Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you ever come by on a f1.2 (not an f2) lens, even if fungused or with stuck rings, and very cheap, I would kindly suggest to buy it and put it on the marketplace. I may even buy it from you (think of it as a lens-rescue mission).
I've been fixing lenses for a couple of years now, and almost anything with good glass can be made to work one way or another. Stuck rings are no match to oil-filter wrenches and vices.

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Hi Clinton,

I contacted the seller re the fungus lens and she has agreed to refund me the money and I have to return the lens. No biggie since the fungus lens wasn't one that I was dying to have. What I really wanted was the M 1.2 that came with it. Unfortunately the focus ring is totally stuck and I couldn't move it. I'm not sure I'm ready to branch into taking apart a lens unless it's absolutely free. And since she wants it back, I'll take that as no harm and no foul. Is that the term they use?

10-21-2011, 04:36 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi Clinton,

I am currently battling the seller. I don't think she wants to pay me for return postage coz according to her the item worked when she used it last. Yeah well, when I asked her if it had fungus she said she asked a keen photographer friend who said it was fine. I took her in good faith and now she reckons she sent it in good faith and therefore shouldn't have to pay for the return postage. So either way I'm out of pocket because I believed her?! geeez.

I will need to double check if it's a 1.2 or not. I know that it's a 50mm prime. I've left it at work in disgust that both lenses aren't what I expected and seem to be slightly out of my learning curve to fix. But if you think a stuck focus ring can be fixable (and make that an easy fix) perhaps it might be worth me keeping to experiment on. I certainly don't like the idea of being out of pocket.

Where did all the good sellers go?? If it was me and I'd screwed up I'd offer to pay it all up. *shakes head* Stuff this 'in good faith thing'. You're the seller. Customer is always right!!! Geez. No wonder Rico just takes it to paypal to sort out. *shakes head* weasels indeed...
10-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #33
Site Supporter

"These looks just like the paperweights I need...how much do they cost per kilogram?"
10-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't get that reference, Douglas of Sweden?

*sigh* so it looks like I'm going to be lensless and $14.30 out of pocket if I don't want to keep them. I don't know if I'm going to be happy with that. Maybe I should spend this weekend looking up how to fix these lenses. Argh. I'm such a cheapskate I'm not even wanting to lose $14.30 on 'lens buying tuition'. BAH.

10-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you paid $14.30 for a f1.2 lens (even if not working)? Congrats!
Post a picture - if the glass is ok I will gladly offer 2x that so you don't have to battle with the original seller

I think Douglas of Sweden dropped a new "buyer's pitch" line on you ... very nice, I'm going to try that someday.

EDIT: Was this $14.30 AUD? Double congrats (just making harmless fun of our "funny" dollars compared to the USD) (and I know AUD>USD at times).

I don't get that reference, Douglas of Sweden?

*sigh* so it looks like I'm going to be lensless and $14.30 out of pocket if I don't want to keep them. I don't know if I'm going to be happy with that. Maybe I should spend this weekend looking up how to fix these lenses. Argh. I'm such a cheapskate I'm not even wanting to lose $14.30 on 'lens buying tuition'. BAH.

Last edited by photocanadian; 10-21-2011 at 06:24 AM.
10-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
oh right. buyer's pitch. LOL.

well let me go and check when I get back to work on Monday. it may well be a f2. that's what she listed but i think that's not what i saw this afternoon when i opened the package. my memory has been known to be incorrect however, so we shall see. i may be getting your hopes up for nothing :P

the total kit and kaboodle (2 lenses and a film body) cost me $57 AUD delivered. she's willing to refund me that but I have to return the stuff to her at my own cost, which will come to $14.30. i've got a weekend to think about it anyway.
10-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Hi Clinton,

I am currently battling the seller. I don't think she wants to pay me for return postage coz according to her the item worked when she used it last. Yeah well, when I asked her if it had fungus she said she asked a keen photographer friend who said it was fine. I took her in good faith and now she reckons she sent it in good faith and therefore shouldn't have to pay for the return postage. So either way I'm out of pocket because I believed her?! geeez.

I will need to double check if it's a 1.2 or not. I know that it's a 50mm prime. I've left it at work in disgust that both lenses aren't what I expected and seem to be slightly out of my learning curve to fix. But if you think a stuck focus ring can be fixable (and make that an easy fix) perhaps it might be worth me keeping to experiment on. I certainly don't like the idea of being out of pocket.

Where did all the good sellers go?? If it was me and I'd screwed up I'd offer to pay it all up. *shakes head* Stuff this 'in good faith thing'. You're the seller. Customer is always right!!! Geez. No wonder Rico just takes it to paypal to sort out. *shakes head* weasels indeed...
Sadly, when dealing with paypal transactions the seller may be in the wrong, but they are following the letter of the rules. To get a refund through the paypal system, you have to return the goods on your dime, and the seller has to refund you the original transaction, including shipping, on their dime. There's not much you can do there. However if it was an ebay transaction, you can request mediation from ebay. Sometimes they will just throw in cash and tell you to keep the item if it's less than a certain amount.

