Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Need advice on Pentax FA20/2.8 hood.

My LBA is taking over again. I just got a Pentax FA20/2.8 lens. It came without hood. So, the question is if I need a hood for this lens? I could not find the original one on e-bay, but there are a lot of 67mm screw hoods. So, has anybody any suggestion which one I could you with the lens.
Really appreciate any thoughts.
Best regards,
Yuriy

10-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used empty filter rings as hoods for a number of my lenses since they are stackable to different lengths. I got lucky and picked up a large number of filters with damaged glass from an older camera store for about 25 cents each.

Some people also like to use step down rings since they make for a very short hood with most of the same light blocking benefits of a longer hood. A round, rectangular or petal shaped 67mm screw on or clip on hood designed for a full frame 28mm lens would also work well if you are only going to be using your 20mm on a crop DSLR. One of the cheap screw on petal shaped hoods for an 18mm-whatever zoom lens with 67mm thread would be reasonably effective.
03-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just received a mint-looking FA20/2.8 and now I'm looking for a suitable hood. I intend to use the lens on the K-1, so it must not vignette on the wider format.

I have found a couple of promising options HERE and HERE. As they are so cheap I'll probably just get both and see which works better, but I'd love to hear from those who own the lens and already have a workable solution.
03-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
My LBA is taking over again. I just got a Pentax FA20/2.8 lens. It came without hood. So, the question is if I need a hood for this lens? I could not find the original one on e-bay, but there are a lot of 67mm screw hoods. So, has anybody any suggestion which one I could you with the lens.
Really appreciate any thoughts.
Best regards,
Yuriy
The most common 67mm wide-angle hood on ebay caused little vingetting in the extreme corners with fa20/2.8 ... I've found some used one that looks kind of a pentax original hood copy and it does not vingette but I'm not sure if there's any improvement with it compared to no hood. I guess if fa20/2.8 really needed a hood that badly, the original hoods would have been much more common on the used market. Another options are stacking up some step-rings starting from 67mm or maybe the Contax Metal Hood 1 + 67/86 step Ring or just the step ring itself (but it's too expensive for what it is).

03-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it's worth, I have ordered the petal hood I mentioned above, and a 67-58 step down ring. I'll report back with how they perform.