Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
How much extra at the retail level are you willing to pay in order to get that?
To keep a stock parts for 40 lenses?
Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

10-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
To keep a stock parts for 40 lenses?
Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
If you want to phrase the question that way, then yes.
Don't forget about the cameras that are still needing service parts as well.
10-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hold on people - some of you seem to be making excuses for that is tantamount to lack of professionalism when it comes to quality of service on the part of CRIS.

I've dealt with many professional service centers (HP, Avaya, Dell, and many others) as I've been involved in professional IT support and management for a long time. There are basic problems I see with the rationale being presented by some here so I'd like to put my $3 cents in:

CRIS runs a Pentax authorized repair center. The expectation from everyone involved is that they can do ANY repairs on ANY lens or equipment they are authorized to repair. if they can't handle it, ship it to corporate. Period. End of Story.

There is no excuse for CRIS to allow a lens to sit on their bench for 3 months, for a current lens still being sold. And then, to then say something like "at least we aren't charging you more..."

I'd seriously file a complaint with Pentax regarding this comment alone, and point out how it seems they aren't capable of repairing this lens (as per their own admission) and apparently implying that they could charge you more if they wanted to, so in essence back off.

The beauty of it all is it seems you have it in official email on their part, so you can easily forward their communications as well.
10-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
There is no excuse for CRIS to allow a lens to sit on their bench for 3 months, for a current lens still being sold. And then, to then say something like "at least we aren't charging you more..."

I'd seriously file a complaint with Pentax regarding this comment alone, and point out how it seems they aren't capable of repairing this lens (as per their own admission) and apparently implying that they could charge you more if they wanted to, so in essence back off.

The beauty of it all is it seems you have it in official email on their part, so you can easily forward their communications as well.
I wouldn't put it like that. It's not as if they weren't threatening me, but rather I got the feeling that they were trying to subtly word it as if I should think I'm getting a good deal, i.e. I'm dumb enough to expect them to charge more for a service they should have rendered in the first place, and I would be pleasantly surprised at the good service that they didn't. I was much nicer and more patient in my correspondance than I suspect a typical angry customer would be (no direct complaints, just polite requests for status updates), so I wouldn't be surprised if they thought that way.

But anyway, I'm planning to file a letter of complaint in the near future anyway, simply because despite having it with the estimator for a week, and "in repair" for over 3 weeks (not to mention all that time sitting around on "parts hold"), they were still unable to properly identify the problems (which I was very careful to find, test and describe in detail when I sent it in). That they did not bother to properly examine or work on the lens in all that time, nor submit parts orders (twice) until the very last minute when they discovered that they couldn't do anymore (despite promises of "highest priority") reeks to me of pure incompetence.

Last edited by Cannikin; 10-23-2011 at 01:26 AM.
11-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This has gone from aggravating to pathetic.

After sending a complaint letter to them a few weeks ago, I finally got an update on the estimated arrival of the parts: 12/19/2011. For those keeping track, this is 9 weeks, even worse than my original worst-case estimate of 7 weeks. 16 weeks total in parts shipping. What do they do, put these things on a rowboat? I could have shipped my lens directly to Japan and probably gotten it back in less than half the time.

So now I have to push my worst-case estimate back from 21 weeks to 23 weeks, not including shipping time. But ah, of course this is right smack in the middle of the Christmas/New Year holiday period, so I'm sure they'll be taking their precious time off after their "unparalleled digital camera repair customer service and quality" (quoted directly from their website's front page) for the past 5 months. So more like 26 weeks, a full half year (assuming they don't do this to me again).

Lesson in all this? Break your lens on the 4th of July, and consider yourself lucky if you have it back before New Year's (which it looks like I won't).

This is absolutely pitiful "service" on both CRIS's part (not doing their job properly, and empty promises) as well as Pentax's (for thinking 2 months shipping time, each time, and not stocking parts in the first place, is considered acceptable service for one of the biggest markets in the world). And this is a paid service. I have gotten the vast majority of mail-in rebates back (where the company is paying me) in less than half that time.

