Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Polarizing Filter for DA 12-24

What do you use? Can you easily use one without losing any of your edges?

10-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Mine already darkens the sky so I could not see using a polarizer. I happen to not like the effect :-)
10-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
I just want more "POP" from this lens without using post processing
10-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should get one of the thin filters to avoid vignetting (hoya pro 1):

XD77CRPLGB Hoya 77mm DMC PRO1 Digital Circular Polarizer Glass Filter

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, but will it make my Lens and subsequent photos $150 better? Are there any more frugal options?
10-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Funny.. Today, I just bought one at Best Buy - Rocketfish. As soon as B&H opens up, I am going to buy a couple of stack-caps for it. I bought it at Best Buy because we had some points/money to use. Not a bad Polarizer for the money.
10-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went out just the other day with a Heliopan CPL on my 12-24. Every single photo I took had to be rescued, regardless of where I set the CPL. Pics looked ok on the rear screen but they all had a hazy appearance when I got them home. If you want more pop, save your money (if the 12-24 is the only lens you are buying it for) on the CPL and get the 'pop' in post processing.

The Rest.

Belle Isle, Detroit - a set on Flickr

10-14-2011, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
Thanks Adam, but will it make my Lens and subsequent photos $150 better? Are there any more frugal options?
You can try Spotlight Photo for the same Hoya Pro 1 D filter at about $35 less. I've bought a few filters from Spotlight, and so far it's been a very pleasant experience. Also, Marumi DHG filters are supposed to be a great "sleeper" brand, although you'd probably have to search them out on eBay. Most of the time they are shipped from Hong Kong (but don't let that fool you, they are a Japanese company), but one or two sellers can be found in the States. If memory serves, I think OEC is one seller in Texas. Marumis are low profile, so they don't vignette, and they are multi-coated.

I can tell you, though, the Pro 1 D from Hoya really is a nice balance of build quality, performance, and price. They are a noticeable step up from Hoya's own HMC-labeled polarizers and yet cost about 25-40% less than B+W and other "premium" brands. Another advantage of the Pro 1 Ds are the fact that, in spite of being low-profile (thinner) to avoid vignetting, they still have an outer filter thread which allows you to use your existing lens cap. I have a B+W CPL filter, and it's performance is grand, yet it does not have an outer filter thread. This means you can't use the existing lens cap; you have to use the included B+W cap that is supposed to hug the outer rim of the filter. People regularly complain out these slip-on caps not holding on tightly enough.