Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #466
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am looking for JIS screw drivers too, prefer good ones. If someone got them on ebay, please redirect me to that link/url.

Also I am looking for JIS screws that attach the base to the lens on Nikkor lenses. Prefer a bit longer, but I can cut them later if they are too long.
I am newbee regarding screw standards, and wont be able to specify what screw i need in a professional website. Thanks.

11-19-2011, 02:36 AM   #467
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That's a great request hoanpham! I'll put my name in the hat too please! What screw drivers do people recommend for working on lenses?
11-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wolfiegirl,
I especially like the Wolfie shot with your new zoom. I got a JIS set from RJRcool tools (bits themselves, you supply the handles), but I checked and they don't ship overseas. I did find these that I thought looked okay at: http://www.ikaswebshop.com/hojisscset4d.html
11-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #469
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This looks like a compact, quality (US made) 4 x JIS + 2 x slotted set (*): Moody Tools Reversible JIS Screwdriver Set/58-0483 | eBay. A bit pricey perhaps, but then actual JIS sets seem a bit scarce.

(*) The slotted heads here look like they could come handy with russian lenses (?).

Last edited by jolepp; 11-19-2011 at 12:52 PM.
11-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Oh sorry, I didn't elaborate did I? LOL.

I got the M zoom with the 7 blades (not the 8 blader which is a bit more exxy) with a 2.8-3.5.
Excuse me wolfiegirl, your smugness is showing - I bet you were just itching to have someone ask that. Nonetheless, it's very good find for measly two bucks. Would I have picked it up if I was in your shoes, probably not. You seem to go out of your way to acquire fungi ridden lenses while I avoid them like the plague. Has leaving these fungi ridden lenses in the sun done any good? I suppose some lenses can be brought back to life by exposing them to the sun's rays but the only two fungi ridden lenses that I have, have fungi tendril marks permanently imprinted on to the glass even after soaking the elements in acetone for two days.

What are your shooting parameters, none of your photos seem to have the exif files. I don't know what you are using to resize your photos but if you use FastStone Image Viewer, the exif file remains intact. FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
11-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #471
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Excuse me wolfiegirl, your smugness is showing - I bet you were just itching to have someone ask that. Nonetheless, it's very good find for measly two bucks. Would I have picked it up if I was in your shoes, probably not. You seem to go out of your way to acquire fungi ridden lenses while I avoid them like the plague. Has leaving these fungi ridden lenses in the sun done any good? I suppose some lenses can be brought back to life by exposing them to the sun's rays but the only two fungi ridden lenses that I have, have fungi tendril marks permanently imprinted on to the glass even after soaking the elements in acetone for two days.

What are your shooting parameters, none of your photos seem to have the exif files. I don't know what you are using to resize your photos but if you use FastStone Image Viewer, the exif file remains intact. FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
*giggles*

did I sound smug? just excited that it wasn't a dud find

Weell.... the sun has been a bit hit and miss to be honest. I don't necessarily go out specifically to pick up fungus lenses... most of them have been ebay lots gone wrong that I can't return, like the Tokina or a non returnable accident like the M 135 Bayonet.

Often I'm finding some of the fungus (mainly light spidery bits) if not particularly advanced can be wiped away with some lens wipe cleaner thingies, or some isopropyl alcohol. Note for me this only works when the fungus has been on the outside of the glass. Often when I see it, I think that it's inside, yet a quick wipe down often reveals the fungus was on the outside, and not on the inside.

For example, the white fungus spot that was on the back of the M 35-70 disappeared after I did a swab with a cotton bud doused in isopropyl. And hasn't come back in the last 24 hours. The back element now looks mint. If I can get the front filter off, I'm hoping I can get rid of the front element fungus as well but there is an element in front of the blades that has fungus, which I won't be able to do anything about. Not sure it's possible to do surgery on this lens, as the screws on the side don't look like they can hold up to much and may disintegrate if unscrewed. Either way the pictures taken with this lens are more than satisifactory considering the original condition of the lens. I'll try and take some pics of it today to show you what it's like atm. I realise I should've taken a before shot as well, but ah well.

