Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NewYork
Posts: 899
Is this vivitar lens as valuable as I think it is?

So did I read the pictures wrong or is this the vivitar lens that often sells for 300$ (I think that is with the macro adapter)? It is canon mount. One seems to have gone (canon mount without adapter) recently for 140$ as is with blurry pics from a seller that claimed to know nothing about cameras. Is this that same lens that is worth so much (so much for an old vivitar anyway)?

Auctiva Image Hosting

10-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,623
Yes it's nicknamed "Bokina." A 90mm f2.5 macro 1:2, and 1:1 with dedicated extension tube (with lenses) and built in tripod mount.
10-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,623
"so much for an old vivitar anyway" Actually I consider (and I believe others feel likewise) some of the vivitars to be as good as/or better than the best of nikon and pentax--the two I have most experience with. I would for example still take the 70-210 VS1 (Komine) and the 200mm f3 VS1 (also Komine) over any other lens in it's focal length. Also in a different/lower category (as regards build) the 21mm f3.8 T4 mount (perhaps not very high in resolution) is an outstanding lens on digital--and cheap to boot.
10-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NewYork
Posts: 899
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
"so much for an old vivitar anyway" Actually I consider (and I believe others feel likewise) some of the vivitars to be as good as/or better than the best of nikon and pentax--the two I have most experience with.
I didn't mean that to come off like I thought vivitars were bad. I was thinking more along the lines of some here not considering 200$ or 300$ a lot for a lens in general. It does seem a lot for an old manual focus lens though I know some can go for a lot more than that. I have a vivitar series 1 70-200mm ver 2 (tokina) That I am very happy with (got it for 15$ shipped listed as a "vivitar 72mm skylight 1a", in olympus mount, converted to pk with m42 type operation). I have several other vivitars I'm happy with too.

I am still in a bit of shock though. I had a low snipe set for it and didn't think I had any chance of winning it. I have been out all day and just came home. I won it for 38$ + 7$ shipping.... My max bid was only 41.26$ (the reason I thought I had no chance). It was listed as a vivitar 58mm canon lens, but there was a nice clear picture showing what it was.

10-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Aegon's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,413
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I was thinking more along the lines of some here not considering 200$ or 300$ a lot for a lens in general.
LBA teaches us that $200 is a cheap lens!
10-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,862
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I didn't mean that to come off like I thought vivitars were bad. I was thinking more along the lines of some here not considering 200$ or 300$ a lot for a lens in general. It does seem a lot for an old manual focus lens though I know some can go for a lot more than that. I have a vivitar series 1 70-200mm ver 2 (tokina) That I am very happy with (got it for 15$ shipped listed as a "vivitar 72mm skylight 1a", in olympus mount, converted to pk with m42 type operation). I have several other vivitars I'm happy with too.

I am still in a bit of shock though. I had a low snipe set for it and didn't think I had any chance of winning it. I have been out all day and just came home. I won it for 38$ + 7$ shipping.... My max bid was only 41.26$ (the reason I thought I had no chance). It was listed as a vivitar 58mm canon lens, but there was a nice clear picture showing what it was.
That's a score. It may be too valuable to convert the mount. It is one of the more legendary macros. I would consider reselling it. Or, you might find a cheap FD teleconverter that you can attach a Pentax mount to, remove the glass and you'll have a short extension tube. Infinity will be lost but the lens will be intact, the conversion will be quicker and you'll get closer to 1:1.
10-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,623
Congratulations! If it is in good condition you got a great deal.
BTW if you have never handled this lens before--it is pretty much the heaviest ("densest") lens given it's rather small size (for a 90mm f/2.5 macro), and very smooth--very stable/great handling.
10-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NewYork
Posts: 899
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That's a score. It may be too valuable to convert the mount. It is one of the more legendary macros. I would consider reselling it. Or, you might find a cheap FD teleconverter that you can attach a Pentax mount to, remove the glass and you'll have a short extension tube. Infinity will be lost but the lens will be intact, the conversion will be quicker and you'll get closer to 1:1.
Those are my thoughts exactly. It's too valuable to go hacking it up. I don't do a lot of macro shooting anyway. I wasn't looking for one or any macro lens, I was just browsing cheap lenses. When I ran across it I was like, wow, a 300$ lens for 5$ and its described wrong..... I immediately put it in my sniping software with a 15$ bid. It sat that way for days. This morning, there was a second bidder and it was up to 18$. I almost let it go thinking it would skyrocket at least over 100$ at the last minute, but finally decided to up my bid.
I'm very tempted to get an adapter and try it out for a while since I'll already have it (or will in a week or two, I just won it tonight), but in the long run, there are lenses I would much rather have for the money.

