Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #451
Veteran Member

Fedex left a carton on my open back steps, even though I'd specified the covered front porch. The carton contained photo paper and infrared film. I didn't return home for two days. I was not amused. At least Fedex found my house this time. Sometimes they deliver to nearby homes. The package with my K20D sat on my crackhead neighbor's porch for almost a day. (He's been replaced by dirt bikers.) No problem with UPS but USPS avoids my rutted gravel road. I wonder if any Fedex drivers have been eaten by bears?

11-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #452
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
jeeepers. i bet you weren't amused.

that's too funny that USPS tries not to go up your driveway. i also have a dirt driveway abt 1k long. We never have unexpected visitors, yet imagine our surprise when one afternoon we were greeted by a little vw golf and two jehovah witnesses!!!
11-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #453
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
jeeepers. i bet you weren't amused.
I forgot mention: 'twas summertime. Gets hot here. I send several unhappy emails to the shipper (for choosing FedEx) and to FedEx (congratulating them on their program to hire the retarded).

QuoteQuote:
that's too funny that USPS tries not to go up your driveway.
No big thang. Our other home is a historic adobe in a border mining town, all steep ravines. 40% of the houses in that town are on stairways, not streets. Nobody gets postal service. All residents are presented with The Key To The City, ie a PO box key. Not so exclusive here, but we still are out of postal delivery range.

QuoteQuote:
i also have a dirt driveway abt 1k long. We never have unexpected visitors, yet imagine our surprise when one afternoon we were greeted by a little vw golf and two jehovah witnesses!!!
They never make it past the nudist compound up the road.
11-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #454
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I forgot mention: 'twas summertime. Gets hot here. I send several unhappy emails to the shipper (for choosing FedEx) and to FedEx (congratulating them on their program to hire the retarded).
*giggles* That's one way to get out all your grumbles.

I No big thang. Our other home is a historic adobe in a border mining town, all steep ravines. 40% of the houses in that town are on stairways, not streets. Nobody gets postal service. All residents are presented with The Key To The City, ie a PO box key. Not so exclusive here, but we still are out of postal delivery range.
Key to the City. I like it!

I They never make it past the nudist compound up the road.
*snarf*

11-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #455
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The good news and the bad news...

Right then.

Just came back from the car boot sale.

The bad news (or good news depending on how you look at it) is that I went out and bought another lens

The good news is that it cost me a very modest $2 for a k1000 and a 35-70mm SMC Pentax zoom

The bad news is that it's fungus infested on probably 4 elements or more?

The good news is that most of it's just light spidery stuff, although there is a small white patch in the rear element but right on the edge of the glass.

The bad news is that It's supposedly a zoom. But I can't seem to get it to zoom?!

The good news is that it still works. Just took a piccie with it and the images aren't bad.

Here are some quick test shots - sorry about the composition and the state of my sink..

(click images for EXIF data)

I only fiddled with the levels a little with the couch shot. The sink shot is pretty much straight out from the camera, and the garden shot (taken through a window from inside a dark living room) has been cropped.

The bad news is that there's also a dent in the filter ring, with the filter ring attached. Oh, and there's this... stripe across the filter ring, where it's lighter than the rest of the glass..?! But it doesn't seem to have affected image quality much? Or am I just not seeing it/need to do better test shots in different light? The filter brand is 'cozo' - never seen that brand before!

The good news is that I'm sure someone or an article in the forum will be able to help me figure this baby out.

The bad news is that I'm totally swimming in lenses and I don't think I'm ever going to be able to wade out.... It's a sickness I tell you. A sickness!!!

UPDATE: SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET....

So I went looking around for info on the zoom. Realised that it was waaay out of my depth, and despite this thought I'd give a shot on the side screws near the aperture ring. Discovered fairly quickly that I really DO need a new set of screwdrivers, and that the screws are in waay too deep for me to unscrew.

A bit more reading resulted in not much information but I did end up using a cotton bud and dabbing some isocol (rubbing alcohol) around the edge of the zoom ring.

I decided to call it a day and went and emailed Eric for a quote.

After an hour or so I thought stuff it, let's just play around on the lens anyway. I bought the damn thing and it obviously works even if it doesn't zoom...

I put it on the body, and just for fun pulled the zoom a bit hard, and WHAM! The zoom pulls out! *squeeee!!!*

Now I'm going to have to retract that email to Eric. *sigh*

In an ideal world I would like to fix up the filter ring and take it off so I can at least have an attempt at cleaning the fungus off the front lens - I'm hoping it's on the outside and not inside, but at least I now have a working lens! Off to take piccies of the wolfies!!!

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-19-2011 at 02:54 PM.
11-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #456
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you've got quite a project on your hands. If this is the M variety it is a push pull zoom type (checked the lens data base) I have a Vivitar variant that works like that. Others here on PF have so much more experience on cleaning out fungus and taking apart lenses and reassembling. I did go through a phase ( I still have two projects) where I worked on lenses. It is a Learning experience! Here are a few things I have learned:

1. Have a clean place to work ( I took my 1/2 bath and turned it into a clean room)

2. Have the proper tools -- these can be simple or specialized. A good light and a magnifier are very helpful.

3. Clearly document each step you take (photos, diagrams etc..) Do research on your lens before starting tear down.

3. Have the patience of a saint - when the retaining ring won't come off and you have slipped and knicked your thumb.

4. When deciding on a surface to work on, put down something that will catch little bits that come off of the lens. I re-purposed a large clear plastic comforter bag and cut slits for the hands. I got tired of searching for detent balls and other bits on the floor. The bag also keeps everything together nicely and covers the lens if you get called away from your project.

