Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
ok i'm glad you edited and included that bit about the registers. i was sitting here thinking hey, you've got two adapters back to back, but you and interested observer wouldn't let me near the yashica-nikon and then the nikon-pentax adapter.

having said that, if i did go that route even if it DID work, that would've been an extra $70! argggggh.

10-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
What is an achromat? ...
An add-on lens that goes to the filter thread; being achromat(ic) (= fancy construction) means respectable image quality (compared to basic +X diopter addons). Incidently, the Raynox dcr 150 achromat as such might be another thing to check out .

edit: see here for a snap of the lens with the achromat

Last edited by jolepp; 10-14-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: added link (pic)
10-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #33
Veteran Member

ok i'm glad you edited and included that bit about the registers. i was sitting here thinking hey, you've got two adapters back to back, but you and interested observer wouldn't let me near the yashica-nikon and then the nikon-pentax adapter.

having said that, if i did go that route even if it DID work, that would've been an extra $70! argggggh.
The problem there (besides the $70) lies in the optical adapters. TWO OF THEM?!? They are unmatched teleconverters. I stack TC's if I want pictures to look very flat and soft and irregular, every flaw magnified, maybe green-tinted for that "spy.cam / surveillance" look. All this M-stuff, M42-M39-M25-L39-LTM (ok I cheated) uses just physical adapters, no optics, no image degradation.

Oh yeah, for using the Russian lenses: The M39-M42 adapter is a thin threaded ring that fits INSIDE the M42-PK adapter. Nothing back-to-back or stacked in there. Those rings are also part of a simple non-destructive mod of Exakta-mount lenses to Pentax. Glue the ring around the Exakta bayonet; grind|sand 0.5mm from a cheap M42-PK adapter; put them together, focus to infinity.

Last edited by RioRico; 10-14-2011 at 10:13 AM.
10-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
keep up the good work wolfie. Just remember that each of your lenses deserves equal time on your camera. I've sadly been favoring two of mine (A50/1.7 and K24/2.8).

10-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Hi, my name is Jools and I am..., I am an LB/CB addict.
Nice to meet you all.
10-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
oh gawd... all this talk of extra lens, more adapters, and interesting numbers I haven't heard of or considered is waking the LBA beast.... Nooooooooooooooo.... *runs away screaming*

I got two more answers to some enquiries I sent a few days ago re lenses. ack. Now I have to go and re-research all of them and convince myself I DO NOT need them. *tries desperately to stick to my guns* I don't even want to look at my bank account. I'm terrified by the numbers I managed to crunch when writing this post. I don't think I realised how much I've spent already!!!!
10-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
An add-on lens that goes to the filter thread; being achromat(ic) (= fancy construction) means respectable image quality (compared to basic +X diopter addons). Incidently, the Raynox dcr 150 achromat as such might be another thing to check out .
Ah, I hadn't seen the Raynoxi referred to as achromats before. I knew that they were 'corrected' to perform better than the +dioptre meniscus strap-ons, I just didn't know how. Thanks! Note: I give an overview of Raynox DCR-150 and -250 usage and magnification in the CHEAP MACRO article.

I don't even want to look at my bank account. I'm terrified by the numbers I managed to crunch when writing this post. I don't think I realised how much I've spent already!!!!
Hay, it's only money, and worth less every day. Whereas old lenses keep increasing in value. Especially the ones I want.
10-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #38
Veteran Member

wolfiegirl, the lens collection is down to 60+ these days, dungers are gone, now I'm slowly pruning out the lenses that get the least use.
Might I suggest using Google our old friend for finding those wonderful manual focus lens forums. I don't want the guilt of knowing little wolfies are going hungry because I pointed a wolfiegirl to places that overly excite the LBA sections of the brain.

10-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
I don't want the guilt of knowing little wolfies are going hungry because I pointed a wolfiegirl to places that overly excite the LBA sections of the brain.
From what I've seen, the little wollies are doing quite well, having a wonderful time doing dirty wollie-type stuff. As for the LBA receptors in the brain, they're triggered by many stimuli including magnifiers, binoculars & telescopes, eyeglasses, auto taillights, prismatic crystals, Fresnel sheets, and lentils. The only prophylactic is blindness -- but wait, I posted a piece here a couple weeks ago about blind photographers. So, there is no hope. Doom is inevitable. We will be assimilated. Optics, optics, optics...
10-15-2011, 12:25 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I give an overview of Raynox DCR-150 and -250 usage and magnification in the CHEAP MACRO article.
Yup I started to try reading the Cheap Macro article the other day and got a bit overwhelmed. I think I stopped halfway - probably distracted by a 'don't miss out!' lens email or sumfink similar... :ugh:

Will need to go back and read it again, in between checking the databases on some other lenses...