10-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NewYork
Posts: 899
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Congratulations! If it is in good condition you got a great deal.
BTW if you have never handled this lens before--it is pretty much the heaviest ("densest") lens given it's rather small size (for a 90mm f/2.5 macro), and very smooth--very stable/great handling.
Thats actually how it was described is "good condition". They mentioned some scratches on the body So I'm hoping that means that's all they found (body looks fine in the pics). It's a pawn shop which worries me, but there feedback is 99.8% (4 neg out of just under 2000). 30 day satisfaction guarantee too (less shipping cost). 2 of the negs are very heavy items (probably didn,t want to eat shipping?).
10-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I am still in a bit of shock though. I had a low snipe set for it and didn't think I had any chance of winning it. I have been out all day and just came home. I won it for 38$ + 7$ shipping.... My max bid was only 41.26$ (the reason I thought I had no chance). It was listed as a vivitar 58mm canon lens, but there was a nice clear picture showing what it was.
Good buy, but unfortunately it's a Canon FD mount, an orphaned mount (not even compatible with Canon EOS). It might be desirable to someone who owns a micro 4/3 camera but for a Pentax DSLR, not much good without major surgery and no infinity even then. It might be a good idea to research the lens properly, relist the lens with lots of information and pictures, and use the proceeds from the sale of this lens for a PK mount macro lens instead.
10-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NewYork
Posts: 899
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Good buy, but unfortunately it's a Canon FD mount, an orphaned mount (not even compatible with Canon EOS). It might be desirable to someone who owns a micro 4/3 camera but for a Pentax DSLR, not much good without major surgery and no infinity even then. It might be a good idea to research the lens properly, relist the lens with lots of information and pictures, and use the proceeds from the sale of this lens for a PK mount macro lens instead.
Normally I would agree but it would seem that the pk version is very rare (and very expensive from what a few have said). When searching about it I have seen several people mention using a fd-pk adapter with the glass removed and the general consensus is that loosing infinity on a macro lens isn't a big deal. There is not a single one listed on ebay right now in pk mount and there is not a single one in the last 15 days completed listings. I'm not sure if there is one available for this lens but there are some properly machined mount conversions and or replacement mounts out there. I think there are a decent number of nex, 4/3's etc users out there buying canon glass too. I often look at dead mounts like minolta and canon fd trying to get good glass cheap (I'm getting pretty good at converting them), but its not the strangest thing for them to occasionally bid quite high if it is some desirable glass.

As for using it myself or converting it, this nice piece of glass would go to waste on me. I already have more macro lenses/adapters than I need or ever use. I just don't do macro often at all (generally it just taking a picture of a lens or a part or something, not anything artistic). Selling it would seem to be the best eventual outcome and fortunately with this lens at least, fd mount still sells for a lot.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, canon, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens, vivitar, vivitar lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple hits $363 a share , most valuable in USA normhead General Talk 6 08-11-2011 08:15 PM
For Sale - Sold: Novatron Flashmeter, Vivitar 85-205mm f3.8 lens, Vivitar S1 35-85mm thazooo Sold Items 4 03-24-2010 03:09 PM
What Makes a Photograph Valuable? mithrandir General Talk 7 02-09-2010 06:25 AM
Always Be Prepared OR Valuable Lesson Learned Leaf Fan Photographic Technique 14 07-17-2009 07:36 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top