Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's a difference between what's sharp enough to count as in focus according to a DOF / hyperfocal ditance formula, versus what's sharp enough to stand up to pixel peeping. I wouldn't assume you don,t need to focus just because a formula says it should be in focus. The formulas assumes a typical print viewed from a typical distance, not an image viewed at 100% from a foot away on a computer monitor.

10-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Elsinor 24mm f2.8, also found badged as Clubman, and a few other names as well. Stunning lens that's cheap and overlooked.
10-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There's a difference between what's sharp enough to count as in focus according to a DOF / hyperfocal ditance formula, versus what's sharp enough to stand up to pixel peeping.
1+

Steve
10-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter

A lot depends on what format you are shooting. If you are doing APS-C on a Pentax dSLR, a 28mm is really not very wide (pretty close to normal to be honest) and a 24 is just getting close to being wide.

If you want sharp and very wide and relatively low-priced, the Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye might be your best bet, though it is hardly cheap anymore. There are legacy lenses from Tamron and Vivitar in the 17mm range that might also work for you.

Steve

10-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I'm surprised no one said K28/3.5. Hard to beat; sharpest of all 28mm perhaps.
10-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #21

I think the key is to be patient, save your sheckels, and buy something that fits the bill the first time. Its definitely worth saving for a Sigma 10-20 or a DA15.......or whatever. I love 28mm, but I always miss the width when I'm out galavanting on my early morning photographing sessions.
10-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Besides that I think you could benefit from following some of the good advices you have got here for how to make your current lenses perform better, if you are after a wide lens on budget (and 28 and 24mm lenses aren't really wide on an APS-C) there are not many decent alternatives. One would be the Cosina 20mm f3.8. Well built, good optics, underrated, can be found for modest prices. I think it exist under several other labels, including Vivitar.
10-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #23

Original Poster
@paulh
> What apertures are you using? You might need to stop down more (f/8-f/11) to achieve max sharpness.
Usually around f8 for group shots. You'll be able to see in the example picture I posted.

@RioRico
>Technique? If you're handholding your 18-55 wide-open at 18/3.5, loss of detail isn't remarkable.
When I'm shooting a group, I most always use a tripod (for head swaps, etc).

@Laurentiu Cristofor
>Can you describe in a bit more detail your Sears lens?
From the front of the lens: AUTO Sears MC, Japan, metal. I'm enclosing a picture. This is not a picture of
my lens, it is one from the internet. But it is identical to what I use.

Everyone else, thank you SO much for your input! I've added every single lens you recommended to a document so I can
search for them. So far, I haven't found one of them available to purchase. Hopefully something will come up soon. I appreciate your input so far!

Also, I'm enclosing a picture that shows comparison of the details. This is shot with my 50mm. (I'm also enclosing a picture of the 50mm for @Laurentiu Cristofor.

Thanks again everyone. Really appreciate the recommendations. EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

(this example is zoomed in for emphasis....)

Attached Images

Last edited by mishmatta; 10-21-2011 at 06:27 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
10-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #24

Original Poster
Also, I forgot to mention: i checked the lens database here BEFORE I purchased my promaster 28-105 and it got a pretty decent rating (9.0). Said it was sharper than the kit 18-55. So it's hard to know what to buy and what not to buy. I thought I was getting a pretty decent walk-around lens by the reviews, but personally I don't think it's sharper than my kit (if it can even compare).

I feel my 50mm is my best lens, with the kit lens behind it. Don't laugh, but my quantaray 70-300 that everyone curls their noses at is a nice third in my collection.

One day I'll hit it big, and be able to pay the mortgage, feed my 3 kids AND purchase the lenses I *really* want.
10-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I'm surprised no one said K28/3.5. Hard to beat; sharpest of all 28mm perhaps.
K28/3.5. happy now?
10-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

FYI the Sears 50/1.7 lens you have pictured was made by Cosina. I have had a couple copies of the nicely sharp f/2 version and wouldn't mind adding the f/1.7 version to my accumulation of lenses. The Cosina 50's have a good reputation.
10-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I think the problem is that you're blowing up a detail from a shot taken at 75 ft, and expecting it to be as sharp as a shot taken from 5 ft. There will usually be artifacts, pixelation, maybe some lens distortion, and other degradations that occur. What you are doing is the equivalent of "digital zoom" on a PnS camera, which is going to show fuzziness & loss of detail. Your group shot probably looks fine viewed normally, no? I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable members here to expound on this (if I'm correct ).

Last edited by paulh; 10-21-2011 at 07:20 PM.
10-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #28
Veteran Member

One you might want to look for if you are wanting to go cheap is a ricoh rikenon 50mm 2.0. While is seems how good they are very from lens to lens, its not uncommon to hear people make comments like its the sharpest lens ever made (if you get a good copy). It is also a less appreciated lens price wise. I paid about 6-7$ shipped for mine off ebay in nice condition and it is sharper than any other lens I own. If a 50mm will work for you, it might be worth a try, especially considering how cheap they can be had.
10-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I think the problem (IMO) is that you're blowing up a detail from a shot taken at 75 ft, and expecting it to be as sharp as a shot taken from 5 ft. There will usually be artifacts, pixelation, maybe some lens distortion, and other degradations that occur. What you are doing is the equivalent of "digital zoom" on a PnS camera, which is going to show fuzziness & loss of detail. Your group shot probably looks fine viewed normally, no? I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable members here to expound on this (if I'm correct ).
I agree - I don't see a sharpness problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
FYI the Sears 50/1.7 lens you have pictured was made by Cosina.
And I thought that was a Ricoh model. Good to know it's a Cosina. I also have a plastic Sears 50/2 which looks exactly like a plastic Ricoh 50/2 I've seen around, so I'm sure that one is Ricoh. This 50/1.7 is maybe a bit less sharp wide open than that 50/2, but other than that, there aren't many obvious differences. The 1.7 is built to last - it feels more solid even than K/M lenses. These Sears 50s are good lenses.

@mishmatta - you have a good lens there in that Sears. It's going to be hard to find something significantly better under $100.
10-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I agree - I don't see a sharpness problem.
Ditto. Just enlargement artifacts. And for that degree of enlargement, not many artifacts!

QuoteQuote:
And I thought that was a Ricoh model. Good to know it's a Cosina. I also have a plastic Sears 50/2 which looks exactly like a plastic Ricoh 50/2 I've seen around, so I'm sure that one is Ricoh. This 50/1.7 is maybe a bit less sharp wide open than that 50/2, but other than that, there aren't many obvious differences. The 1.7 is built to last - it feels more solid even than K/M lenses. These Sears 50s are good lenses.
My Rikenon 50s are metal M42s, not plastic-body PKs. The Sears feels more like a similar Chinon but the markings differ, whilst that Sears and those Rikenons have similar markings, but so do some lenses I attribute to Tokina. Tracking lens lineage through the production+marketing maze is a daunting task.

QuoteQuote:
@mishmatta - you have a good lens there in that Sears. It's going to be hard to find something significantly better under $100.
My Sears 50/2's were US$4 and $10 (and I sold the $4 one for $11). I think I've seen the f/1.7 for around US$30. My ultrasharp M42 Rikenon 50/2 and 55/1.8 were US$10 and $6 respectively last year; I haven't checked current prices. These are all up to the standards of the M50/1.7 and SuperTak 55/1.8 and Petri CC 55/1.8, i.e. some of the sharpest glass around. They're truly fine bargains.