Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Digital Crop vs. Perspective

I've noticed that if I take the 18-55 that came with my K100D set on 18, and compare it side-by-side with my SMC 28 on my Spotmatic, despite having the same FOV, the image from the k100 looks like crap compared to the Spotmatic.

So what I'm wondering is if the digital sensor crop only affects the field of view, while the perspective from the lens' real focal length is still what is seen.

I'm wondering because if I get the 43 or 40, which is a focal length I like on film, will it have the same feeling aside from the tighter frame on a digital camera?

12-10-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perspective is affected only by the distance from the subject, not by the focal length of lens used. You can do this with your K100d to see the effect.
- take a photo at 55mm
- take a photo at 18mm but with the same area covered.
The fov is the same, but the perspective is different

- take a photo with the 18-55 at 28mm and compare it to the 28 on your Spotmatic from the same distance. The digital will have a smaller fov, but the perspective will be the same.
12-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the reply.
A little bit of guided help and it all makes sense!