Another example where the sun and isopropyl has worked has been with the M 1:1.4 that I picked up a month or so ago for $20 from a person giving away their photography developing stuff. I'd left it out in the sun for a day, and wiped down front and back. It doesn't really look like there's much of a problem anymore.

The other fungus lenses are probably more advanced and therefore remain? My understanding is that once the fungus is exposed to strong sunshine they die, and it's just the carcass that remains. Can't do anything about that, except open up the lens and wipe its sorry body away. So as long as there's no humidity and light and the fungus is de-yad, I'm fairly safe. Least that's my amateur understanding. If it helps, I did let an ebay listing go for $21 for a Tammy 35-70 which was possibly an SP01A because the seller admitted there were marks on the glass and I wasn't prepared to deal with it.

If I ever come across cheap clear copies of the fungus ones I will replace them. But for now, the lenses seem to work just fine, so I'm happy to leave them as they are.

I think often it depends on the situation, and whether

a. I can see it in person and judge for myself if it's worth the risk, and
b. if the price is right.

The original price on that camera and lens was $5. If she hadn't gone down, there is a chance I would've walked away. But at what was essentially $1 per item, I thought if nothing else maybe I could give it a go as a 'project' down the road. Having said all that, had she had other clear lenses, I probably would have gone for those rather than this one.

Hearing Rico's third hand experiences from his readings and understanding of fungus also helps. Ironic since I think all his lenses are fungus free..

As to the exif, I'll add in a sec. I use photoshop and then upload to picasa. The info can be seen in picasa but I think the way I link my photos from there to here strips the info.

chemtech: Thanks for the nice comment and for looking for tools for me! 4 screwdrivers for $20 seems ok. Will go and check out shipping. They don't have the umm | heads though (what on earth are they called?).. might go exploring that site and see what postage is like.

jolepp: Thanks for the linky. hrmm.. that does seem a touch pricey after postage. Bbut I do have a helios that needs opening.. just had another look. Damn there's only one. *sigh* better do some quick thinking!

---------

EXIF data now linked to the above images.

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-19-2011 at 03:00 PM.
11-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #472
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
It's bad enough that he's noticed the increasing number of black objects littering our house over the last month...
As of today it has been 9 days since I have bought anything camera related on ebay. thats the longest I have gone since may 3!!!! Maybe I'm getting a measure of control over the situation...

As far as screw drivers, if there are sources for cheap screw drivers nearby where you are, try some Philips ones. There seems to be plenty of variation in the tips from brand to brand so you may find some that work well. I tried different screw driver sets till I found this one. The #0 has worked great for most lenses. They ran them on sale for 2$ and I got 4 additional sets just to get spares of the #0 Phillips. For flat head screw drivers I just grind down cheap ones to fit. They have worked fine for me except if the screws are really frozen (only had issues with one lens).

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-precision-screwdriver-set-47823.html

11-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #473
Veteran Member

I tried phillips but almost ruined a screw of my test lens. They are not safe. And not just screwdrivers, for each lens, i need 5-6 screws, longer ones, and a donor K mount. As far, many tubes and defect TC had served me well, but soon i am shortage of these too...

I found this site:
http://www.japanesescrews.com/

jCIS japanese camera industrial screws.
11-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #474
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I tried phillips but almost ruined a screw of my test lens. They are not safe. And not just screwdrivers, for each lens, i need 5-6 screws, longer ones, and a donor K mount. As far, many tubes and defect TC had served me well, but soon i am shortage of these too...

I found this site:
Micro Screw | Microscrew | Microscrews | Micro Screws

jCIS japanese camera industrial screws.
I think with Phillips, it not a matter of finding the right size, but being lucky enough to find one that fits as the tips very in shape quite a bit from brand to brand. I had one #0 Phillips that would just spin and wouldn't even touch the blades of the screw because it had such a sharp point. I wouldn't use a Phillips unless you get lucky enough to find one that fits the head almost perfectly (I did). I have had several #0 philips that didn't fit well but managed to find one brand that did. The only lens that I couldn't get with these didn't strip out. Rather, the head of the screw driver sheared right off in the screw head and kind of cold welded the tip of the screw driver in the screw head. I dug through all my other screw drivers and tried a different one that fit well and the very tip snapped right off. Luckily the tip of that one didn't weld itself to the screw and the tip came out. The screw was undamaged. I was putting a lot of force into it to make that happen (the screws are obviously frozen in there pretty tight).

