Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #436
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
There is no way the rear element could be physically in there backwards, it just won't fit any other way, and the lens looks like it's never been tampered with.
QuoteQuote:
It's in very nice shape, doesn't even have a speck of dust inside. Ah well.
A used lens that's 20 years or so old without a speck of dust, that's pretty near impossible. But looking at your pictures the problem may not be a reversed element. Post some different pictures, not a crop of some fluffy object that's being back lit - any shot of this nature would have halo effect.

11-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #437
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Be that as it may, there's no dust in this lens. It doesn't appear to have been used much at all, it doesn't have a single scuff or scratch on it. No real signs of use.

At any rate, here's another picture. Not backlit. Taken at my desk just now. Note that this lens also tends to consistently over-expose. Easily rectified with exposure compensation, but it's another oddity.

70mm, f4.5 (wide open), ISO 400, 1/13

Charles.
11-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #438
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

drinking at the work desk?!
11-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #439
Veteran Member

Note, here's the same image (actually, a fresh bottle) from my Tamron 28-70mm f2.8, at 70mm and f2.8. It's... well, it's straight up amazingly sharp, especially in comparison to the Tokina's f4.5 at 70mm.

Charles.

11-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #440
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Charles,

Your lens seems like one of the Pentax F zoom i have. Cant remember which, but i gave it to the kids as toy. Its plastic, looks as new, but optical bad, not only glowing, but unsharp whatever i tried. Even at f8-11. Zoom design is not same as prime, yours seems ok to me, but that means you can only use it in daylight at f8. One click down should remove the glow 80-90%. does this lens flares ? If not, you still can use it with flash in controlled maner, and balance around f8. Bokeh at f8 should be nice with 70mm. Anyway i think the best spot is neither zoom ends, but something in between, and f8-11. There wont be any bokeh at 35-50mm range at f8. The lens may use to landscape, if you can shoot at 35mm. As i see, it has limited use if you want the sharpest. Still glow can be used, but i prefer post processing.

The tamron beats most of zooms available.
11-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #441
Loyal Site Supporter

Dont worry about the lens

What the beer like?
11-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #442
Veteran Member

Is there anything more frightening than getting a "The carrier delivered your package" text message from Amazon for your DA* 16-50 on a night of torrential downpours? Yep, UPS left the lens and my new tripod on my front porch in the pouring rain. Luckily only the outer boxes were soaked. I would have been quite irate had my new baby drowned before I got to use it.
11-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #443
Veteran Member

I had that happen once. That laser ship company Amazon is using leaves much to be desired. I was too totally ticked at them. Fortunately dolls will dry pretty okay and they usually come in plastic containers besides so even if the box gets soaked it's not a tragedy. Had it been a lens I'd have been ticked to no end though. I don't think rain could do much damage to the tripod but the lens is another matter. Hopefully it will be okay.

11-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #444
Veteran Member

Perhaps the Tamron wasn't a fair comparison, but here's the Tokina 35-70mm f3.5-4.6 at 70mm and f4.6. The Tokina 35-70 physically looks identical to the 28-70, with only minor differences. But it outperforms the 28-70 in sharpness by miles. Both are Tokina AF series btw.

Charles.
11-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #445
Veteran Member

These are the two lenses side-by-side. 28-70mm f2.8-4.5 on the left, 35-70mm f3.5-4.6 on the right.

It's strange to me that two lenses that are obviously from the same family, and share many design elements could be so wildly different in optical quality.

Charles.
11-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #446
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Of all people you should not accuse others of buying junks. You own a K-5 for crying out loud.
Man, you were once considering a Q for Pete's sake!??!?!?

:P
11-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #447
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I had that happen once. That laser ship company Amazon is using leaves much to be desired. I was too totally ticked at them. Fortunately dolls will dry pretty okay and they usually come in plastic containers besides so even if the box gets soaked it's not a tragedy. Had it been a lens I'd have been ticked to no end though. I don't think rain could do much damage to the tripod but the lens is another matter. Hopefully it will be okay.
The actual lens box was nice and dry, so the lens is fine. I'm just a bit annoyed that the UPS delivery person would even consider leaving it in the rain. Of course, the flip side is I won't have to sit around tomorrow waiting for the lens to be re-delivered. And it's a wonderful piece of optical art. So quiet I can't even hear it focus.
11-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #448
Pentaxian

Original Poster
phwoarrr.... lens in the rain! no no no no!! *shivers* an LBA's worst nightmare! short of having lenses delivered in paper and cardboard. i sent that one back in bubble wrap to make a point

in other news, just unscrewed the flange from the vivi 70-210. yaaay! it fits!!! sooo easy!!! thanks so much for all your help philoslothical!!! got into the DIY spirit and decided to try and unscrew the helios 44m-4 to stick the pin in and use the aperture. the screwdriver broke!!! stoopid cheap 'precision screwdrivers..'
11-17-2011, 02:37 AM   #449
Veteran Member

Sounds like you'd need a better quality set anyways: poor quality screwdrivers are prone to damage the screw heads (and spares are scarce).
11-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #450
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah... i didn't pay much for this 'precision' set. Might head off to the hardware store this time instead of the $2 shop.

I tell you though, that lens is a WHOPPER. I just tried it out and I can't focus for crap, that baby is so heavy...

Looks like my search for a tripod has just become urgent if I want to use this lens anytime soon.

Llooking in the reviews, it's the 1st version of the Series 1 lenses, with a 67mm filter ring. *sigh* I knew what I was doing when I found it. I just wish I hadn't bid so high for a fungus'd (sp?) lens... Still I guess the theory is, if it was in fact clean, I wouldn't have been able to pick it up for $50.