Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Filter info for new DA 55-300mm Question?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all,

Well I eventually got hold of the DA 55-300mm, I just wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good filter combination. After reading the manual it states that if you want to use a polarizer there are two sizes, a "Size A" or a "Size B" and it goes on to say that Type A can be fitted but is not compatible with the hood, but Type B can be fitted with the hood.
The booklet also states that Pentax circular polarizing filters are currently not produced,... So how would one know if a filter is a Type A or Type B, unless you get someone in a shop to test it for you.
Although the info about Pentax not producing lenses seems a bit strange considering that Hoya now own Pentax.

Also would there be any benefit in using an UV + Polarizer, or a Skylight + Polarizer...
Advice would be very much welcome as I don't really want to use the lens until protected.

Depending on price, any particular makes, hoya, camlink, ??

really appreciate your help and advice chaps.....

sadsack

10-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sadsack Quote
Hoya now own Pentax.
As of the 1st of October, they don't any more (but yes, I agree that it's confusing that Pentax no longer produce their own filters).

Don't stack filters on top of your polarizer- it's only going to degrade IQ and possibly cause vignetting.

I've never heard of the type a/type b thing, but this filter should work just fine on our lens:
HY58CPLF Hoya 58mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter w/ FREE FishBomb Case (hoya's tend of be of very high quality)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really think you need UV filters with modern sensors. The hood is your best damage protection. I tracked a problem with filter reflections using my older zoom, the Tammy 70-300 and stopped using it.

I would like to get a circular polarizer for airshow pictures etc. I used one back in my film days and was always happy with those results.
10-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Slap the hood on it and shoot. Maybe a CPL, lens accepts 58mm Diameter filters. I hear that Hoya is good. But own non.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-18-2011 at 03:13 PM.
10-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A UV filter when you are using a deep hood is not needed, IMHO. It will only cause problems. And those cases where you would require a CPL on the 55-300 would be limited.

My DAL 55-300 has been totally filter-free for almost two years, and I have never felt the need to put any on it.

FWIW: Lenstip.com is the place to go for reading up about what's available re CPL and UV filters. Several related articles and tests are listed here:

Articles - Lenstip.com
10-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, Adam, Ter-or & Ex Finn......

I do like the idea of the free case as so many no longer seem to come with cases anymore, unlike the old days.

Looks like I'm going to stick with hoya then, all I need to do is trace a cheap supplier, although not cheap I noticed that SRS are doing A dual UV & Polariser in one for £ 51.99p. This would kill two birds with one stone, and do what I wanted.
Hoya 58mm HRT Circular Polarising & UV Lens Filter - Only £51.99 - SRS Microsystems

Adam, Out of curiosity, who owns them now???

Thanks again for the info chaps...

sadsack
10-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

BTW there are several types of Hoya CPL's
HOYA FILTERS - The Difference is Clear

All of the CPL's are made in Japan apart from the el cheapo ones.

HY58CPLF Hoya 58mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter w/ FREE FishBomb Case
This one is the economy version (made in Philippines). It is not multi coated.

Hoya 58mm HRT Circular Polarising & UV Lens Filter - Only £51.99 - SRS Microsystems
This one is multi coated for less reflection, ghosting etc

There is also a Pro-1D version which is more expesive again. Personally I dont like it as the surface is "rough" and hard to clean greasy marks off.

The "HD" version high density glass or somthing like that.

B&H or Adorama will list all types so you can compare prices.

If you spend way to much time on this forum then you'd know Ricoh owns Pentax Camera div as of Oct 1.
If you didn't know this then congratulations, you obviously spend more time out shooting than reading the internet.

10-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have used an UV filter on a DA55-300; can't remember the make. It caused severe reflections (and it took me a while to pinpoint the problem). So now I live without.
10-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments rawr, steve1307 & sterretje,

Well I honestly thought Hoya were quality until I read some of the reviews on Amazon, and it looks like the knife is well and truly out...... either that or some people really are truly unlucky.
One person ordered 1 of the Pro 1D cpl's that unit was scratched, he returned it, ordered another from a different supplier that one was scratched, this went on until he reached 5 returns from 5 different suppliers.
I've checked out B+H and it looks like if you want quality these are the ones to go with, if the prices are anything to go by.
I found out rather reluctantly about Ricoh, I honestly don't know if this is a good thing or not. my first 35mm compact was a Ricoh, at the time I though it was the dogs, but then a lot of things look good when your 16. lol
The one thing that sticks in my mind about it, was the totally crap lens. And the interior of the camera that somehow managed to self disintegrate all on its own. Lets hope there quality standards have got better over time.
The more I read about a cpl the more i'm being put off, I'm thinking know about a basic UV or skylight just for protection if and when the hood isn't on.

Thanks for the guidance and links chaps....

sadsack

p.s.
On some forums theres a way of saying thanks, is there nothing on here that does anything similar ?
10-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You don't need a UV filter, this is a leftover from film days as the emulsion was overly sensitive to UV wavelengths. DLSR sensors effectively have a UV filter built in. By all means get a clear protection filter if it will protect your lens element from dust, salt spray, splashes of lager down the boozer or whatever any harsh environment might throw at you.
The UV filter is easier for camera store salesmen to flog because it used to be essential equipment, so the perception is there that it does somenthing, well it doesnt really do any more than a clear glass protection filter.