I certainly hope PRIC fixes this situation fast, or any pros who join Pentax and expect pro service for the 645D or (potential) future FF camera are going to be mighty upset.

Last edited by Cannikin; 11-22-2011 at 05:56 PM.
11-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Not to rub salt into the wound, but did you happen to see this current post where somebody sent in a second-hand Sigma 100-300mm f4 for repair, and Sigma repaired it in one day, for free?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/166251-sigma-service-rocks.html

Where does Pentax get off charging a premium for their lenses, giving them a measly 1-year warranty, and then taking forever and a day to fix them? Especially when it seems that they fail at a disproportionate rate. Why do they ever think they'll get any of my money if they don't shape up?

I already own a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 and the 30mm 1.4, and they're both incredible lenses. And when I sent them in to Sigma recently for calibration, the turnaround time was a matter of hours. I'm always saving up for another lens, and my money will continue to go to Sigma. The 85mm 1.4, the 8-16mm, and the 17-50mm 2.8 are all on my list. Sure, I would love to support Pentax, but I work hard for my money so I'll put it where it goes farthest.

As far as I'm concerned, Pentax should send you a new 60-250mm if they haven't been able to fix it after all this time.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 11-23-2011 at 09:44 AM.
11-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you emailed Pentax support and pleaded your case? Possibly in the form of "can you help?" rather than "what are you going to do about this?" You'll always catch more flies with honey.

I strongly suggest you do so now. I know I would have.

11-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Have you emailed Pentax support and pleaded your case? Possibly in the form of "can you help?" rather than "what are you going to do about this?" You'll always catch more flies with honey.

I strongly suggest you do so now. I know I would have.
I've dealt with situations like this before and sending it to support wouldn't be the best in a serious situation like this. They're the front line workers that would send it to their manager. It wouldn't make it to the top to those that make decisions. You know Ned Bunell is active on his blogs and what not, I'm sure he'd love to hear about this.

Remember, sh*t flows down...
11-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would send a letter to Pentax USA, suggesting that they could bring this to a quick and final conclusion, by just sending you a brand new lens - and call it even (with a full warranty). This way CRIS could take their time in evaluating the lens properly and then fixing it. Ned could do the quality control on the repair in his spare time, shooting snow flakes out his 26th story office window.....

11-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Hearing all the issues faced by Pentax users in USA, boy am I lucky I'm a Pentax user in Singapore.
I just got my K-5 back from Pentax Japan for minor AF adjustment and I got a brand new CMOS sensor installed, all in 3 weeks flat. And the camera is just perfect with my DA* 55mm f/1.4 at all apertures. Dunno what the folks at Pentax Japan did but the results are awesome. Arigato...
11-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Not to rub salt into the wound, but did you happen to see this current post where somebody sent in a second-hand Sigma 100-300mm f4 for repair, and Sigma repaired it in day, for free?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/166251-sigma-service-rocks.html

Where does Pentax get off charging a premium for their lenses, giving them a measly 1-year warranty, and then taking forever and a day to fix them? Especially when it seems that they fail at a disproportionate rate. Why do they ever think they'll get any of my money if they don't shape up?

I already own a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 and the 30mm 1.4, and they're both incredible lenses. And when I sent them in to Sigma recently for calibration, the turnaround time was a matter of hours. I'm always saving up for another lens, and my money will continue to go to Sigma. The 85mm 1.4, the 8-16mm, and the 17-50mm 2.8 are all on my list. Sure, I would love to support Pentax, but I work hard for my money so I'll put it where it goes farthest.

As far as I'm concerned, Pentax should send you a new 60-250mm if they haven't been able to fix it after all this time.

