Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #31
Inactive Account

cris

My lens has been at C.R.I.S. since 6/28/12. It is now 9/16/12. Parts still on order!

09-16-2013, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hitechrr Quote
My lens has been at C.R.I.S. since 6/28/12. It is now 9/16/12. Parts still on order!
My condolences, and thank you for the update. I can't believe that, but at least it's good to know which lens makers to avoid. I've almost got enough saved up for my next Sigma. Now I just need to decide whether it will be the 8-16mm, or the 18-35mm f/1.8.
09-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

It is now 9/16/12
I'm really confused right now. The previous post in this thread was made in 2011, and now it's 2012? Or has your lens been at C.R.I.S. for over a year?
09-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I'm really confused right now. The previous post in this thread was made in 2011, and now it's 2012? Or has your lens been at C.R.I.S. for over a year?
Look's like he's not the OP, but is another unfortunate victim.

09-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #35
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possibly a misprint? 2013 is more likely...
09-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
Also, please give free estimates without having to mail in the lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
How are they supposed to do that without seeing the lens? Makes no sense at all. Hopefully you were joking.
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
If he was, I'm not. Not always, but usually, I can describe what is wrong with a lens. If they would even give me a shot in the dark price tag, that would be better than nothing.

Lets face it; if you call and say I've got a DA* 16-50 that wont autofocus anymore, they know exactly what the cost will be, probably without a technician even being involved.
You need to consider a couple of things, when asking for a free estimate. Sure, on a DA 16-50 there is a good chance they know exactly, but I believe even the DA 16-50 there is more than one failure mode in the focusing system, not counting customer damage.

Wen you get an estimate, you are making a financial decision. When the price is wrong, you, the customer will complain, typically "if I had known it would be that much I would not have bothered" . You want a free price, but you really need an accurate price.

Imagine the OPs case. They made an exam of the lens, quoted a price. Then they discovered they were wrong and it took more parts than needed. Thatnis their risk, because they saw the lens. A free quote means they take that risk without seeing the lens. No business owner in their right mind would do that, unless he quoted such a high price that there was no risk.
09-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You need to consider a couple of things, when asking for a free estimate. Sure, on a DA 16-50 there is a good chance they know exactly, but I believe even the DA 16-50 there is more than one failure mode in the focusing system, not counting customer damage.

Wen you get an estimate, you are making a financial decision. When the price is wrong, you, the customer will complain, typically "if I had known it would be that much I would not have bothered" . You want a free price, but you really need an accurate price.

Imagine the OPs case. They made an exam of the lens, quoted a price. Then they discovered they were wrong and it took more parts than needed. Thatnis their risk, because they saw the lens. A free quote means they take that risk without seeing the lens. No business owner in their right mind would do that, unless he quoted such a high price that there was no risk.
Good points, but you do realize you're replying to posts made two years ago, right?
09-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Get real

I repaired cameras for 30 years and although there are common causes for many symptoms you can have the same symptom for something that has been drop-kicked. Giving an estimate without seeing the item is asking for trouble. Also, customers who are sure they can tell what the problem was one of my great annoyances. I couldn't believe that people would want to argue with me about what the problem was. As far as parts being on back order, I had parts from Canon and Nikon take up to 9 months. In the old days a manufacturer would set aside a significant percentage of parts for future use. Nobody does that anymore because margins are too small. If someone in Japan decides that the part won't fail or for some other reason isn't needed for standard stock, getting that part can be tough. What people want is for the manufacturer to give them a replacement for something that takes too long like Minolta used to do. You can see how well that worked for them. This isn't what people want to hear, but sadly is reality.

09-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Shouldn't that be 9/16/13???
09-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

A price quote should be free. An accurate quote depends on many factors including the abilities and experience of the repair place.
09-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Good points, but you do realize you're replying to posts made two years ago, right?
That Jennie is out of the bottle and is still pertinent. How many authorized Pentax repair centers are in the U.S.A.?

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I repaired cameras for 30 years and although there are common causes for many symptoms you can have the same symptom for something that has been drop-kicked. Giving an estimate without seeing the item is asking for trouble. Also, customers who are sure they can tell what the problem was one of my great annoyances. I couldn't believe that people would want to argue with me about what the problem was. As far as parts being on back order, I had parts from Canon and Nikon take up to 9 months. In the old days a manufacturer would set aside a significant percentage of parts for future use. Nobody does that anymore because margins are too small. If someone in Japan decides that the part won't fail or for some other reason isn't needed for standard stock, getting that part can be tough. What people want is for the manufacturer to give them a replacement for something that takes too long like Minolta used to do. You can see how well that worked for them. This isn't what people want to hear, but sadly is reality.
What hurt Minolta was the loss of a huge law suite with Honeywell. They never really recovered. Plus, by your logic, Nikon would have gone nose up.
09-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Shouldn't that be 9/16/13???
It is 2013, according to this post.