50-60 yrs 4724.61%
60-70 yrs 199.95%
over 70 yrs 42.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I pretty much dumped all my MF lenses with the exception of the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro and A 200mm f/4. I like to shoot quickly and AF is the way to go for me as relying on MF to grab spontaneous moments is just too slow and too much of a hit and miss thing.

I've never been sentimental with my gear and I didn't find it difficult to get rid of the plethora of junk MF lenses that I once accumulated in the past. After using good glass, I don't ever want to collect some cheap and crappy MF legacy glass no matter whatever past reputation it has, so no more M42, K, M series or any lenses requiring adapters for me.
I don't keep my MF lenses because of being emotionally tied to them, simply they are in some cases as good if not better than the top AF lenses.

10-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
No fans for Lytro here, huh?
10-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't ever want to collect some cheap and crappy MF legacy glass.... so no more M42, K, series.
As much as I agree with you on some points, I don't think some of M42 designs (85/1.8 and 1.9, 55/1.8, and some of the slower f 3.5 Taks) and some of K series (24/2.8, 50/1.2, 85/1.8 and 135/2.5) deserve "cheap and crappy" label...
10-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AF is a crutch for a lot of people and I will never use it. I can MF just as quickly on the subject in the picture that I want in focus. Also the older MF lenses will out live AF lenses by decades, less parts to break and better built.

Phil.

10-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm 73 and use manual focus more than AF - Just trust my eyes more for really critical work. No special aids just the standard factory screen.

I guess I'm just old school I still miss the ground glass of my Rollie for certain kinds of shots.

I don't hesitate to use AF for uncritical shots like social gatherings of the family and such.

Often I find CF works very well for close ups of butterflies and such that are moving about but it depends of which lens.
My 500 buck Sigma macro is poor in either AF or CF while my 200 buck Tamron super zoom is spot on. Go figure.
10-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
hopelessly flawed poll. you can't measure the popularity of something if you count how many people use it, but not how many don't.
You misunderstand the intent. it is not intended to identify who uses MF vs AF, If I guess the answer would be about 70% AF only 29% use both, and 1% use MF only. Honestly, I could care less about that distribution.

What I was curious to find out is of people that use manual focus lenses, what is the age distribution of manual focus users.

I started this poll because someone in another post said that manual focus lens popularity would fall off as the old timers died off (literally) I thought it was a curious assumption and a poll would be a good way to find the answer.
10-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxhead Quote
As you age your eyes become less able to focus so auto focus is a real help.
suprising how many old timers are showing up in the poll, although i agree it needs good vision and perhapos focusing aids like eyepiece enlargers or split images
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I doubt demand will die with the users, there will always be short-on-money students dying to buy a MF lens instead of living with only the kit lens.
again, the distribution does not show this, or perhaps it does, students don't seem to be in the poll, I would assume they don't have enough for a DSLR to start with, and just use their Iphone
I pretty much dumped all my MF lenses with the exception of the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro and A 200mm f/4. I like to shoot quickly and AF is the way to go for me as relying on MF to grab spontaneous moments is just too slow and too much of a hit and miss thing.

I've never been sentimental with my gear and I didn't find it difficult to get rid of the plethora of junk MF lenses that I once accumulated in the past. After using good glass, I don't ever want to collect some cheap and crappy MF legacy glass no matter whatever past reputation it has, so no more M42, K, M series or any lenses requiring adapters for me.
I would have to disagree. WHile there are a lot of poor performers out there, there are also some excellent performers, and also some lenses that just can't be reproduced.

Technology for better or worse, has pushed lens designs in a certain direction, and the compromises made today result in lens performance and especially bokeh, which is often left behind in the dust.

For the record, I have both K mount (mostly K and M series, but a few 3rd party makers too) and M42 lens kits. They are different in terms of performance each having certain good and bad points, but one thing is for sure, the older MF glass is a lot more compact than many (perhaps pentax is an exception) new lenses of the same focal length. When I travel for business, I like to have a camera but the size of many lenses can put me off, so I travel with 2-3 K or M42 MF lenses and a single body. After All, after hours, I am on my schedule, and can take allt he time I want.

10-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lens implants work wonders. Now I can manually focus digital cameras and thread fine sewing needles.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
suprising how many old timers are showing up in the poll, although i agree it needs good vision and perhapos focusing aids like eyepiece enlargers or split images Quote
10-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm 53 and use a mix. I dedicated my K10D to M42 lenses and take it when I want to have some fun.

