Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New Lens Purchase

Just picked up a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 for my K7. I got it at Henry's here in Canada. Seemed to be best price I could find. They also had a deal on so I also got a Gary Fong Collapsible starter kit. I was surprised at it having a 10 year warranty. :-) Henry's sold me the package for $999.99. Little cheaper than what's showing on their website. I think I did well. Now I just need some nice weather so I can give it a try. Did a few test shots in the house, and it seems sharp. It is a heavy lens, but well balanced. With is being nicely balanced, it's nice and steady in my hands, not like some other lenses I've had mounted.

10-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exciting for you!
A photographer I admire who I've also taken a class from once said: "The worse the weather, the better the photos.". So get out there in the bad weather!
10-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Exciting for you!
A photographer I admire who I've also taken a class from once said: "The worse the weather, the better the photos.". So get out there in the bad weather!
Well I do agree with that. Clouds make a nice softbox, but if it's raining, that's a bit different.
10-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Well I do agree with that. Clouds make a nice softbox, but if it's raining, that's a bit different.
Blizzards and whiteouts are also a bit disagreeable. Not to mention hurricanes and tornadoes, tephritic eruptions, solar novae, and frogfalls. Sometimes it's best to just stay indoors. (I'll avoid mountain snows this winter by relocating to the Mexico border.)

Wait, how did we get here? Is the lens weatherized? Is the photographer?

10-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll cover the mountain snows for you. With my completely un-sealed kit!
10-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'll cover the mountain snows for you. With my completely un-sealed kit!
By "mountain snows", I'm referring to winter-2011 experiences, where for one week we couldn't get into our cedar-forest house, and for another week we couldn't get out of it. The 9m / 30ft accumulations were a bit hard to deal with. Our old adobe in picturesque Bisbee AZ gets a couple inches at a time -- we can handle that. Snowshoes aren't needed there. Whew!

[/me has other reasons to hate snow, but don't get /me started]

ObTopic: IMHO the best budget lens for snowy weather is a pinhole in the side of an oatmeal carton loaded with a thin sheet of photo paper. Load carton; take outside; lift flap; go back indoors. Sometime later, return for carton, close flap, dash back inside, warm feet by fire. No problem. No hypothermia. No snow worms devouring brains.