Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Well I have the Tammy and the DA 40. The DA 40 is tiny so it's perfect to walk around with and coupled with good to excellent image characteristics (sharpness, resolution, colours, etc.) makes for a great lens that I would definitely recommend. It's also much cheaper than the 31 and a bit less than the 43. However I don't know if 40mm is wide enough for what you want.

The Tammy is a good all around choice in my opinion. It's not as small as the other lenses but it gives you versatility in what is a pretty impressive lens. And it sells for around the same price as the DA 40.

By all accounts the 31 and 43 are amazing (and faster) lenses. The extra speed will come in handy if you're shooting indoors a lot. Since you have a K-7 I don't know if bumping up the ISO is a viable option like it is in the K-5. The 31 is pretty expensive so I don't know if it's worth the extra money to you.

Good luck deciding and let us know what you picked up.
solinvictus,

I'm selling my K7 and getting K5... do you still recommend the same thing?

10-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Well based on focal lenght's, the 31mm would make the best partner to your 50mm.

Or......you could just sell the 50mm and get the 43mm

would you sell the siggi 50 and get FA 43?
10-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would sell the 50 and get the 43. I'm not a fan of heavy lenses. But if you need 1.4 then you need 1.4.
10-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
ok final verdict my pentaxian friends...

1- Get FA 31 and keep Siggi 50..

2- Sell Siggi 50 and get FA 31 and FA 43 or DA 40?

3- Get Tammy 17-50 ( may be an odd question but the versatility is great )

Derek

10-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
solinvictus,

I'm selling my K7 and getting K5... do you still recommend the same thing?
Although fast glass is always something great to have, you could probably do quite well with the f/1.8 on the 31mm and bump the ISO up on the K-5.

I recommend you sell the Siggy, pick up the Tammy for the versatility and a 31mm for well... being the 31mm.

Later on, you can pick up a used Pentax 50mm 1.4 if you really must have a 1.4.

Hope that helps.
10-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
walk around, street photography, portrait. 50 is bit too long for walk around, clubbing etc...
I was also thinking of getting Tammy 17-50 2.8 which gives great versatility....
The Tamron is a great lens, but if you want a smaller package, you might want to try the DA 35/2.8 Limited macro - that would make a great overall lens. DA 35/2.4 would also be an inexpensive option. The FA 31 is great, but the other two may work just as well for your purposes. DA 21 Limited could be a wider option. Samyang will bring up a 24/1.4 in the near future - it's going to be a large lens, but it's a great focal length for street photography (they also have a 35/1.4 already). The Tamron is probably the best value and it will offer great flexibility.
10-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #22
Forum Member

For interior, I would consider the DA21 ... It is a sharp, thin and light lens to put on.
10-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
walk around, street photography, portrait. 50 is bit too long for walk around, clubbing etc...
There are two lenses that are thought of as "classic" for walk-around street photography, clubbing etc in the film age. Those are the 50mm and the 35mm (think Henri Cartier Bresson). the DSLR equivalents are respectively 35mm and 24mm. The 31 would probably be the perfect choice as 40 or 43 would be a bit long, though still quite useable. It is the speed of the 31 that tips the scale in my opinion and I may someday buy one. For now I stick with two Pentax-A SMC lenses, a 24 f/2.8 and a 35 f/2. I'd love to find a 24 f/2 someday.

Last edited by jeverettfine; 10-18-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling