Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
MINDREAD.EXE
And what do you mean by that?

I am serious, the first camera company that comes up with a camera with this function will make billions. Remember when canon (i think it was) tried AF point selection by using your eye position? You know focus at what you are looking at.

Actually though, Mindread.exe is just the first part.

I really want a camera that produces images of what my mind thinks I see, as opposed to what it actually might see.

10-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
And what do you mean by that?
I really want a camera that produces images of what my mind thinks I see, as opposed to what it actually might see.
Hi Lowell,
MINDREAD.EXE. That's funny to me because I want what you want. Till then I think AF is great. It even focuses exactly where I want focus...occasionally. For most of what I shoot hyper or manual focus simply works better, for me, for now. I use both and wish both were better and easier.
10-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Various peoples are being lumped together. Casual snapshooters don't use the same tools and approaches as action+wildlife shooters, still.life+scape+abstract framers, pros-in-training (i.e. serious students), wedding toggers, product shooters, macro maniacs, pinheads pinholers, surveillance+blackmail fiends, artsy farts, etc. Any type of shoot may demand different lens+camera capabilities. An age breakdown across all those categories may be interesting but not especially meaningful. Snapshooters of all ages may prefer AF; macrocephalics masters of any age may prefer MF. And those of us shooting variously may use whatever seems right at the moment. Such is life.
10-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #34
Site Supporter

I am 66 and I am still keen on both MF/AF lens. I enjoy the fun of MF lens, but as I wear glasses, and even having a Katzeye split screen I do miss focus in a number of shots. These days I use Catch-in-Focus more and more, but still enjoy it.
I threaten to chuck all the MF lens at those times, but when it comes down to it, can't do that, but hold on them, not for sentimental reasons, but because I really enjoy the fun of using them.
Yes, it can be frustrating, even annoying at times.

10-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Careful what you wish for

didn't you purchase the mandatory MINDREAD.EXE application
I had a version of that software in in Beta test and almost ready for release and decided I'd better scrap the whole program and destroy the lab notes when I realized what havoc it could cause if/when it fell into the hands of wives.
H2
10-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I shot all MF in my early years. I then dropped my hobby for ~10 years, and recently picked it back up 10 months ago.

I'm 53 - I started wearing eyeglasses in those 10 years in between. When I got back into it, I immediately bought only AF lenses as I thought I couldn't trust my eyes. Even looking through the viewfinder the first time with glasses was a strange experience - had to figure out if I should be looking through my glasses, and/or through the bi-focal, or over them, and adjust the diopter for one or the other.

I tried a couple MF lenses, and even bought a Katz-Eye focusing screen for my K20D. I could do it, but I wasn't finding much joy.

Then, the game changer for be - my first fast lens - DFA 100 WR - all of a sudden.....wow, I can see to manual focus! I have since bought a Tamron 300 2.8 which is a MF lens only. I really hesitated because of my eyes, but that lens is such a joy to manual focus - it just "snaps" in for me.

So, for me, if I buy a MF lens, it will be a faster lens so I get enough light to see to focus properly. I don't know if this is actually true....that a fast lens gives me a brighter viewfinder to see better to manually focus, but it sure seems like it to me. This has been a revelation to me as I can now look for manual focus lenses and not be afraid that I won't be able to use them.
10-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still have a few manual focus lenses that was used for K1000.
It's a little less fun to use MF lens on K20D since I don't have the split prism focus screen on it.
I am thinking about getting one from focusingscreen.com but I'm worried about shimming or whatever is called.
10-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I had a version of that software in in Beta test and almost ready for release and decided I'd better scrap the whole program and destroy the lab notes when I realized what havoc it could cause if/when it fell into the hands of wives.
H2
Too late they get it at birth

10-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Various peoples are being lumped together. Casual snapshooters don't use the same tools and approaches as action+wildlife shooters, still.life+scape+abstract framers, pros-in-training (i.e. serious students), wedding toggers, product shooters, macro maniacs, pinheads pinholers, surveillance+blackmail fiends, artsy farts, etc. Any type of shoot may demand different lens+camera capabilities. An age breakdown across all those categories may be interesting but not especially meaningful. Snapshooters of all ages may prefer AF; macrocephalics masters of any age may prefer MF. And those of us shooting variously may use whatever seems right at the moment. Such is life.
Thats fine. I don't care what the shooting preference is, if they shoot any manual glass that's fine I am not doing a full demographic I just want to see the age distribution of manual glass users. If someone wants to design a more all encompassing poll that's fine.
10-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #40
Site Supporter

I've got a few mf lenses, but usually because there wasn't a similar af lens
10-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not doing a full demographic I just want to see the age distribution of manual glass users.
Determining the age distribution is tricky. First, you are addressing yourself mainly to Pentax users, and of those, to the subset that uses this forum, and of those, to those that actually reply to polls. It's going to be impossible to draw any sound conclusion around general trends from the data you collect here. Just an observation - I answered your poll too.
10-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To all those who have commented on the accuracy and validity of the poll, yes I realize all the drawbacks, but maybe we should start a new one. Let's do a poll on who answer the polls. We can cover age years in photography, AF only mf only or a mix. Then sinceit is only 5% of the shooters, of a 3% market share (both numbers are guesses so please dont comment on them) younwill still say it is useless. So what!

Actually I thought the poll shows somethingninteresting. It is probably representative of the actual age distribution of shooters, but i won't do a poll on that either. Just a social comment on the age awareness of brands vs sound purchases
10-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I dove into photography four years ago at age 65, I figured it would be AF all the way but I found that MF is not as difficult as I imagined: in fact, I prefer it in some situations. Of course, I see the resultant photos with the same old eyes as I used to shoot them so you can take this testimonial with a grain of salt. I use the stock focus screen, btw, and use CIF a lot.
10-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I am 53 and with the exception of Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6, the rest of the lenses I reach for seem to be MF. I do have some other AF lenses, I just never use them. I really should cull my MF lenses and acquire a basic, quality AF lens kit (no SDM, don't need them transforming into MF lenses ), as there are times when MF just cannot react quick enough.
10-23-2011, 04:57 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Shameless bump to the top