Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #1

Please recommend a filter for DA 15mm ltd

thanks in advanced

10-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

None applicable, or needed, although I do occasionally hold a GND in front of it.
10-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had no problem with usual Hoya polarizer, you do not have to limit yourself to some slim versions.
10-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It would help if you said what about kind of filter your were looking for. If you're perhaps thinking of a filter as something you stick on the lens for protection, you might want to Google that subject to find how controversial that is, then decide if whatever additional safety your perceive - real or imagined - is worth the very real cost in IQ.

10-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #5

Ditto to the polarizer aspect. There is no way in post processing to replicate the effects available for this one, except for darkening blue skies, but that is but one use of the filter. One thing to watch out for is the width of the filter ring if you want to be able to use the lens shade: it's a snug fit!
10-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DevKom Quote
One thing to watch out for is the width of the filter ring if you want to be able to use the lens shade: it's a snug fit!
But then he can still use one broken filter between the lens and polarizer to avoid that.
10-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the B+W normal sized MRC polariser, It is excellent, for cutting out glare & reflections from water & foliage adding contrast. It has brass rings which makes it slightly heavier that Alum frame. I'm not sure if brass is less likely to jam on a lens thread but I have never had of of these get stuck. (I jammed a Hoya UV once many years ago)

No significant vignetting. Anyway if i'm needing a polariser the lens is not wide open at f4 anyway.

Don't but the slim version of this filter for the DA15 or the DA35 macro as it will not fit inside the sliding hoods. (This might apply to the FA77 also. IDK)

mounted on DA15 with hood extended. notice the corners of the hood, just on the edge of the filter ring.
BTW the ND on the left is a Hoya ND400 (8 +1/2 stops)

10-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yes, I do think of putting a UV filter to protect the lens. So if someone happen to know which brand and model will fit, I would appreciate it if you can share the information. And also I will google to find whether I will need it or not. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It would help if you said what about kind of filter your were looking for. If you're perhaps thinking of a filter as something you stick on the lens for protection, you might want to Google that subject to find how controversial that is, then decide if whatever additional safety your perceive - real or imagined - is worth the very real cost in IQ.
10-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfang Quote
Yes, I do think of putting a UV filter to protect the lens. So if someone happen to know which brand and model will fit, I would appreciate it if you can share the information. And also I will google to find whether I will need it or not. Thanks.
Please don't do it. There is no point, unless you plan to throw the lens to your bag without lenscap. I know some pro photographers are doing precisely that, but if they take pictures for web and newspaper, they do not care about image quality. You probably do care about image quality, because that's why you bought DA15.
10-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

With a decent quallity UV filter the naked eye is not going to see any loss in IQ of a high quallity lens in a large print...

This is a really oldskool argument that has been going on forever... Some people are majorly opposed to the use of UVs... Others will bolt them to every expensive piece of glass they own... I personally do use them as I figure:
a) I'm not always gentle with my gear...
b) My kid is 7 years old, sometimes uses my camera and is NEVER gentle with my gear...
c) I'd rather replace a scratched £50/60 UV-filter than a £300+ scratched lens

I'd suggest at the very least that you use a hood, as that will definitely offer a good level of protection...
If you are going to use a UV as well... Make it a decent one...
10-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfang Quote
So if someone happen to know which brand and model will fit, I would appreciate it if you can share the information.
Any 49mm filter will fit. Brand/model don't matter for the fitting part. Just make sure you get a multicoated filter. I am partial to B+W MRC filters.