Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Is it seemly for a middle aged man to squeal like a schoolgilr?
Generally speaking, I think there should be more of that.

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
CZ300/4
That thing is too big. Unless there's a smaller version just for small format cameras, maybe? (I have one, on the right in the picture I posted recently.)

11-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #392
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
That thing is too big
It is. I have one in pentacon6 mount. Got it few months ago, too big to fit in my pocket. Mine is as new and not 10$ if you want to know ;-)
11-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #393
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Yes I know I have a Jup. It was more than there were other Jups that looked fun to play with.

Thanks for looking out for me though!

Oh boy.. I was hoping this wouldn't be the case. Maybe I should contact him asap then. Don't want to waste his time. He's selling the lenses and the camera together, so it would seem logical that they went together.

*goes off to look at linky*
If you want to experiment, that kit was pretty good value, and the Jupiter 12 is an absolutely awesome lens by far my favourite Soviet RF lens (really sharp great colours and design essentially has the hood built in.
11-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
It is. I have one in pentacon6 mount. Got it few months ago, too big to fit in my pocket. Mine is as new and not 10$ if you want to know ;-)
I have happily forgotten what I paid for mine (also P6 mount).

It's not just too big for my pockets, it's too big for my everything. I don't have any filters that are big enough for it either. (86mm I think.)

But it certainly looks far more serious than some modern 70-300 piece of plastic. Cheaper too, probably.

11-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #395
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
You 'Merkan's' woulkd call them 'car trunk' sales
I've never heard that. Garage|yard|driveway|street sales, flea markets, swap meets, even stairway sales in San Francisco, but not car-trunk sales. Maybe that's an Eastern thang. Only thing I remember buying from a car (and not a table setup next to a car) was on the front hood, not the boot|trunk.

[The story: We were at the Hopi Cultural Center on 2nd Mesa. A guy had some pottery on his car hood, trying to sell something so he could buy gas|petrol to get home. We bought a modest pot for a modest price. A few years later the artist, Dee Setella, won a 1st at the Santa Fe Indian Market. That's a big thang. That cheap little olla is worth rather more than a K5 now. Moral of the story: Buy what you love.]

Last edited by RioRico; 11-16-2011 at 08:42 AM.
11-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
But it certainly looks far more serious than some modern 70-300 piece of plastic. Cheaper too, probably.
I know I never use this lens when i saw it, but it came within a lot of 4 CZ lenses in P6 - cheap of course. I use M*300/4 before, then got this huge babe, then few days after the A*300 knocked on my door. The CZ300 will probably break the tilt adapter if i try it.

Now i am looking for info of the nex7, not cheap, not available in store, but i would like to use my nikkors, canon FD, OM without ruining the good glasses. Nikkors and OM are ok, but the balance of my universe just tipped over due to the canon fd 85/1.2...
11-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #397

I love trawling ebay for gems.. I always check the lens database on this site first and read user reviews. I back that up by going to Flikr to check out any pics uploaded with that specific lens.

I picked up a Asahi Pentax M SMC 75-150 for $49.00 last Friday. Free of fungas, oil, etc. Looks brand new. This lens has received just over a 9 for excellent in the reviews section. Heading to NYC next Wednesday with it. #stoked..

11-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #398
Forum Member

Ebay mini-rant: I just received a box of 4 lenses (and a Ricoh body)-- the seller just piled them all in a camera bag and boxed it up, no padding or partitioning at all! 1 was DOA (stuck open diaphragm), the others seem to be okay though I haven't had a chance to inspect the glass. I've bought several lenses from ebay before and this was the first bad transaction.

Question: If the elements turn out to be dusty/filmy, how complicated is it to do the disassembly myself? Say, on a M 50/1.7?

-Steve
11-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #399
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What does one do with an AF lens that is pretty fast wide open (f2.8), but also extremely soft. Like, soft to the point many of the images look like they're from a dedicated soft-focus lens, with the glowing highlights and everything. The glowing highlights don't go away until f8, but even then it's not exactly what I'd consider sharp. Interesting photos, but... I like sharp lenses. I can't really think of much of a use for a soft-focus lens, but now I have one... due to LBA :/

Charles.
11-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #400
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think there's a tutorial on the 1.7 somewhere on this forum. But I think it's about fixing a focus ring or some such... not cleaning oil/dust/blades? I'm eating breakfast atm so can't find the link for you (yes, I check the forum while reading breakfast..)

