60-70 yrs 199.95%
over 70 yrs 42.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
For snapshots and casual shooting, do you mostly use MF or AF?
That is a totally different question than "do you use manual focus lenses?".

I own and use several manual lenses, but I mostly use and prefer AF.

10-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That depends on whether the election results are rigged. But I digress.

I've observed young people with film SLRs, and with MF lenses on either film or digital. I have observed older people with the same, and others sticking to AF. As I said earlier, I think the dividing line has more to do with application than age. Macro shooters young and old use MF. The fresh and the moldy shooting 'scapes on 'pods use MF. Action shooters of all ages use AF.

We might get more meaningful results by asking, by age: For snapshots and casual shooting, do you mostly use MF or AF? This would eliminate the cross-application variance. Any usable poll needs the right sample selected.
I think it depends on the "result" you want to get. Go backl to the beginning, I started this relitively simple poll because in another thread on the price and popularity of MF lenses, it was speculated that this would die off with the oldtimers.

Clearly, people between 30 and 40 were not around and shooting in the age of MF lenses, yet this is the biggest group, and at 54, I do not consider them (or self yet) to be old timers.

so from that perspective, the poll has been a great success, but as with everything, it would be great to get a real poll that identified all sorts of things, but I have learned in the few polls that I have done, the more complex it is, the fewer respondants.

I thank the 150 forum members to date that have responded
10-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That is a totally different question than "do you use manual focus lenses?".
Yes it is. So is, "Do you mostly use AF or MF for macros"? Or "for landscapes", or "for studio portraits", or "for birding", etc. Lumping all these applications together and then polling by age just doesn't signify much.

A rough parallel: Poll by age on "Are you more likely to drive an automatic or manual transmission vehicle"? If we don't distinguish passenger cars vs racing cars vs heavy equipment vs mopeds, what do we learn?

Last edited by RioRico; 10-25-2011 at 01:40 PM.
10-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Nice input regarding poll and questions.
Using MF does not mean I dont own AF lenses. All depends on what to capture and what available.

10-26-2011, 03:07 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For this poll to make real sense you'd really also need to run a poll listing the gae groups of the forum membership.
10-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
For this poll to make real sense you'd really also need to run a poll listing the gae groups of the forum membership.
I have asked the moderators to comment if it is possible to get the age distribution of members But that is not necessary to answer the question I initially started with. Specifically that MF lenses would become less popular when the old timers literally died off. With the largest single group responding being between 30 and 40 that is not the case
10-26-2011, 04:35 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Being an old school manual focus guy for 25 years, I don't have a problem with using manual focus lenses. With a split screen, I can usually focus manually faster than the camera can do it automatically, and usually with more accuracy. I currently have 2 AF lenses & 6 MF lenses.

The legacy MF lens support is the big reason I went with Pentax when I made the digital switch. (I migrated from a Nikon 35mm setup.)
10-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In reading all the responses and thinking a little more about the distribution of user age, I think there is one notible thing here.

Again this comes back to the initial reason for starting the poll, to answer a question about whether MF and the interest in MF glass was only for the old timers.

If you look at the poll 50% of the respondants are under 40, and that means a lot in terms of the first SLR they ever used.

In all likelyhood, they did not even start shooting pictures until after pentax produced its last manual focus body. (note I bought a PZ-1 in 1991 and that was already a second generation AF body)

What that means is that they have gone to MF after having the opportunity of AF, unlike us "oldtimers" that started with MF

10-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Being an old school manual focus guy for 25 years, I don't have a problem with using manual focus lenses. With a split screen, I can usually focus manually faster than the camera can do it automatically, and usually with more accuracy. I currently have 2 AF lenses & 6 MF lenses.

The legacy MF lens support is the big reason I went with Pentax when I made the digital switch. (I migrated from a Nikon 35mm setup.)
It's funny but nikon is now offering legacy glass compatibility with more and more bodies. Could it be they learned something from Pentax.
10-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Nice spread across the age groups there. Under 20 and over 70 are lower for obvious reasons but otherwise it's pretty even and does seem to demonstrate that the use of MF lenses is not so much age related as due to other factors.

Personally I bought I few M42s because I wanted fine lenses at a good price and MF was always going to be cheaper than AF. However later it reversed and I bought much finer lenses because of their quality not their price, regardless of whether they were AF or MF, that doesn't matter too much to me at all now. My favourite portrait lens (and often used on the street too) is a Contax Zeiss 85/1.4 and my go to landscape lens is the Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 ... they are both fantastic lenses of impeccable rendering, sharpness, colour and build quality, and isn't that what we are looking for in all of our lenses ?
10-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Nice spread across the age groups there. Under 20 and over 70 are lower for obvious reasons but otherwise it's pretty even and does seem to demonstrate that the use of MF lenses is not so much age related as due to other factors.
it is a pretty uniform spread isn't it
QuoteQuote:

Personally I bought I few M42s because I wanted fine lenses at a good price and MF was always going to be cheaper than AF. However later it reversed and I bought much finer lenses because of their quality not their price, regardless of whether they were AF or MF, that doesn't matter too much to me at all now. My favourite portrait lens (and often used on the street too) is a Contax Zeiss 85/1.4 and my go to landscape lens is the Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 ... they are both fantastic lenses of impeccable rendering, sharpness, colour and build quality, and isn't that what we are looking for in all of our lenses ?
Having come from film, and starting in 1981, I had a collection of MF primes that I still own and use.

When AF came out, I bought a few, and liked them when I was pushed for time, but always went back for the MF primes when I had time or in low light.

My reasoning for staying with MF primes, is that when I have the time to use primes, the framing, and other things take up so much more time that MF is not any restriction AT ALL, and just as accurate. And yes MF primes can be a lot less than AF primes, and in many cases, the MF primes are at focal lengths and apertures no longer offered, so for some lenses there is no other option.

This does not mean I only shoot MF Legacy lenses, as some of my latest additions include the Samyang (AKA Bower, ProOptic, Vivitar, et. al.) 8mm fisheye, 14mmF2.8 and 85mmF1.4.

It also does not mean I have not got some good AF lenses or options either. Those around the forums will have seen the results from my SIGMA APO 70-200/2.8 with and without the 1.4 and 2x TCs, my Tamron 28-75F2.8 and my Sigma 10-20.

My approach to the whole thing was simple, get a good selection of high quality AF zooms, with as much of the range below 200mm at F2.8, and suppliment it with MF primes for specialty uses.

But note I also have 2 really good MF zooms still in use, the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 (Version 1) and a tamron 200-500F5.6
10-26-2011, 05:45 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
see the attached, I asked and someone replied with the following

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/133563-pentax-users-how-old-...ml#post1693412
10-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

Two separate polls is no good unless you are confident that each is a representative sample. This is unrealistic.
10-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Two separate polls is no good unless you are confident that each is a representative sample. This is unrealistic.
I have given up with any explanation about the poll and what or what I did not intend to prove by conducting it.

I leave all with the following quotes:

Murphy's law of research:

Enough research will tend to support your theory
and

William and Holland's law

If enough data is collected, anything may be proven by statistical methods
10-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bollocks, i thought you were asking for our opinion on which age group uses MF. I'm in my early 20s and I'm 99%-100% manual focus. Its a more like in-the-zone method of shooting i find.