For physically protecting the lens front element from impacts, a hood is best and it actually improves IQ (another air/glass interface with a filter cannot).
Always, always, always put the lens cap back on if your not using the lens.

Anyway this is just my opinion, the debate on this topic rages on (thankfully elsewhere)

I think the CPL really is the only type of filter you actually do need. It does a lot to cut distracting glare and reflection from water and foliage. It greatly improves contrast when the sun is high in the sky and the light is very "flat". It offers a quite an improvment in environments such as Central Australia and and I guess USA desert states basically anywhere where the sun is high in the sky and haze / reflection is present.
Indoors or in heavy overcast it does little and just reduces available light by about 1 to 2 stops.

I've bought most of my filters and many of my new lenses from B&H or Adorama, never had a problem with them. Everything is shipped promptly and packed well.
They even have a good (7days?) return policy, not that I've ever used it. very confident buying from them even though i'm on the other side of the world.
If you use the links on this site to "get to" the webstore I think Pentaxforums gets some brownie points.

Compare the prices with your local stores with delivery, VAT etc etc. I bought some B&W filters from them as they're only available in 1 or 2 stores here in OZ and are double the price!

Remains to be seen what Ricoh does with Pentax. They have an enormous amount of money and no DSLR line. so I guess Ricoh bought Pentax because they wanted it, not to take it down. All we really know so far in 3weeks is they've kept the Pentax name so at least we know the brandname is valuable to them.

OT: I've just been going through a similar thing in my job. The company I work for which has 170 people in 7 countries was just bought by a German based group with 20,000 employees and turnover of several billion euro. We still all have our jobs, (even got a sign on bonus). My boss said they obviously bought us because they wanted us, and we have something they didn't in a market they weren't servicing. The sky hasn't fallen in.

Edit: there is a " thankyou " system in the forum. It's the little thumb's up symbol on the left side in the bottom of the post. It adds to the "likes" of the poster.
10-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a 58mm Hoya Pro Digital CPL from Amazon for mine. Don't use it all of the time and the hood fits as normal. Never heard of types A, B or any other.
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #12

I would love to own the DA 55-300 and it is on my wish list but at the moment the only ones I can find affordable are the ex kit DAL versions with a plastic mount and no bayonet hood. The DA seems to be priced over £300 when I look

I have the two kit lenses that came with the GX20 and on both I have Hoya skylight 1B filters to protect my front elements. This is a hangover from my 35mm days when I never left the shop with a new lens until it had a 1B to protect it.

I do have second hand circular polariser that fits both my kit lenses and have not had any vignetting when adding this on top of the 1B

I do get vignetting tho' when using flash and my wide zoom when it has its hood on, well not real vignetting but shadow casting from the hood and I have to remove the hood for flash work beyound say 28mm equivalent

Last edited by Aardvark; 10-19-2011 at 08:59 AM.
10-19-2011, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aardvark Quote
I would love to own the DA 55-300 and it is on my wish list but at the moment the only ones I can find affordable are the ex kit DAL versions with a plastic mount and no bayonet hood. The DA seems to be priced over £300 when I look
That's the version I have. I picked up a hood on eBay for $5 and the lens has been great. I generally do not use a filter of any kind on it and the results are very nice for such an inexpensive lens. No trouble from the plastic mount and it helps keep it nice and light which makes me more likely to bring it on a hike.

10-19-2011, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

No complaints from me about the DAL 55-300 either:

Scarlet Honeyeater w 'Orange Marmalade' grevillea

I am even seeing it new on eBay for about $230USD. A bargain lens. I can live without the quick-shift focus and metal mount. I also use a $5 hood off eBay.

Lightroom and DXO Optics Pro also recognise the lens and have profiles for it, fwiw.
10-19-2011, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I thought I might post the page from the user manual so that people can see what I read....

Sorry about the quality chaps, it was taken on my first compact digital camera, an old samsung.

I tried numerous different companies for the DA 55 300mm, and it almost sounds like contempt down the phone, It's as if the word "Pentax" alone is reason enough to take the *iss.

In a weird coincidence Jessops who originally told me "Sorry, dont stock anything, never will" seems to have done a u-turn, and getting hold of one wasn't any trouble at all, with a price of £279, and I didn't have to go and get it either.
In fact they were extremely helpful, or should I say the one person I dealt with was helpful, the manager was only concerned about selling the next Nikon to a new customer.
I did like the look of the Hoya 58mm HRT Circular Polarising & UV Lens Filter - Only £51.99 - SRS Microsystems I also saw this on amazon and thought it seemed to good to be true, B + W 58mm Clear Glass Filter Multi Resistant Coated: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
and also this one, B + W Circular Polarizing Slim Filter 58mm with Multi: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics but the price's are all over the place, anything from £45 to nearly £70 for the same CPL.

Has anyone ever heard of a company called Fotodiox, I only ask because a lot of people seemed to have purchased a kit they make, and the majority reckon there really good, but three filters for under £8, I can't see it myself.

Sorry chaps, but it's taken me three hours to get this posted,.... 6 year old, wash, bed time story, etc etc .... now i've done a refresh and seen the new post's.

mattb123, & rawr, would I be right in saying both of your pics were taken using the 55-300? also would you mind if I ask what camera you used please.... any filters involved?

thanks all,
sadsack

"tried to do a quick reply but kept on getting a token error, whatever that is".......