Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks philoslothical!! it's all the 1.8/55's doing

nah both puppies have been desexed, so no can do!

11-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #257
Oog
Forum Member

My collection of lenses in my sig had taken me about 10 years to accumulate. My best score was a K1000 mated to the M50 f/1.7 for all of $40 from a pawn shop about 12 years ago.

I caved though and bought an FA77 limited brand new a couple of weeks ago, after a 3-year hiatus from picture-taking as I mulled over getting a digital camera body. I've taken as many photos in 2 months as I've taken in 6 years of film shooting!
11-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #258
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congrats on your scores Oog!! I know what you mean about taking photos.... Before I got into this LBA frenzy a month ago, on average I was picking up my camera maybe once or twice a month. In the last month I've been shooting every day, and have probably taken more piccies than I have combined in the last year. Gotta love instant gratification with a digital!!

Great score on the 1.7 and body. Works out really well when you also do film... I'd like to maybe one day (do film) but atm I'm pretty happy with my digital bodies. I don't really know what to do with the 6 or 7 bodies I've got sitting here in a box at my feet.
11-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #259
Oog
Forum Member

Just go out and shoot. And use that M setting on your camera.
(Made a mistake it was an M50 f/1.4 attached to that $40 K1000 that I both still have).

And no, my M50 macro is not for sale 8)

[Though there's a good A50 macro on e-bay right now but it's from a seller in Tokyo]

Last edited by Oog; 11-10-2011 at 05:32 PM.
11-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #260
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I may have confused you Oog. I am using all my manual lenses on my digital k100d and kx atm. And yes, am using the M mode. It was the old film camera bodies that I was referring to that are sitting in a heap unloved at my feet.

Ah, M50 f/1.4. But.. you also mention macro? It was a macro M50??? Sweet deal!

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.
11-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #261
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did the same thing, but with AF lenses. I've got a ton now... and quite a few of them I paid under $100 for! 100mm f/3.5 Promaster AF Macro for $100 is my favorite so far... but I do like the Tokina 35-70 f3.5-4.6, which I paid $40 for and it came with an SF10 body. Lens is razor sharp! I've got 8 or 9 lenses now... all AF except for the 500mm f/8 mirror....

Charles.

Last edited by ChopperCharles; 11-12-2011 at 12:23 AM.
11-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #262
Veteran Member

Original Poster
good deals charles!!

11-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #263
Veteran Member

heh, I just counted all the lenses in my signature. There's one that's not on there yet, and i forgot about the 50mm manual vivitar. I only use it on my manual film body though, so I forgot about it. So... 12 lenses. Dayum. Ooooh 13, I think I still have the original Dakota lens somewhere.

Some I keep because they're not worth anything (Sigma 28-105 is the biggest turd I've ever had the displeasure of using), or because i somehow feel the need to have four different lenses in the same freaking range. I keep the Pentax 35-70 on my SF10 and the Tokina will go on my Kx usually... the Tokina was such a good deal, and it was basically never used. It's also sharp and half the weight of my Tamron, so it's a nice daytime street shooter.

But honestly... the lenses on my camera most often are the Promaster AF 100mm f3.5 macro, and the new Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 I recently purchased. That 50 is amazing in low light.

Charles.
11-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #264
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a M 50 1.7 and also love it in low light. Although I must admit I haven't used it much lately because I'm testing out the 3.5/35 and the 1.8/55 - both of which do amazing in low light.

I probably only need about 13 or so, but I'm pretty sure I've got about 30 atm...... :ugh:

I need to just bite the bullet and do the database to see how many I have and how much I've spent. But I'm skeeered..

I'll then need to admit I have A Problem...
11-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This Is Fun!

This LBA thang is fun! Especially if you can snag a gem for under (gasp!) $50.00.
But I justify the cost by telling myself it's keeping two systems going; The digital camera system, which is, as we all know, virtually FREE after you have the gear.
I've gone out and taken literally hundreds of shots, come home and downloaded the results and happily spent hours sorting, deleting and saving a few. Not a cent spent. Most of those lenses are AF zooms, plus an AF-360FGZ.
And then there's my film system. ME and Super, many "M" primes to choose from, AF280T, filters and a couple of rolls of B + W film a month. Old school, gets some funny looks when folks realize this is a FILM camera!
I have separate bags for each, spiffy new LowePro ones for digital stuff.
Old-style military-looking bags (or my 30-year-old and looks it- Domke) for the film system and a "Hippy" strap for the camera. Did I mention the 40-year-old Gossen Pilot meter? That's a conversation-starter by itself.
Occasionally I'll stick a couple of the M primes in with the digital gear, when I feel the need for speed. F1.7, f2.0, f2.8 on a digital, Hoo-Boy!
So, it's all fun, not the most expensive hobby in the world and you have something to take home when you're done, which is more than you can say about a lot of other recreational activities.
Just won an F 70-210 f4-5.6 for $51.00 shipped, on e-Bay.
Ron
11-12-2011, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #266
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice score Ron!

I agree there are a lot more expensive hobbies out there. The best thing about photography is not only do you get to see and appreciate beautiful things and events, but you get to capture them, take them home and relive them whenever you go through the photos.

And the thrill to know that you were the one who managed to get a super cool shot gives me such a high!

Like you I also love getting a super bargain.
11-12-2011, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #267
Oog
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Did I mention the 40-year-old Gossen Pilot meter? That's a conversation-starter by itself.

Ron
Needless to say, my 1970's era Sekonic L-398 agrees 100% with my K-r plus 18% grey card
11-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #268
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys are speaking Pentaxian again. Do I want to know the translation? Or is it going to make the LBA spiral again?
11-12-2011, 01:30 AM   #269
Oog
Forum Member

Well, no it won't affect your LBA-itis. The Sekonic is a hand-held solar-powered light meter (no batteries needed). Hold it near the subject, point the meter at the camera, and get an exposure reading. It should give the same set of exposure settings the camera will suggest if you point the camera at an 18% grey card in the same lighting.
11-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More Stuff... Do I Need More Stuff?

Hi Wolfiegirl,
Thanks! Yep, I'm pretty proud of myself, it makes up for a couple of less-than-stellar lenses I bought before I started using the Lens Reviews here (and a few other sites) that really have helped a lot.
I have a short list of gear (mostly lenses) that I'd like to own, with the absolute top price I'll pay. Lately I've added another qualification, for lenses; Must rate (on PF) over 8.00, hopefully over 8.5 in "User Average". This is how I've been upgrading my gear and it's worked great.
Heading the list now is the "Bokina", either in Vivitar or Tokina brand, the legendary 90mm f2.5 macro. Almost never see it in Pentax mount, but an original adaptall mount would work. I'll go $350.00, unless it's on my birthday.
Oog, thanks for anwering Wolfiegirl's question, you're right, the meter almost always agrees with the camera meter, unless there's some large variation in light.
When that happens I bracket 1/2 stop up-and-down.
My local camera store has a great feature for film processing; In addition to developing and contact sheet, they will scan the negs and provide a CD, for $4.00 additional, at the time of developing. If you have it done later, it costs more.
That's Mike's Camera, 2 stores in greater Denver and the original store in Boulder. Just in case anyone's visiting Colorado.
Ron