Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Extra-long flange on Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 - removal required?

Hi,

Iīve just purchased a Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 (Vivitar 75-205mm f3.8 Macro Focusing Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database) over the internet, very cheaply. It appears to be the version with separate zoom & focus rings. Itīll be my first manual zoom but is apparently the predecessor of the Vivitar Series 1 zoom in the same range, and has good IQ, though the place have advised me that the front element is a little scratched. Anyone have any feedback other than the reviews on this site?

Anyway, the photo of the mount shows this:

Am I right in thinking that I will need to cut back the extra length of the flange that protects the aperture lever in order to mount it on my K200D? I wonīt actually get my hands on the lens until christmas, but itīll be good to know.

Many thanks

10-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have one similar to this. You should see two tiny screws on the ring with that oversized guard. If you remove those, the ring itself will come off, and you can then use the lens without it. You'll just need to be a bit careful not to damage the lever, but it's not a big deal.

It's a lot easier than removing it, cutting and filing it, and reinstalling it, when there's not much benefit to having it there at all.
02-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For future reference in case anyone looks at this in the future:

Some Vivitar lenses have a very long flange which is completely unnecessary. It bangs into the part inside the K-mount where what were the power-zoom contacts (now focus motor contacts) are. These lenses can be mounted on manual focus SLRs fine but can damage AF film or digital SLRS.

I removed the metal piece and cut it down to what you see below. The back piece can be just removed but that leaves the aperture lever unprotected and the back of the lens open for dust to enter.