5. Allow plenty of time for working on the lens. This can be a time intensive project.

I really should start working on my last two projects. I have an auto focus F50mm 1.7 with stuck blades. I have fear that it will be a manual focus lens with clean blades and elements (See above item #4)

Honestly, the best of luck with your bargain find! It might turn out to be very simple to clean up and use. Then again it depends on the zoom type and how it is put together. I've worked mainly with primes as a I don't have that much experience.
Edith
11-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #457
Site Supporter

Great! Glad you got the zoom to work!! You had updated your entry while I was writing my super long reply.
11-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #458
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice Edith! Very useful! I have updated my post to say that the zoom is now unstuck! Yaay! But your advice still stands because I have a 50mm f/2 with a stuck focus ring that I need to work on.... eventually. So I will keep your advice in mind. My 'workroom' atm is the couch in the living room and flat surfaces include the coffee table and the dining table. I don't want to know what Mr Wolfie will say should I go and take over our bathroom for lens fixin'. It's bad enough that he's noticed the increasing number of black objects littering our house over the last month...

11-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #459
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chemtech Quote
Great! Glad you got the zoom to work!! You had updated your entry while I was writing my super long reply.
Ah don't feel embarrased! I really appreciate your reply, and like I said, I will keep all your advice in mind. So many lenses... so many projects... so little time.. :ugh:
11-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #460
Pentaxian

Congratulations on your success! Here's a post of mine that might help you with your Vivitar 70-210/3.5:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/162325-tool-kit...ml#post1681970

It's not quite as detailed as it should be, but it should either help or scare you off.
11-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #461
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the linky Dave. I've clicked on that one many times but the images of the aperture blades freak me out and I haven't got the guts and patience yet to read through it properly to figure out if I can do it.

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-18-2011 at 10:22 PM.
11-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #462
Veteran Member

If it's the digital version that's the one that came with the semi-digital film camera that I got out at the flea market nearly a month ago that I have yet to see if it even works. Proprietary battery? Not a classy Spottie type film camera, I just can't be bothered. I may just throw at at the local junior college photo teacher. Let him see if it works and then let a kid have it. (The Pentax strap and cap I may keep, though.)

I wanted it for the lens, and it was sort of free. That camera came with my K1000. Mine had fungus too so I finally just took it apart for fun. It's now in pieces in a sealed baggie. I haven't tossed it yet, but I probably will. It's not worth sending to Eric. Common lens, not a great one either. It would cost me more to ship and fix it than to buy another one someday. Seriously KEH has that lens under $25 bargain all the time. Don't bother. Just grab another one, cheaper.
11-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #463
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is just a manual 35-70 magkelly. My initial tests on it have been satisfactory. Just would like to have a go at wiping down the front lens and dumping the filter ring. But my attempts so far have been pretty dull.

Either way for $2 I think it's a pretty good score - and for what it is, it does an amazing job with piccies! Did some low light shots with the pups and they turned out with pretty accurate results, I thought. And this is just with the k100d! Not even my flashy kx.

Lens is currently sitting out in the sun. To be honest I was surprised re the fungus. I live in such a dry climate you wouldn't think there'd be that much moisture! Then again, I was having a go at cleaning the body. Yikes. Looks like someone just dumped it in a garage or some such. Icky mould and bits and pieces in the bits between the dials etc. All cleaned up now, but seriously... I have sooo many bodies, and neither the time or real inclination to give it a shot to test. I might just offload them all as a job lot.

Really, deals for under $25? I must go and check out KEH one day.
11-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #464
Veteran Member

Which 35-70 did you get, is it the M 35-70/2.8-3.5 or is it the A 35-70/3.5-4.5? Your description in freeing up the zoom seem to suggest one of the two I've mentioned - single focus/zoom ring lens. The A is more common of the two and cheap, the M on the other hand seem to be worth some money.
11-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #465
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh sorry, I didn't elaborate did I? LOL.

I got the M zoom with the 7 blades (not the 8 blader which is a bit more exxy) with a 2.8-3.5.

Took it out for a walk this evening and on the viewfinder the pictures look promising. Despite the drama this afternoon the zoom is nice and tight (in a good way) *fingers crossed*.

----

Ok, done with the PP. I must say I'm pretty happy with this lens. Nice and sharp, a nice bokeh, good colours. A bit of flare in full sun, but nothing that can't be fixed by upping the contrast and dropping the brightness a little in PP.

This one's cross posted on the pet thread and is probably my favourite of the lot.

Click for EXIF data

And an example that doesn't involve the wolfies.

Click for EXIF data

ISO bumped up to 1600 in the bush at dusk on the k100d

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-19-2011 at 02:50 PM.