Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
imo you better get the 16-50 because you are so set on getting it that you aren't even reading other opinions. I suggested a LIGHTER wet kit. And I suggested taking the 18-55WR and seeing if it meets your needs. There is no doubt that the 16-50 is an upgrade. If you have the money and don't mind carrying a heavier backpack everywhere when you travel then go for it.

10-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
imo you better get the 16-50 because you are so set on getting it that you aren't even reading other opinions. I suggested a LIGHTER wet kit. And I suggested taking the 18-55WR and seeing if it meets your needs. There is no doubt that the 16-50 is an upgrade. If you have the money and don't mind carrying a heavier backpack everywhere when you travel then go for it.

Well...first off I made it clear from the outset that I was leaning towards the 16-50 and wanted to see others opinions on what works for them or would work for them, in that way I can gauge how similar or not my situation would be. If I was "so set" I wouldn't have bothered to make a post.

Also I would say I have read others opinions, but reading those opinions does not mean adhering to them to the letter. I understand you suggested a LIGHTER kit, that's why I stated all things considered "weight is not much of a factor". Just to be clear I am not back packing through the country, my wife's parents are getting old enough that yearly travel to the states to see us is becoming too much for them to handle and as such we will be traveling over there more frequently. So mostly we will be based somewhere but since they are good hosts we will be taking numerous small excursions particularly into the mountain highlands and central region. That being said due to the opinions of Northern Soul, bdery, northcoastgreg, elho_cid, as well as yourself I will be experimenting with the 18-55wr in a variety of situations (locally of course) to see for myself if I can rely on it for decent image quality for those times I may need it. If I can then the Tamron 28-75 will be the primary lens with the 18-55mm serving as a backup.

Additionally I have ruled out the 17-70mm as well as the 18-135mm. The former due to obvious lack of sealing and the later because I agree with you that there would be a minimal net gain if any.

Now my leaning toward the 16-50 hasn't changed but if experimentation with the 18-55 convinces me that it will work for me then that's cool but if not then that's cool also. I still want to see what works for others in their situations or even their opinions on what would constitute a good setup.