As for the LBA receptors in the brain, they're triggered by many stimuli including magnifiers, binoculars & telescopes, eyeglasses, auto taillights, prismatic crystals, Fresnel sheets, and lentils.
Ah yes... I was in the post office the other day and I spotted some binoculars going for cheap... And I was reminded of something I read on here about people adapting binoculars to cameras.... *gulp*

xjjohnno: yup, will go and do a google search. found another one today that isn't in the database. *mutters* Actually I should take it as a sign that I shouldn't buy it.......... don't you worry about my wolfies starving. they actually need to go on a diet. which means.... more lens $$ for me!! bwahaha umm, I mean, more food on the table for me...
10-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Ah, I hadn't seen the Raynoxi referred to as achromats before. I knew that they were 'corrected' to perform better than the +dioptre meniscus strap-ons, I just didn't know how. Thanks! ...
Actually I'm not sure whether those are achromats, they might even be apochromats as they have three elements (http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr150/indexdcr150eg.htm); this might explain why the dcr 150 would seem be do be doing a better job than the a Marumi apochromat I have tried.
10-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #42
Veteran Member

When I first started into the realm of SLR photography I meant to find me an SP or an SPII of my own, a set of basic manual lenses, a flash and a tripod. Later I meant to get a DSLR to go with said gear and that was basically it. The filters were an afterthought and most of them came with camera gear anyway so no extra expense there. I made my own lens shields et all. I always figured I'd rig some lights and backdrops when it came time for that. Several years later and I have 3 pretty full kits of gear SLR-wise and a truly great DSLR and while I would not say I've ventured too much into the realm of LBA, can't afford to get too much into that, I do have more gear than is probably reasonable given my budget and way more film gear than is practical given I don't develop myself at all. In my defense I do use most of it a good portion of the time. It doesn't just sit there on a shelf gathering dust.

I do need to sell of a few things. I could do with less and yeah, I could use the $$$ besides, but 99% of the time I look at selling my photography gear and it always comes down to selling anything else first for some reason. Two things I always have a very hard time selling, my photography stuff, and my Barbies, but actually I have a far worse case of DBA than I do of LBA, probably always will. New Barbies for my collection can be had for $1 or less at Goodwill, for nothing if I can trade other stuff for them, and I often do. Only very rarely do I find a lens for less than $20 so the way I figure it the whole Barbie addiction thing is a lot less destructive than having LBA so long as I stick with mostly used play ones and don't get crazy and suddenly start buying those $100-200 collector's ones, laugh.

Having several old SLR's and a few lenses for each isn't truly killing my wallet. I use the digital more and limit my film use and processing costs, that's all. I probably should get myself all on Pentax gear and nothing but, it would be more practical by far, but I do like my Yashica gear and it's not actually worth all that much to resell so I'm not worried about it. Ditto my Minolta kit though likely I will sell that off eventually because I'll just not use it enough to make it practical to keep it. It's nice gear but I'm not really a Minolta fan so whatever.

Ultimately the rule is use it or lose it.
10-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Arise all so called LBA'S!!!

To all who are in anguish over their apparent LBA, I've got a message. After much soul searching, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not an addict!! I have a right to get some pleasure from life and if you have any doubt about your right, I want you to join me against all those who want to relieve us of that right.vloek We shall defend our lenses, our right to buy them, sell them or plain accumulate them, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the internet, we shall fight in the pawn shops, we shall fight at the auctions, if needed we shall take the fight to the streets, and we shall never surrender!sweep
10-15-2011, 02:43 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
*looks up from reviewing my ebay bids*

sorry? what did you say something altopiet?

hey, check this out! *bid now* *bid now* *bid now*

*giggles*
10-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I'm really enjoying this thread, it's funny and educational. It strictly doesn't apply to me though!

huh.. That Russian lens?.. oh that old thing... that's just a birthday present from me to me.