50-60 yrs 4724.61%
60-70 yrs 199.95%
over 70 yrs 42.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Only information I get from this poll is that there are too many old guys using Pentax (that includes me)

I have the perception that Pentax is the 'value for money' or 'poor student's brand' to both its credit and demise.
See it often enough on the local forum.
Once the young ones have harder wings (ie. more $$), they fly away to the neon lights of Canikony.

10-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Bollocks, i thought you were asking for our opinion on which age group uses MF. I'm in my early 20s and I'm 99%-100% manual focus. Its a more like in-the-zone method of shooting i find.
You are correct, that is all I was asking, and I thought the poll showed that, no other conditions applied. Too many others felt there should be conditions like use etc, which were not relevant to me
10-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Only information I get from this poll is that there are too many old guys using Pentax (that includes me)
define old. When the largest age group is 30-40 some might argue
QuoteQuote:
I have the perception that Pentax is the 'value for money' or 'poor student's brand' to both its credit and demise.
See it often enough on the local forum.
Once the young ones have harder wings (ie. more $$), they fly away to the neon lights of Canikony.
I don't disagree

But there is a difference between a poor student's camera and value for money.

value for money is a decision by an informed consumer and that is where pentax sits. people that research the product know they are getting a good deal, people that don't know anything will only buy one of the top 2 brands, regardless of function, and just expect it will do it all for them

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 10-28-2011 at 06:13 AM.
10-30-2011, 05:30 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bumpety bump bump. To the top of page 1

This will be the only time I bump from page two, so after it falls off page 1 again I will consider all who were interested in responding have done so

Thanks to all who responded

10-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #80
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dear disillusioned stat nuts:
Go to item #7 on this link and seek out what you feel is most relevant and quit whining that a simple question cannot possibly have a simple answer. KISS.
Forum Suggestions, News and Help > FORUM USAGE GUIDE: an explanation of forum features!
10-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Manual, only because even my aging eyes seem to be more accurate than the AF on the K-7 and the K-5 most of the time; I have some nice manual glass; and even with the inconvenient manual focus rings of some of my lenses, I'm getting better with practice.

I considered get a split-image focusing aid etc but any modification in which the word "shims" is apt to arise makes me break out in a sweat.
10-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Manual, only because even my aging eyes seem to be more accurate than the AF on the K-7 and the K-5 most of the time; I have some nice manual glass; and even with the inconvenient manual focus rings of some of my lenses, I'm getting better with practice.

I considered get a split-image focusing aid etc but any modification in which the word "shims" is apt to arise makes me break out in a sweat.
I ihave heard a lot about shims but not needed them for mt K10 or *istD. I think they are more used on pentamirror bodies but perhaps someone will correct me on this

10-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I had to shim my K10D and K100D; it's still not perfect Haven't put a split prism in my K5; I seem to be able to nail it about one in three times without.
10-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Aaaaaaaackkk! Shims!!

Seriously, while I used to complain about DSLR's not having split prisms and so forth by default, I find I really like the unobstructed view. I realized that much of my problem with focusing was simply not trusting my eye. Using a magnifying eyepiece helps a little too. But I think I can wean myself off of that also.

The right diopter setting for one's vision is crucial.
10-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
hopelessly flawed poll. you can't measure the popularity of something if you count how many people use it, but not how many don't.
I agree this poll is fatally flawed as far as number of photographers is concerned, but I think it is interesting to see the age curve. It is very nice to see the relatively young mean. The fact that most cameras have some kind of manual focus capability (even point-n-shoots) is a good sign and confirms that there will always be people who want full control of focusing.
10-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
I agree this poll is fatally flawed as far as number of photographers is concerned, but I think it is interesting to see the age curve. It is very nice to see the relatively young mean. ..........
that was the purpose of the poll, so from that point and only that point the poll did exactly what it was intended to do. The fact that others read in more than the explicit and expressed intent is not a flaw in the poll, but those with bloody great mallets trying to pound a square peg into a round hole