10-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
oh c'mon clinton, what's a low bid between friends? *wicked laugh*

10-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
My perception of russian lenses is that for the most part they are big and heavy. Obviously not the industar and I'll still buy a helios 58mm someday. but it reduces the desire for them.
Some are big, some aren't. Here are what I have:

Zenitar 16/2.8, 300g -- a little less than the DA10-17 (320g)
Mir-1 37/2.8, 180g -- a little more than the SuperTak 35/3.5 (150g)
Industar-50-2 50/3.5, 70g -- only some enlarger lenses weigh less
Helios-44M 58/2, 300g -- same as my planar Yashica ML 50/1.4
Jupiter-9 85/2, 350g -- more than Nikkor 85/2 (300g), less than Rokkor 100/2.5 (410g)
Jupiter-11 135/4, 310g -- a little more than the tiny M135/3.5 (270g)
Jupiter-21M 200/4, 950g -- rather more than the SuperTak 200/4 (560g)
Rubinar Makpo 1000/10 mirror, 1760g -- only my Meade 4505 'scope is more

The big Jupiter-21M and Rubinar mirror are indeed beasts. The Helios-40 85/1.5 is also quite heavy (sorry, I don't have its weight right now). All the Russian LTM lenses I've sold (Industar-26M and -61, Jupiter-8) were tiny, weighing 110-120-130g. I think many of the larger lenses were built to military specs, hence their weight. But many others, all those produced by Zeiss factories moved to Ukraine as war booty, are just... lenses, not boat anchors.

Last edited by RioRico; 10-19-2011 at 07:26 PM.
10-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Hrmm... what *is* with all this talk about Russian lenses??? Everyone's like obsessed!!
Just to further enable you a bit... This is the Russian lens I'm drooling after these days. Budget doesn't allow for anything yet, but soon...

This is its 20 blade aperture:

And here are some shots with it, by another forum member. Look, even a wolf in the username! It must be a sign...
10-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Original Poster
oh. my. god.

I had a quick look on ebay earlier this morning. All lenses were in the hundred dollar plus range. my budget is $50 or below. So at least there's that..

Although I'm ready starting to think, gee, if the lens has everything I want/need, maybe I should shell out $70-$100... *gulp*

Anyway, lots of the tairs and jupiters said they were m39 for leica...... which if i'm understanding correctly won't work on our pentaxes even with an adapter? i have to look for praktica ones right?

10-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #95
Veteran Member

You can get them in the m42 mount that you already have an adapter for. Here is an expired listing from this forum.
10-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Original Poster
*nods*

ok so i'll just add that one to my list. *looks at list a mile long*

hrmmm... might need to start finding a second job. LOL
10-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #97
Veteran Member

If the name is suffixed with M (as in Helios-44M) it's probably M42. But not always; the Industar-26M is LTM, Leica threadmount. If the name is suffixed in K (like Zenitar-K2) it's Pentax K-mount. If there's no suffix, it's probably a 39mm thread, but that doesn't say whether it's LTM for rangefinders, or M39 for SLRs. And it might even be M42, like the Industar-2-50/3.5. What a pickle.

So check what cameras the lens is purported to be for. If it's Praktica, Pentax, Zenit, it's OK. If it's Leica, Fed, Canon (rangefinders), forget it. Some Russian lenses are also made for medium-format cameras, based on a Hasselblad mount. If it's for Kiyev, or any camera with 6 in the name, forget it. If in doubt, ask the seller, and ask us here.

Quick change of subject. Laurentiu just posted a note in General Talk about the Thai flooding. Sony is now out of the dSLR business -- their total production is submerged. 90% of Nikon's dSLR production is gone. No prospect of recovery for either. This could have MAJOR impacts on prices for other brands. Yow. And Western Digital lost a huge chunk of their hard-disc production. No more cheap drives? Yow.
10-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If the name is suffixed with M (as in Helios-44M) it's probably M42. But not always; the Industar-26M is LTM, Leica threadmount. If the name is suffixed in K (like Zenitar-K2) it's Pentax K-mount. If there's no suffix, it's probably a 39mm thread, but that doesn't say whether it's LTM for rangefinders, or M39 for SLRs. And it might even be M42, like the Industar-2-50/3.5. What a pickle.

