Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Was supposed to be the proud owner of 35mm Ltd by now...

My student loan and some birthday cash came through and the plan was that I would blow a chunk of it on my first Ltd lens...

Unfortunately the morning before the money appeared in my account... My laptop died... A good and proper death...
This being my final year of university and dissertation looming the decision was taken (by me) that a new laptop had to be priority...

Gutted! (although new the laptop is very nice, faster and much more portable/smaller than its predecessor)

Questions now are.... Do I really need to eat between now and January? Is paying my rent 'that' important? (I jest... On the second question at least...)

Looks like it's back to the piggy-bank for my 1st Ltd lens...

ETA on the 33mm 2.8macro Ltd... January 2012...

10-14-2011, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Do I really need to eat between now and January? Is paying my rent 'that' important?
Some thinspiration for you

Thinspiration pictures
10-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Some thinspiration for you

Thinspiration pictures

All those girls were saving for Ltd's?!?!?!?
10-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Some of them look like Ltd's. Just the sort of thing a freaky-deaky Dutch would post.

10-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #5

Fair play to you for being responsible. Lenses will come and go, but your education is for life..
10-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe we should make a thread for this. I could stand to lose some weight and reward myself with a limited.
10-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Some of them look like Ltd's. Just the sort of thing a freaky-deaky Dutch would post.
I have to think this over:
Urban Dictionary: freaky deaky t-shirts, mugs and magnets
10-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Actually...

QuoteQuote:
Dr. Evil's insult of Goldmembers' accent
Goldmember: fascha...Austin Power's fascha
Dr. Evil: fascha? ok sorry, I don't speak freaky-deaky Dutch
Goldmember: his dad
Dr. Evil: ohhh faTHER...FA-THER
QuoteQuote:
Nigel Powers: All right Goldmember. Don't play the laughing boy. There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Goldmember: What? Take the fahza away! Dutch hater!

10-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

As much as it is no replacement, there are many good, cheap, f2.8 manual lenses in the 28mm - 35mm range.

Not macro... but close enough, would be the viv komine 28mm f2.8 close focus (1:5). It's not bad for 50 bucks.

Sorry to hear about your conundrum. As a student, I've had to make some sacrifices in my set up to (except for my 15.... nothing and no one will pry that one out of my hands!)
10-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My favourite around there: Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CFWA (cost me US$18). Near focus is 17cm / 6.75in. Why so cheap? Luck. Perseverance. And it's Nikon mount, which I quickly chopped for PK. Or get a decent 28 or 35, and a macro tube set.

Ah, but OP wants The Big Gun. Money, money... Are you already on the impoverished student's diet of Ramen noodles, eggs, and chopped-fried cabbage? And there's always foraging, and trapping wild birds and cats. Or my old standby: befriend the cafeteria checkout person for hidden discounts. I'd never have survived Cabrillo College without Pam at the register.
10-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuchulainn Quote
Fair play to you for being responsible. Lenses will come and go, but your education is for life..
University is the best thing I've ever done... I'm 32 and in my final year but have pretty much loved every second... At 18 though I was so damn flakey I'd never have made it this far!

However... Lenses seem to come a little more than they go....

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
As much as it is no replacement, there are many good, cheap, f2.8 manual lenses in the 28mm - 35mm range.
I have a Vivitar-A 28mm 2.8... In fact I have a fair few lenses... But t'was to be my first Ltd... Something special...

In terms of focal length I do ok but I'd flog the lot for an all Ltd-line-up and most likely will do when it finally happens...

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Or my old standby: befriend the cafeteria checkout person
I've been studying 3 out of 4 years and worked on campus (as a porter/postal/shipping clerk) for 5 years previous to that... Me and the catering ladies get on really well... Sandwiches magically appear in my hands and the exchange of money is often prohibited... :-) Be nice to the hands that (can) feed you...

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 10-16-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling error