Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Seriously CRIS? Really?

Sorry, a little rant here, but...

So a little over 3 months ago I dropped my DA* 60-250 on concrete. Sent it out to CRIS for repair. They claim 15-20 business days (3-4 weeks) turnaround time, so I had high hopes that I could get the lens back before summer was over. Well, let's just say it didn't quite work out that way. Here's the status updates from CRIS's website:

Date Received: 7/19/2011
With Estimator: 7/21/2011
Requires Attention: 7/27/2011
In Repair: 8/2/2011
Parts Hold: 8/12/2011
Parts Hold Backorder: 8/18/2011
In Repair: 9/30/2011
Process Hold: 10/12/2011
Parts Hold: 10/13/2011 <<<
Parts Hold Backorder: 10/19/2011 <<<

3+ weeks total "In Repair". 7(!) weeks on "Parts Hold" (the first time). After sending an inquiry, they apologized for the delay and assured me my order would be given the "highest priority" and expedited. And what do they do? They put me on "Parts Hold" again...

When I sent another inquiry, their response was more or less: "Sorry, we actually don't know how to repair this lens. We asked Pentax, and turns out we need different/more parts. At least we're not asking you to pay more." As if they were doing me a favor with that last part. So, what exactly were they doing those 3+ weeks "In Repair"?

Yay, I suppose 7 more weeks of "Parts Hold", and another ~2 weeks "In Repair"? 21 weeks at CRIS (including 19 since start of "repairs"), over 5 times longer than their estimated turnaround time!

Ricoh, please:
- Make sure Pentax Ricoh USA is well stocked with parts.
- Set up a first party repair center here.

Last edited by Cannikin; 10-19-2011 at 05:02 PM.
10-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Ricoh, please:
- Make sure Pentax Ricoh USA is well stocked with parts.
- Set up a first party repair center here.
Also, please give free estimates without having to mail in the lens.

Last edited by pz1fan; 10-19-2011 at 05:10 PM.
10-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh, please: - Make sure Pentax Ricoh USA is well stocked with parts. - Set up a first party repair center here.
Hmmm I don't think you will like this page info then Service Contacts / Support / Digital Camera?| Ricoh Global

USA, Canada, and South America:
Ricoh Service Center

C.R.I.S. Camera Services
Phone: 480-940-1103
Fax: 480-940-1329
www.criscam.com
Email: <ricoh@criscam.com>
10-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
Also, please give free estimates without having to mail in the lens.
How are they supposed to do that without seeing the lens? Makes no sense at all. Hopefully you were joking.

10-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sorry, a little rant here, but...
It seems they answered you. They are not experienced with that lens, asked for help from the factory after they got into it, and need parts they don't stock for a lens they don't see very often.

Unfortunate for you, though.
10-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

They should have sent it back to Japan and let Pentax Japan to fix it for you. That's what our local agent has been doing now w/ Pentax repair. It's slow, yes, but it might be better for the users I guess...
10-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
How are they supposed to do that without seeing the lens? Makes no sense at all. Hopefully you were joking.
Sure, if you drop the lens and don't know what's wrong, you probably have to send it in.

But sometimes you know what's wrong with the lens. See post #20 in the thread below for an example.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/158958-fa-200-...d-i-ask-2.html

In fact, many repair companies give free estimates without taking in your car, lens, or camera if you know what's wrong. Nothing wrong with that and better in my opinion.

Last edited by pz1fan; 10-19-2011 at 07:47 PM.
10-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

How could the DA* 60-250 be a lens they don't see often? That's probably one of the more popular high-end lenses they sell. It's hard to take the excuse about parts for products that are still in production and readily available new... If CRIS can't afford to stock at such a level, Pentax/Ricoh should step up to the plate and have an inventory. Maybe Pentax Japan needs to actually produce more spare parts or something?

I was stuck on the lack of parts bandwagon for the mirror flop issue and it took them around 4 months, after I got it back and they didn't fix it right, it only took them a single week to fix it again. Hopefully I don't have any more troubles with the K-5, but anyways they should really forgo lean stocking idea in favor of customer service in this regard.
10-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If he was, I'm not. Not always, but usually, I can describe what is wrong with a lens. If they would even give me a shot in the dark price tag, that would be better than nothing.

Lets face it; if you call and say I've got a DA* 16-50 that wont autofocus anymore, they know exactly what the cost will be, probably without a technician even being involved.
10-20-2011, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote

I was stuck on the lack of parts bandwagon for the mirror flop issue and it took them around 4 months, after I got it back and they didn't fix it right, it only took them a single week to fix it again. Hopefully I don't have any more troubles with the K-5, but anyways they should really forgo lean stocking idea in favor of customer service in this regard.
How much extra at the retail level are you willing to pay in order to get that?
10-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Exactly. I think sometimes people take for granted that longer warranties, better QC and superb customer service has a real cost. At the same time, people want to pay the absolute bottom dollar for the same products. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways. So the question becomes, do you want the $1500 body that has a 5% of having an issue or the $1800 body with a 2% chance of having an issue? Do you want to pay an extra $300 to have a repair center dedicated to a 3 day turnaround time?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like the best of both worlds too; low prices and outstanding quality/service. That said, I'm content with something in between. Now whether that balance point has been properly selected is a different question altogether
10-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
So the question becomes, do you want the $1500 body that has a 5% of having an issue or the $1800 body with a 2% chance of having an issue? Do you want to pay an extra $300 to have a repair center dedicated to a 3 day turnaround time?
Nah, I like it cheap. What I do think they should do is have a warranty repair of 20 business days turn around time or bust, and they send you a new product. 20 business days is a very long time to have something.
10-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The camera body is a different thing, but Nikon's lens warranties in the U.S. comes with a 5 year warranty (1 + 4) even on a $349 50mm/1.4. Pentax could do that for the DA* and limited series given the price points of those and the fact its their marquis items.
10-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Nah, I like it cheap. What I do think they should do is have a warranty repair of 20 business days turn around time or bust, and they send you a new product. 20 business days is a very long time to have something.
No disagreement here.

I personally prefer cheap as well and am willing to take my chances

I also agree that 20 business days is excessive and that in this situation the repair was not handled well at all.
10-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The camera body is a different thing, but Nikon's lens warranties in the U.S. comes with a 5 year warranty (1 + 4) even on a $349 50mm/1.4. Pentax could do that for the DA* and limited series given the price points of those and the fact its their marquis items.
100% agree. Given the issues associated with the DA*/SDM lenses, whatever the increased cost associated with offering a longer warranty would seem to be worth it in terms of giving people more confidence when purchasing a $500-$1500 lens. Then again, I could be wrong. Perhaps some bean counter at Pentax made the decision that the cost of extending the warranties was actually higher than the lost business due to the lack of confidence in DA* products.