So check what cameras the lens is purported to be for. If it's Praktica, Pentax, Zenit, it's OK. If it's Leica, Fed, Canon (rangefinders), forget it. Some Russian lenses are also made for medium-format cameras, based on a Hasselblad mount. If it's for Kiyev, or any camera with 6 in the name, forget it. If in doubt, ask the seller, and ask us here.

Right, that's what I thought. And my ebaying looks like there's only Leica and Kiev lenses out there atm for the right price. That's ok. I'm still trawling the marketplace silly-ly enquiring about lenses that I really shouldn't buy I think I can wait for the right price before I commit, um I mean, succumb to the Russian lenses!

Quick change of subject. Laurentiu just posted a note in General Talk about the Thai flooding. Sony is now out of the dSLR business -- their total production is submerged. 90% of Nikon's dSLR production is gone. No prospect of recovery for either. This could have MAJOR impacts on prices for other brands. Yow. And Western Digital lost a huge chunk of their hard-disc production. No more cheap drives? Yow.
Ouchies

10-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Wolfiegirl, I feel your pain, but you know your really hooked when you go out and buy a humidity cabinet to store your lens and then send time trying to fit them all in! I hope you get some nice shots from Floriard.
10-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #100
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey Bruce,

I was just reading the thread on the 'where do you keep your lenses?'. Luckily it's super dry here in Canberra so it's not an urgent priority for me. Every time I go back to Sydney I'm amazed at how humid it is. And I grew up there! I don't think I realised how bad it was until I moved out here to Wasteland Canberra. lol.

I haven't decided what to do about my lens storage atm. Right now they're just lying higgledy piggledy around the house, and are usually wrapped in a scarf in a dedicated bag when I'm wandering out looking for things to shoot.

Are you finding you'll need to get a bigger humidity cabinet? That rule of thumb of "you can never have too much storage?" *giggles*

I did get some nice shots at Floriade, despite the fact that most of the flowers being past their best. You can see some of the shots (if you're super bored or curious) in my albums.
10-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's the link in case you missed it https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/162782...-thailand.html

RioRico, I've learned much in this thread. Thanks for sharing your knowledge so freely.
10-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #102
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
RioRico, I've learned much in this thread. Thanks for sharing your knowledge so freely.
I'll second that! You're a fountain of wisdom Rico! And I hope one day I'll be able to help people out as much as you've been generously helping us out with all your Pentaxian Knowledge!
10-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Hay, my time is otherwise worthless, so why not? I'm only in it for the lulz. And I like to spew. Lots of spewing around here. [SPLAT!] There goes another one...
10-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hay, my time is otherwise worthless, so why not? I'm only in it for the lulz. And I like to spew. Lots of spewing around here. [SPLAT!] There goes another one...

eiwwwwww.. grosss!!!

you eat waaaay too many carrots rico.

*moves camera gear out of the way*

10-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
I'll second that! You're a fountain of wisdom Rico!
Thirded. He's a huge asset to this forum, it wouldn't be the same without his posts.

That flooding looks awful. A shot of the Nikon plant here.

I'm wondering if Sony will call it quits on DSLRs due to this. They have enough other products to continue with.

Oh, and one other tip about Russian lenses, for the OP. I've seen it mentioned a couple times that they often made two qualities of lenses, one for domestic use, the other lot for export. I think the ones with Cyrillic printing on the front end of the lens are supposed to be (sometimes) better quality, whereas the English named ones were for export to other countries, and sometimes weren't the best they made. I think this only applies to older lenses, and especially applies to ones designed to their military spec.

Hopefully someone will correct me if any of that is wrong (hey, RioRico... ). I'm essentially parroting what I've read elsewhere on this subject, as I don't have much experience with it yet.