Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip philoslothical. Playing with my current lenses I'm certainly getting a better feel for what I do and don't need in terms of lenses. Maybe that will help me (probably unlikely) better decide which Russian lenses to keep an eye out for.

Yes, I think Rico's posts certainly make this forum triply more entertaining as I trawl through all the info provided on this forum!!!

I'm just glad Pentax isn't affected by those floods. *clutches lenses tightly*

10-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Hopefully someone will correct me if any of that is wrong (hey, RioRico... ). I'm essentially parroting what I've read elsewhere on this subject, as I don't have much experience with it yet.
Sorry, I have no experience with Cyrillic-lettered lenses. And I'm too tired now to research this -- housebreaking wolverines has really worn me out today. A good place to ask about this is the Manual Focus Lenses forum. Many members there have many more lenses than I. And parrots. And no squirrels. G'night!
10-20-2011, 04:04 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's amazing what a difference that little typo-ed "4" makes ... of course, I meant the swirly-bokeh-in-house-adjustable-infinity-and-convertible-to-kmount-need-an-oil-wrench-to-focus-(thanks to the gummed up russian grease)-type 44-2 I've been lucky to have both (still have 3x 44-2), but sold the 40-2 to fund some other "investments".

Funny you mention the SF-1 ... recently got a virtually unused SF-10 + -F35-70 + AF240 (I believe on your advice, actually ) for huge sum of $25. Couldn't help myself... and it's a great all-around lens (the only zoom I carry with some other primes, actually), not to mention a great eBay product lens thanks to the close focus/semi-macro at 70mm. AF240 works wonders with one of our backup *ist-DS'es.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I think you're conflating the Helios twins. The H44 58/2 is the cheap common old standard lens. The H40 85/1.5 is a huge mass of glass and metal (with a tripod mount) for soft mushy romantic glowing portraits, definitely NOT cheap. But yeah, searching for Zenits [in all (mis)spellings] is rewarding, like finding a Pentax SF-1 to get its F35-70, or an MV1 for its M50/1.4.
Chaos often breeds life, when order breeds habit.
--Henry Adams

Last edited by photocanadian; 10-20-2011 at 05:46 AM.
10-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I the last couple of months I've purchase the following lens;
Tak 28/3.5 35/3.5 50/1.4 55/1.8 105/2.8 135/3.5 200/4
Vivitar S1 105/2.5 Macro
Cosina 55/1.2
FA 50/2.8 Macro
(Takumar) F 70-200

The Vivitar, Cosina and FA 50 Macro cost some money and are either brand new or as new..
The Tak 105 cost a bit, came with a filter and looks to be virtually unused.
The rest were very inexpensive IMO 30 to 70 dollars.

-or-

I could have got a couple of DA Ltd instead.

Naturally I've read reviews and specs but images are what sell me.
For most of the shooting I do AF seems to cause more problems then it solves. I have a rack of incredible MF glass for not a lotta cash.

I have a few more on my radar, I'm looking for specific lens not necessarily cheap lens. The hunt is fun.
I don't see this as LBA, it's sensible shopping, and I like to fondle Tak's. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited by riff; 10-20-2011 at 09:31 AM.
10-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Now here is what I call a priceless quote ... well said.
I hope Pentax marketing uses it for one of their ad campains

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I like to fondle Tak's. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
10-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Lens-fondling is fun. So is pottery-fondling, textile-fondling, fretted-instrument-fondling, book-fondling, people-fondling, etc. Just don't get caught.

@riff,
Nice haul! I just need the Tak 28/3.5 and my life will be complete. (Oh I hope not!) And an 85/1.8 but that's probably fantasyland for me. Now all you need for fulfillment are the 135/2.5 and TeleTak 200/5.6. And the 85/1.8. Right.
10-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
... I like to fondle Tak's. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
*bursts out laughing*

Yes, I also agree the hunt is fun. What else am I going to do if I'm not scouring ebay?? What on earth did I do with all my spare time before this? Sheesh, talk about waste!

But yes, sensible shopping. Since the original post I've "acquired" a few more lenses, but also lost about 20 bids (thank god). I should probably get out the calculator and figure out how much of that $700 macro $$ I've already spent and how much on average each lens has cost me. When I look at all my lenses (8 so far) lined up in the sun I can't help but think now that's some good money well spent.

I'd also like to think that I've already learnt a whole lot more about cameras and photography just handling the primes by themselves. I never knew I could take low light pictures without camera shake! And I'd like to think that my photographs are getting better. Even some of the duds I got (the Tak 28-80 F), I'm wondering if the photos produced are more from user error rather than from the lens itself. And I really want to devote a lot more time to investigating what each lens brings to the table.

Gotta hop by the camera store today though. Wanna see if they've got a m42 adapter collecting dust somewhere. It's Canberra though, so probably not. I'm picking up my Spotmatic, lenses and bellows this weekend and I refuse to have lenses sitting around instead of on my k100.

10-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax webstore has m42 adapters for $30ish
10-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Pentax webstore has m42 adapters for $30ish
Actually, they're listed at only $22. The trouble is I don't think they're ever actually in stock.
10-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Actually, they're listed at only $22. The trouble is I don't think they're ever actually in stock.
*giggles*

Well considering I pick up the lenses this weekend I don't think there's any time for shipping. and I def. wanna play with them on Sun night. I'll go and see if the camera store has anything anyway. Hey, maybe they'll have a 'bargain' aisle full of outdated pentax stuff! yeah right... and unicorns are in my backyard
10-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #116

Photos: Albums
The LBA medicine can be a bit hard to $wallow.
Lets introduce you Pentax 645 and 6x7 Medium Format Cameras and lenses.
10-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It may be time to call the paramedics - as it appears that we have a terminal case of LBA. I potentially sense that urgent care may be in order here. Helicopter evacuation to the nearest LBA emergency intensive care facility.

This could get very expensive....

10-22-2011, 02:33 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The bad news is that they had no m42 adapters.

The good news is that they sell second hand lenses there on consignment (!!!!)

And the bad (or good) news is that they had no pentax lenses in there. booooooooooo.....

He told me to go back in two weeks though. bwahahaha
10-22-2011, 02:51 AM   #119
Veteran Member

You can use nikkor AIS or non AI, or olympus G, dont have to have K mount ;-)
10-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh Hoanpham... DON'T tell me that!! they had a whole bunch of olympus and nikon stuff there I think. But most of it was minolta. Dare I ask what I do with the Minolta and Nikkor mounts? *winces*