that solution has worked for others too.
If you're going to cut/grind the ring, you definitely want to remove it.

Here's one I used a dremel on and it came out pretty decent, although you can certainly you can go without the ring altogether as well too.