A little more Salt

Sigma Canada offers a 10 year warranty on their lenses
Tamron has a 6 year warranty up here as well
And Pentax Canada is 2 years on cameras and lenses (but the service i've had from them has been excellent)
11-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Bad service on a lens by Pentax USA (hoya) is what made me buy some Canon gear which led to mostly Canon gear. That was just before service switched to CRIS. I guess my self imposed embargo on Pentax-hoya can now be ended as ricoh is the new owner, but it sounds like the service in the US on lenses is still lousy.
I want a K-5 with an EF mount
12-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As you guys suggested (thanks by the way), I emailed Pentax USA a little over 2 weeks ago explaining the situation and asking for an explanation as to the excessive parts delays. Here's their very helpful reponse:
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax:
(In case my sarcasm is not clear, they didn't say anything)

The first time I sent through their online webform. Waited a week, nothing. I then sent another one directly by email to them (they conveniently hide their email address on their page now, but I know it from previously). Waited another week, still nothing.

I hate to be the spreader of bad publicity, but all this suggests to me is that PRIC just does not give a damn, content to let CRIS take all the heat.
12-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Write a letter to your local State consumer affairs department describing the problem, and the inadequacies of the warranty service, and forward a copy to Pentax USA's corporate HQ.
12-09-2011, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
As you guys suggested (thanks by the way), I emailed Pentax USA a little over 2 weeks ago < snip >
Sorry to hear about your initial trouble and subsequent hassles. Some recommendations:
  1. Documentation. For your own reference and to support further communications of all kinds, document (briefly) the timelines of critical actions (e.g. all the status updates from the CRIS website, etc.), communications (whether by phone, email, web form, letter, etc.), CRIS / Pentax responses (if any), and CRIS / Pentax commitments and whether or not they followed through. This assists in maintaining a consistent, coherent story line even as you may deal with a variety of people in the course of trying to resolve your issue. The consistent, coherent storyline minimizes the opportunity for customer service to deflect deflect responsibility onto an "unreasonable", "irrational", or "confusing" customer.
  2. Employee Identification. For all communications with CRIS / Pentax, insist on capturing a unique identifier for each employee with whom you engage. Add this to all entries in your documentation, above. In small organizations, first name is often sufficient, other times you might need first name and last name or initial (if they'll give it), and increasingly in larger customer service operations they'll provide an ID number of some kind. To a degree, gathering this information up front, before delving into the specific issue(s), sends the message you intend to hold accountable the individual with whom you're communicating. People don't generally want the hassle of their boss coming down on them for issues they could and should have resolved up front. If they think you'll hold them personally accountable (e.g. by escalating to their boss), they're more likely to deliver than if they think they're an anonymous entity in the customer service ether.
  3. Phone. Skip the emails and web forms. Call CRIS and Pentax on the phone and speak to someone voice-to-voice. Be polite (always), but direct and firm. IME, it's very easy for customer service to dismiss (or neglect) emails and web form submissions. A phone call forces them to deal with you directly and immediately. Sometimes, they'll need to check on things and call you back. Let them. But be diligent and re-contact them if they don't return your call within the timeline to which they commit. If you don't get satisfaction, insist on speaking to the next person in the reporting line (e.g. supervisor, manager, etc.) until you receive (even if only temporary) satisfaction.
  4. Persistence and Timing. Persistence counts, and don't allow too much time to elapse before re-contacting if you're not satisfied with the results (or lack thereof). Customer service should be professional enough that you need not jump through the persistence hoop. But, alas, we don't live in an ideal world, and there's more than enough un-professionaly customer service organizations out there. By not allowing too much time to pass between communications, you inform customer service you're not going away, you're not satisfied, and you consider their response and performance a priority.
  5. Registered Mail. In conjunction with, or in addition to, the above, send a professional business letter via registered mail to both CRIS management and Pentax corporate. The letter should document your experience, express your dissatisfaction, and explicitly indicate how CRIS / Pentax may resolve the situation to your satisfaction. Be polite, be firm, be reasonable, be professional. Send the letter as high up the CRIS management / Pentax corporate chain as possible. No manager worth their salt will let something like this ride. One of the hardest parts in trying to resolve customer service issues like this is finding the right manager who can light a fire on your behalf, and a physical letter via registered mail will often bubble it's way up to the right person who can help you.

It seems you've done in full, or in part, some of these things. Pick and choose which others, if any, you find useful, and give it a go. Best of luck!