I tell you have this LBA/CBA thing baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. I kid you not I just woke up from a dream where I went into an op shop, and scored a canon slr with lens for $3 and then only paid $1.50 coz it was 50% off day. My plan was to then sell (combined with a few dud lenses that I have accidently bought - helllo yashica) and make enough profit to buy myself some more pentax glass. I even dreamt how I'd write up the listing description.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. I need to go out more...
11-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #401
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
What does one do with an AF lens that is pretty fast wide open (f2.8), but also extremely soft. Like, soft to the point many of the images look like they're from a dedicated soft-focus lens, with the glowing highlights and everything. The glowing highlights don't go away until f8, but even then it's not exactly what I'd consider sharp. Interesting photos, but... I like sharp lenses. I can't really think of much of a use for a soft-focus lens, but now I have one... due to LBA :/

Charles.
portraits of kids?
11-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #402
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StevePrime Quote
Ebay mini-rant: I just received a box of 4 lenses (and a Ricoh body)-- the seller just piled them all in a camera bag and boxed it up, no padding or partitioning at all! 1 was DOA (stuck open diaphragm), the others seem to be okay though I haven't had a chance to inspect the glass. I've bought several lenses from ebay before and this was the first bad transaction.

Question: If the elements turn out to be dusty/filmy, how complicated is it to do the disassembly myself? Say, on a M 50/1.7?

-Steve
It happens to everybody sooner or later, especially with the super bargain lenses and or lots. I had a very good score recently (vivitar 90mm 2.5 in perfect condition for 45$), followed by a string of ebay purchases with issues (in some cases I don't care though). I got a lot of 5 cameras and one lens. Each camera was wrapped in a single layer of tissue paper. I only want them for the mounts (experimenting with custom adapters), but had I any intention of repairing and or using any of these cameras, I would have been pretty mad. I got a vivitar that had spots of lubricant, fungus and or whatever throughout the entire lens (en nearly every element). This wan't hidden fungus that needed a flashlight to see. There were obvious spots inside from either end. I didn't want to deal with another fungus lens and asked for return with them paying return shipping. They gave me some crap about it being against ebay rules for the seller to pay return shipping but offered partial refund of 2/3 the money making the cost about 6$. Fine with me as I can use the mount, but it turns out the lens may have hope. I cleaned the worst element and there was no permanent damage! I'm glad they didn't want to pat return shipping. Its going to be a pain though as every element has at leas a few spots. I also bought a ricoh with a 35-70mm 2.8 and a 70-200. The 35-70mm was fine but the 70-200mm was a 75-200 canon lens. They said they would refund about 1/3 but it takes 3-4 days to get a response (seems sincere when he responds, was apologetic and gave an explanation about the mix up). The 35-70 is all I wanted anyway so I got it a little cheaper though I think he is planning on mailing a check for the refund??? Way back I got a 500mm (the big long type) shipped in a padded envelop with no additional padding. Luckily it was fine. Its not the only time I have gotten a lens shipped in an envelop.

It may sound like I have had nothing but bad experiences but I have had many good ones to balance it out. Several of the ones with issues turned out fine in the end too. Only a small number have ended on a bad note or with a a dispute/bad feedback or anything like that.
11-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #403
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
portraits of kids?
That'd be creepy, I don't have my own and I'm not going to walk around shooting pics of someone elses' crotchfruit.
Honestly I'm not sure if there's something wrong with this lens, or it's just supposed to be this way. It's in very nice shape, doesn't even have a speck of dust inside. Ah well.

Charles.
11-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #404
Veteran Member

What does one do with an AF lens that is pretty fast wide open (f2.8), but also extremely soft.
Your lens may need to adjust something inside. I had one pretty bad shape, soft, dust, no infinity, sending to local service, and get back a complete different lens. But also depends on the service cost vs a new lens. My tokina 28/2.8 is very soft that way, I bought new 30+ years ago, but know nothing better than just keep it. A used copy today can have for very little money and not worth the service. Even my 3rd copy M135/3.5 with fungus may not worth the service.
11-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #405
Veteran Member

That'd be creepy, I don't have my own and I'm not going to walk around shooting pics of someone elses' crotchfruit.
Honestly I'm not sure if there's something wrong with this lens, or it's just supposed to be this way. It's in very nice shape, doesn't even have a speck of dust inside. Ah well.

Charles.
It's not a stellar performer by any stretch of imagination but it shouldn't be soft as you describe it. Try taking the lens apart (just the rear). It sound as if someone had already been in the lens, cleaned the elements but flipped one of the elements during re assembly. At the very least you will learn how to dismantle a lens should you need to in the future.