Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #1

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newbie with some questions on some old lenses

Before I became a point and shoot victim I had a 35mm Praktica PLC2. It was a yard sale find over 15 years ago and it came with some lenses that I was able to use but only with beginers luck rather than any understanding of what I had and how to really use them. So I am hoping some one can explain what I have and how they are supposed to be used. I have tried looking them up myself but I found the information to be over whelming.

The smaller lens is a Pentacon electric 1.8/50. Attached is a filter (?) that says B-W 49ES 010 1X.

The larger lens I understand is a telephoto lens (although I am not sure exactly what is the difference between a telephoto and zoom). It has no filter. On the lens it has skyline 1:2.8 f = 135mm and no. 2235046 (serial no????).

Can someone help a newbie understand what she has?

Thanks in advance.

bigted

PS I just bought a K-r and 2 lenses - one is the kit lens DAL 18-55 and a DAL 55-300 .

10-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

My original SLR was a Praktica superTL (wow, it meters through the lens!!) and it came with a Pentacon 50 f/1.8 that focused very close (like 11 inches from subject). That was amazing at the time (I confess: 1975). Now you'll find that your DAL 18-55 can do the same, along with zoom. autofocus and 21st-century coatings.. but it cannot do f/1.8. It's hard to say what that telephoto you have can do; the 55-300 zoom includes 135mm in its range (so 135 is telephoto, 55-300 both telephoto and zoom). Once again though, the 135mm can let in more light: the 55-300 cannot shoot f/2.8! Zooms in general cannot let in as much light as a 'prime' lens, though with enough money it can be done; the DA* zooms do very well but cost (and weight) become factors. This is why many shooters carry primes for low-light imaging and zooms for versatility. Prime lenses are optimized for a single focal length, while a zoom has to accommodate more possibilities - it can be done, but again more money and bulk.

Your old lenses are probably screw mount design, is that right? An adapter will convert them to bayonet if you need to do that.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 10-16-2011 at 10:38 AM.
10-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Telephoto = a longer focal length (generally >= 100mm) which brings subjects closer to you
Zoom = a lens which allows you to change the focal length (i.e. 70-200mm, 17-50mm)

The 50mm is a standard lens (50mm is one of the most popular focal lengths)

Since you already have the K-r 2-lens kit, you should be all set without needing any other lenses. I would get rid of your old lenses and if you want something that can take pictures at night, I'd consider adding this lens to your lineup (like your DA L lenses, it has auto focus and auto exposure capabilities):
20817 Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Standard Auto Focus Lens #20817

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2011, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Before I became a point and shoot victim I had a 35mm Praktica PLC2. ...
The smaller lens is a Pentacon electric 1.8/50. Attached is a filter (?) that says B-W 49ES 010 1X.
The larger lens I understand is a telephoto lens (although I am not sure exactly what is the difference between a telephoto and zoom). It has no filter. On the lens it has skyline 1:2.8 f = 135mm and no. 2235046 (serial no????).
The Praktica PLC2 was/is an M42 screwmount camera. Your Kr is a PK (Pentax bayonet-mount camera). M42 lenses like yours can be used on your Kr with just a simple M42-PK adapter; the Official Pentax adapter may cost US$25-40 depending on how well you search eBay. We have LOTS of information here on using such lenses with your camera.

The Pentacon Electric 50/1.8 is a later version of the Meyer Oreston 50/1.8, a very popular and highly-regarded prime (fixed focal length) lens. The filter is not important; if the lens has been stored in a dark moist place, fungus may grow under the filter. It's best to remove it.

The Skyline lens is, as Adam said, a telephoto prime lens. A zoom may be wide or standard or telephoto, but it covers a range of focal lengths. Prime lenses are generally sharper and faster (wider maximum aperture) than zooms. Your Skyline tele's serial number starts with 22, so it was likely make by Kino Industries aka Kiron. Kiron is a highly-regarded 3rd-party lensmaker and your 135/2.8 is probably quite a decent lens.

Welcome to the dSLR world! Welcome to Pentax! Don't hesitate to ask any questions here. The only dumb questions are those that aren't asked. Have fun!