Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In case you haven't already, you might want to take a look at this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html .

10-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hey philoslothical,

I have a k100d. The lowest ISO setting is 400. And that's where it pretty much stays permanently. I shoot the manual lenses on Av. I prefer it to manual coz I haven't figured out all the controls yet, and so far the pictures are turning out (relatively) good. The pics I was taking of the puppies were wide shots, not close ups (I couldn't get too close without Elsie getting up and ruining the pose she was doing) in morning sun, and even at -2.0 her fur was all washed out. When I tried to fix it in PP the colours went darker but her white patches just blanked out altogether with no definition

I think i have to take it back about what I said re the F 28-80 zoom. I know it gets a bad rap here, and I probably believed in some of what I was reading too. But I took it out for a quick spin this morning before work and the pictures look good. Gosh I love auto focus. It's making me think maybe that's what I should invest in, instead of the manuals.... I just get so many more 'good' shots with the AF than I do with the manuals. Of course using AF also feels like cheating now that I've learnt how to do the manual focus. Can't win, can I? Although if I get the AF I can always flip the switch to MF right? hrmm.... thinking, thinking, thinking...
10-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You NEED to use M for manual K mount lenses. If you use Av you are shooting at the biggest aperture. And that explains your washed out look.
10-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hrmm... ok. But when I dialed down I thought I could tell a difference in the pictures themselves? Or was I just imagining it?

10-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
I have a k100d. The lowest ISO setting is 400. And that's where it pretty much stays permanently. I shoot the manual lenses on Av.
Sorry, I can't keep up with all your purchases. I was under the impression that your 50s were A series, but if they're M you should definitely use M mode. Av makes a guess at exposure with manual lenses, but it usually over or underexposes by about 2 stops. M mode and green button metering will be spot on (pardon the pun) the vast majority of the time. It's no more difficult than using Av, manual mode just sounds more intimidating. It still sets your shutter for you, just like Av, but it will do it when you press the green button. You'll be setting your aperture manually on the lens itself, so the camera doesn't worry about that, it just meters at the aperture you're using.
10-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Sorry, I can't keep up with all your purchases. I was under the impression that your 50s were A series, but if they're M you should definitely use M mode. Av makes a guess at exposure with manual lenses, but it usually over or underexposes by about 2 stops. M mode and green button metering will be spot on (pardon the pun) the vast majority of the time. It's no more difficult than using Av, manual mode just sounds more intimidating. It still sets your shutter for you, just like Av, but it will do it when you press the green button. You'll be setting your aperture manually on the lens itself, so the camera doesn't worry about that, it just meters at the aperture you're using.
LOL. I can barely keep up with my purchases. Today's project might be to transfer all my purchases into an excel database.

Nah, my 50s are all Ms. Cheaper than As and I don't think I've seen any out there in my budget anyway.

Yes you are right, Manual sounds intimidating and I think the few times I tried it I got white screens. It was easier and more satisfying to do Av. So I just stuck with that. Lazy, I know

Ok everyone talks about the green button. I have a k100d which has no green button. Is it the equivalent of the AE-L button with the little key above it?
10-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Is it the equivalent of the AE-L button with the little key above it?
I believe so. Check your manual.

10-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*sulks* i hate the manual...
10-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #174
Veteran Member

According to this some models use the DOF preview button (= move the power switch to right from 'ON') instead of the green button.
10-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I remember reading that and looking at my camera in bafflement. I think I've been absolutely exhausted scouring lens bargains. So when it comes to reading instructions (and even articles on macro photography etc) it's taking a long time for me to understand what exactly I'm reading. I swear I've read some threads in this forum four times or more and each time I come away with something that I don't remember reading before. Which is why when I read you can use both Av and M, and Av worked straight off the bat, I stuck wit that.

Often I'm more of a hands on person who does really well with pictures. I might fiddle around some more with the M mode and see if I can get the same kind of results as I did with Av.
10-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I remember reading that and looking at my camera in bafflement. I think I've been absolutely exhausted scouring lens bargains. So when it comes to reading instructions (and even articles on macro photography etc) it's taking a long time for me to understand what exactly I'm reading. I swear I've read some threads in this forum four times or more and each time I come away with something that I don't remember reading before. Which is why when I read you can use both Av and M, and Av worked straight off the bat, I stuck wit that.

Often I'm more of a hands on person who does really well with pictures. I might fiddle around some more with the M mode and see if I can get the same kind of results as I did with Av.
You should get much better results with M mode. Lenses are much sharper stopped down and it will take care of the overexposure.

You should also be able to set the iso to 200.
10-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #177
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*checks camera*

Oh lookee that! you're right! I can take it down to 200. I must've been half asleep when I checked the ISO the other day and swore black and blue it only went down to 400. :ugh: I need some rest. LOL.
10-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #178
Veteran Member

Turns out the k100d is a special case, see: K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs] [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review for step-by-step instructions.
10-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #179
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the linkie jolepp! Typical, I pick the one camera that is different to everyone else's. LOL. *goes off to read*
10-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Why is it unique on a camera? Its brilliance, and the challenge of using it. The bokeh wide-open is very creamy from its circular aperture. Stop it down at all, and the convex 5-blade iris makes pronounced starry patterns. But mostly it's the dance. Will a helicoid make it any less special? Oh I hope not. And how does it compare to Schneider ELs? I have a Comporon 50/4 and a Componar 75/4.5 but I really haven't tried comparing them. One of these days...

This Betavaron's list price, before digital destroyed the mass custom-enlargement portion of the business, was US$3500. These were being liquidated a couple years ago for around US$70. Nice discount!
Thanks Rio, it would be good to see some images out of the Betavaron, seems to be quite the unique lens. I see one on eBay for 125.00 but with slight haze in the rear element (not that I am looking for one). I might have tried to acquire the one above if I was still mired in LB fever, but since I already have 3 Componon-S enlarger lenses (50/2.8, 80/4.0 and 135/5.6) from my darkroom days, another one (however unique it may be) would be a bit too much, even for me.