Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stay away from minolta and canon. Nikkor and olympus can be modify to fit both pentax and their original host.
Nikkor has some awesome lenses, like 105/1.8 or 105 defocus control or any 85mm. I recently mod the nikkor 50/1.4. Also got the OM 55/1.2 and the 35/2.8 shift in a lot. Will soon mod the OM lenses...

Read from the Impossible Lens Club thread. Any lens manufacturer that have equal or longer register distance than pentax can be used. You may need to research nikkor and OM lenses as well. I guess reading is good for you for the moment, instead of spending money....

Last edited by hoanpham; 10-22-2011 at 03:17 AM.
10-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Now is a Nikkor lens different to a Nikon lens?

*goes off to google for info on how to modify an Olympus mount*
10-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #123
Veteran Member

All nikon lenses are made by nikkor. Search wiki. And thanks to RioRico. HE can all about modify lenses ;-)

I am thinking to make a rail to mount both Dremel and lens mount. That will cut/modify the mount more precise and have a nice end result. My hands are not as stable.
10-22-2011, 03:25 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah right. The infamous dremel. I um am still wading through the Russian lens list. LOL. I might give the OM and Nikkor lenses on the backburner for now. But will maybe give the lenses another look when I go to the store in a fortnight =)

10-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Why not if you can get nikkor and OM for cheap? My nikkor 50/1.4 is about nothing... Cant say no, even i have a few 50/1.4...
10-22-2011, 04:01 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Like hoanpham said, avoid Minolta and Canon. And Konica, Sony, Leica (except Leica R), X-Fuji, Praktica/Pentacon bayonet, Kodak Retina. The easiest to dremel are Olympus OM and Yashica C/Y (Contax too, if you get lucky). Next easiest are Nikon AI. The pre-AI don't require any chopping, except maybe a thin slot for the Pentax lens-lock pin to engage for security. (BTW, Nikkor is the brand name for Nikon lenses, like Asahi Pentax used Takumar, and Minolta used Rokkor, and Olympus used Zuiko.)

And the no-dremel-needed easiest mount-mod is for Exakta-mount lenses. The trick here is to grind the ADAPTER, not the LENS! The lenswork is completely reversible so no value is lost. Here's how:

1) Take an Exakta-mount lens, one without the hanging stop-down button. Remove and save the index screw.
2) The bayonet is about 38mm across. Glue (contact cement) an ultra-cheap M39-M42 adapter ring around it.

Let it dry. Repeat with any other lenses you want to use. To restore the lens, just dissolve the glue with thinner and put the index screw back. The following need only be done once:

3) Tape a piece of rough (100-grit or less) sandpaper, maybe 15cm square, to something VERY FLAT like a glazed tile.
4) Get a cheap clone M42-PK adapter, and a chunk of rubber or wood. This latter will be your grinding tool.
5) Lay the PK-M42 adapter on the sandpaper wide side down, put the chunk on top, and grind away.

Your goal is to remove a bit more than 0.5mm from the adapter. Every now and then, stop grinding, brush away the metal dust, screw the adapter onto a lens, mount it on your camera, and see if it focuses to infinity. If it doesn't, grind a bit more. If it does, you're done! You can now use this adapter on all Exakta-mount lenses. UNLESS the index pin on the lens isn't a screw but a non-removable pin. If it's a cheap lens, cut off the pin. If it's not cheap, and/or you want to keep the process reversible, ask me how. Damn, I *must* write that lens-modding article soon...
10-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since it appears that you have a hopelessly terminal case of LBA, I'll go ahead and put this on your reading list.... Just a small little database of some 5,924 (currently and I am sure that there will be more) of M42 and K mount lenses that you can put on your acquisition list....
Enjoy!!!!

10-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Since it appears that you have a hopelessly terminal case of LBA, I'll go ahead and put this on your reading list.... Just a small little database of some 5,924 (currently and I am sure that there will be more) of M42 and K mount lenses that you can put on your acquisition list....
Enjoy!!!!

CRUEL, dewd, very very cruel. And those are only M42 and K-mount listings.

Of course, anyone doing serious lens research will need the vade mecum.

Ah, but that only leads down an endless trail to everlasting doom. Fun!

Last edited by RioRico; 10-22-2011 at 09:45 AM.
10-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Auch! Very cool database. May be it is a cure for LBA? Look, no need to collect them all. You just simply cant get all 5000+ in a life time...
10-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
You just simply cant get all 5000+ in a life time...
That sounds like a challenge...
10-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham:
You just simply cant get all 5000+ in a life time...

Philoslothical: That sounds like a challenge...

I agree Philoslothical.... the inner competitor in me just raised its ugly head at that statement.... THIS is why I don't gamble or play poker...

I just went and bid on a k100d Super that comes with manual lenses EVEN THOUGH I just won a k100d yesterday...... *bangs head against wall*

Oh gawd.... more compatible lenses??? It's like an neverending Tunnel of Doom.

Please, please, please, is there anybody else out there who's fallen as badly as me??? Please write to make me feel less alone!!!
10-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep the K100 Super if its in great condition and sell the K100Ds. I would suggest looking at a good condition K20 or K7. My skills immediately went up with a better body - the additional controls are excellent. Then start shooting more and looking at auctions less. See what you have and what you want to keep and sell the rest. Start an ordered list (prioritized) of things you want to acquire and only go after items on the list.

Are you acquiring to acquire - the chase? or acquiring to shoot?

10-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Auch! Very cool database. May be it is a cure for LBA? Look, no need to collect them all. You just simply cant get all 5000+ in a life time...
Only 5000+?? Go up to post #128 and click on vade mecum.

EDIT: Here is a free copy. Enjoy. Or suffer. Whatever. La la...

EDIT2: Oops, it don't work. Forget it. I don't know where to get a free copy then. Unless I post one. Hmmm, let me work on that...

EDIT3: OK, here is a free copy, for real this time! Thanks for hosting, Philoslothical!

Last edited by RioRico; 10-24-2011 at 12:09 AM.
10-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #134
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Keep the K100 Super if its in great condition and sell the K100Ds. I would suggest looking at a good condition K20 or K7. My skills immediately went up with a better body - the additional controls are excellent. Then start shooting more and looking at auctions less. See what you have and what you want to keep and sell the rest. Start an ordered list (prioritized) of things you want to acquire and only go after items on the list.

Are you acquiring to acquire - the chase? or acquiring to shoot?

Well I have to win the auction first. I put in a bid just so I could tell myself I was giving it a shot. But it's only just come up so chances are I won't win. The luckiest one I've seen was a person who got the K100d Super with lenses for $250 with only one bid. DELIVERED. Now that's one lucky sod..

I've been eyeing some of the newer bodies but I'm not sure I'm ready to take the step up yet. Although I'd love the higher pixel count (I'm telling myself it matters). So I figured just getting another of the same body would at least mean I have one machine for the bayonets and one for the m42s. That's what I'm telling myself anyhow.

I um, think it's probably a 60/40 of both. If I try (and note the word is "try") to be disciplined I can look for things to shoot - like I want a cheapy macro and a fast AF zoom or even an AF prime for the doggies.

But there is that thrill of the chase and a *big* acquiring to acquire coz I could *potentially* get a good deal. I *knew* saving up all those years ago was a good idea..... but boy it's scary watching it all dwindle
10-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Only 5000+?? Go up to post #128 and click on vade mecum.

EDIT: Here is a free copy. Enjoy. Or suffer. Whatever. La la...
LOL

Hrmm.. that linky dun work *pouts*