I don't think that it will die but in this "rush rush quick quick hurry up" world I doubt that they will stay as popular as they currently are.
10-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I'm 53 and use a mix. I dedicated my K10D to M42 lenses and take it when I want to have some fun.

I don't think that it will die but in this "rush rush quick quick hurry up" world I doubt that they will stay as popular as they currently are.
I am much the same, in age, and also in equipment. My K10D suffered a failure of the lens locking pin, which also controls engagement of the AF drive. SInce it is 5 years old, and I I have upgraded since with both K7 and K5 I have accepted that my M42 adaptor will live in this body.

On a curious point, and I bet there will be a split here, clearly with a K10D, K7D and K5D I am not financially restricted to purchasing 50 year old kit. Like you, my M42 lenses are a go out and have fun collection. Since photography is a hobby, why not have fun.
10-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I voted my own age group as I don't really know of the reasons of others. I used manual lenses for many years because there really was no other choice. I still use them and have added to my collection. To be honest, I have become very fond of AF lenses as I have grown older and my eyesight isn't what it once was. My continued use of MF lenses has more to do with my budget than any other reason. Manual focus is better sometimes like with macros and some very narrow DOF shots but for my everyday shooting, I use my AF lenses. I use trap focus whenever I can with my MF lenses. My telephoto shots are often MF because the AF can focus on the wrong things much of the time.
10-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

at 51 i use both, but then i don't own AF versions of all the primes i have. I use a Split prism and CiF
mostly i shoot MF because my favourite lenses (bar 1) are all MF. AF my most used lens is my DA14
Aside from that a good number of my cameras are Manual film bodies (35 and Medium format) so no choice in that case
If I had unlimited funds would I by a whack of AF primes. Yep probably but i'd still go back and use my favourite Manual focus stuff
10-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've no doubt that modern AF systems can acquire the sharpest possible focus quicker and more consistently than I can with the Mark 1 Mod 0 eyeball under almost all conditions. My issue with AF is that it doesn't know what it is I want to focus ON.

After 40+ years of using MF and only about 10 years experience with AF and trying various focusing screens I'm coming to the conclusion that in general I prefer a medium matte focusing screen with no other aids. If snap-shot accuracy is of the essence, I'm more than willing to use an appropriate AF mode and lens and accept that it may occasionally chose a focal point other than what I intended . . . about as often as I'd miss with an MF lens, in fact. I do make a conscientious effort to verify AF when time permits.

I consider AF something that adds to the available tools rather than being an either/or choice. Like all other photographic techniques and devices, AF is a tool to use with an adequate (preferably expert) understanding of its strengths, weaknesses and its appropriateness for the occasion at hand.

H2
10-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I've no doubt that modern AF systems can acquire the sharpest possible focus quicker and more consistently than I can with the Mark 1 Mod 0 eyeball under almost all conditions. My issue with AF is that it doesn't know what it is I want to focus ON.
I don't understand why not? didn't you purchase the mandatory MINDREAD.EXE application with your AF lens
QuoteQuote:
After 40+ years of using MF and only about 10 years experience with AF and trying various focusing screens I'm coming to the conclusion that in general I prefer a medium matte focusing screen with no other aids. If snap-shot accuracy is of the essence, I'm more than willing to use an appropriate AF mode and lens and accept that it may occasionally chose a focal point other than what I intended . . . about as often as I'd miss with an MF lens, in fact. I do make a conscientious effort to verify AF when time permits.

I consider AF something that adds to the available tools rather than being an either/or choice. Like all other photographic techniques and devices, AF is a tool to use with an adequate (preferably expert) understanding of its strengths, weaknesses and its appropriateness for the occasion at hand.

H2
the rest of this is quite appropriate. AF is one a tool, not the only way to do things.

One issue I have with AF designed lenses is the focus throw seems to be quite short, and less accurate when used in manual focus than a true manual focus lens.
10-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
As much as I agree with you on some points, I don't think some of M42 designs (85/1.8 and 1.9, 55/1.8, and some of the slower f 3.5 Taks) and some of K series (24/2.8, 50/1.2, 85/1.8 and 135/2.5) deserve "cheap and crappy" label...
Axl! Yes they are "cheap and crappy"... seriously "cheap and crappy". In fact they are hazardous and should be sent to me (and you) for safe disposal... at a nominal fee.

MINDREAD.EXE

Regards