I wouldn't mind finding some screws too but I wonder if the thread sizes very from lens to lens or if they are pretty much standard?
11-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #475
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I think with Phillips, it not a matter of finding the right size, but being lucky enough to find one that fits as the tips very in shape quite a bit from brand to brand. I had one #0 Phillips that would just spin and wouldn't even touch the blades of the screw because it had such a sharp point. I wouldn't use a Phillips unless you get lucky enough to find one that fits the head almost perfectly (I did). I have had several #0 philips that didn't fit well but managed to find one brand that did. The only lens that I couldn't get with these didn't strip out. Rather, the head of the screw driver sheared right off in the screw head and kind of cold welded the tip of the screw driver in the screw head. I dug through all my other screw drivers and tried a different one that fit well and the very tip snapped right off. Luckily the tip of that one didn't weld itself to the screw and the tip came out. The screw was undamaged. I was putting a lot of force into it to make that happen (the screws are obviously frozen in there pretty tight).

I wouldn't mind finding some screws too but I wonder if the thread sizes very from lens to lens or if they are pretty much standard?

that sounds skeeery.

thanks for all the linkies. looks like it might behoove (*giggles* I said behoove..) me to get a few different sets just in case.

need to head out to the hardware store and see if they stock these bright orange ones. the price certainly looks right!

the screw question - no idea! but it certainly makes you wonder!

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
As of today it has been 9 days since I have bought anything camera related on ebay. thats the longest I have gone since may 3!!!! Maybe I'm getting a measure of control over the situation...
CONGRATS!!!

Here's hoping it continues!! I think I had a lull of maybe a week between drinks. But that was mainly because I lost out on a number of auctions.. but hey, if the money doesn't leave my account, that still counts right?

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-19-2011 at 03:06 PM.
11-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #476
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, my review for the Tokina 28-70mm f2.8-4.5 is online now, here: Tokina AF 28-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Charles.
11-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #477
Veteran Member

Original Poster
owwwweee.... i've never seen such low scores!!!

sounds like you're pretty unimpressed!
11-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #478
Veteran Member

I also add my review of the Pentacon 29/2.8 in M42 mount. Sample photos in my picasa.

In spite of bad reputation of this lens, it turns out to be a very good lens - of course after cleaning, tighten screws, tighten front element, and still can't do anything about scratches.
Owners of this lens has mostly opposite experience, and often had to get several copies to have a good one. I guess the workers had more or less vodka when they assembled the lens.

I also add few photos of the 85mm f1.2. It's a canon FDn mount. Conversion is hard, but soon will be a kit available. I haven't play with it yet, but focus to 4m should be ok on my k20.
It's not mountable, and i have to find somehow to open the iris, but I can hold the lens tight into the body and make some shots.
11-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #479
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sounds like you've got lots of projects going hoanpham!

I've seen lots of pentacon 2.8 m42s out there. can't remember if they were 29mm or not. maybe 28? not sure.

trying to be good and not buy atm, although i am currently researching a lens that will end in 1 hour. *snarf*

hrmm.. on second thoughts, just reread the listing. has lots of fungus. PASS.
11-22-2011, 01:51 AM   #480
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote

I also add few photos of the 85mm f1.2. It's a canon FDn mount. Conversion is hard, but soon will be a kit available. I haven't play with it yet, but focus to 4m should be ok on my k20.
It's not mountable, and i have to find somehow to open the iris, but I can hold the lens tight into the body and make some shots.
Why not pick up an m4/3 camera body and appropriate adapters for your Canon and Nikon lenses? You can use just about every lens that's on the planet since the register distance is only 20mm, without making any modifications to the lens.