If it's an ebay transaction there is the feedback system; which isn't trivial if the seller wants to obtain or maintain their power seller status.

If it's ebay request the mediation first. If it's just paypal, you need to document the return shipping (oh and make sure to have signed delivery).

Or if it's $20, just wing it. Worst case you're out the cost of a Pizza.
10-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #38
Pentaxian

My approach is very simple.

Ask to see a lens and look at it, etc. check it out first, before even asking price. Then ask proce, and look again at the lens, is it worth the price, if yes, I might just pay, but if it is not a lens i really absolutely need or was planning to purchase, I ask if they can do better. I find the longer you keep them talking, the lower the price goes. My best example of this was a totally un expected find, a tamron 200-500F5.6 It came with case (somewhat beat up) both 112mm and rear filters, the 2x TC 2 nikon mounts and a KA mount. The initial price started as "it's listed for $699 but you can have it for $599, i asked if they had a body I could try it out on, so they got a K-r with memory card so I could play a little. each time the salesman came back and saw my interest, another $50 came off the price, I ultimately asked for the best they could do if I bought it right now, $350 plus tax.

Remember used lenses generally come from trade ins, and the price offered for the trade is usually considering "MSRP" not street value on the new goods (just like when you buy a car) so the "trade in value is inflated by the margins the store will take off a new item if you negotiate hard on the item with no trade anyway, so the products really come to them for free. what ever they can get they will.

A store that specializes in used equipment will be different. They pay for used gear (usually low) and sell for what they can get while making money, but these stores are disappearing./

10-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Lowelle Goudge - what a great score! I wish I could find a place that sold trade ins. I'd love to find a bargain like yours.

Interesting in your case you didn't do the poker face? Or did you? And they just went on putting the price down?

Hey Clinton - latest update the seller has suggested she'll refund me half of what I paid, so $30 and I can keep the lenses. So a little over a supreme pizza but I get 2 lenses and a camera body. I think that's fair. Basically $10 each - I guess I can do that. The more I think about it, the more I think it might just be a f/2 and not a 1.2. But the lens really is in mint condition - except for the fact that the focus ring is stuck. *sigh* And maybe I can look into how I could potentially save the lenses? *shudder*
10-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Lowelle Goudge - what a great score! I wish I could find a place that sold trade ins. I'd love to find a bargain like yours.

Interesting in your case you didn't do the poker face? Or did you? And they just went on putting the price down?

Hey Clinton - latest update the seller has suggested she'll refund me half of what I paid, so $30 and I can keep the lenses. So a little over a supreme pizza but I get 2 lenses and a camera body. I think that's fair. Basically $10 each - I guess I can do that. The more I think about it, the more I think it might just be a f/2 and not a 1.2. But the lens really is in mint condition - except for the fact that the focus ring is stuck. *sigh* And maybe I can look into how I could potentially save the lenses? *shudder*
. Actually they know me, I get the odd thing in there and check what they have in stock from time to time. No poker face, I expressed interest rather than disinterest since the store is an outlet for a chain, they sell off a larg portion of trade ins and demos. Their mission is to move stock. In this regard they have done well, they used to have bin after bin of all sorts of lenses, now, pentax is rare, nikon is getting that way, they have a ton of canon FD or minolta (non AF) and a fair amount of konica. Nikon has made using legacy glass easier on all but entry level now, to copy pentax, and the used market in nikon is what it was in pan tax a few years back. Getting rare
10-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #41
Site Supporter

I'd take the refund and walk quietly away, although if it's a F2 lens eather than a F1.2 lens in the best condition it's worth about $30 (If it's an A series). You could use it as a reverse macro lens as is though. The focus ring wont do diddly for reverse macro photography.
10-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what the ebay market is like there, but if it is anything like the US market, and you are just getting started on building a collection, you might want to use riorico's buying strategy or something similar. I think it boils down to bid often and bid cheap (perhaps he can expand on that). That doesn't mean go for junk, just go for lenses that are currently cheap, bid on lots of them with very low bids, and don't get upset when you get outbid on most, be happy about the ones you do win. Personally I have typically have a couple of hundred lens/camera auctions in my watch list. If they are still cheap on the last day, I bid cheap (using sniping software to bid automatically at the last few seconds).

There are a lot of lenses that can be had for a little more than the cost of shipping, just because they are very common and there are a lot being sold. Some are very good lenses despite going very cheap at times. A few examples would be 50mm primes that are not super fast (1.9-2.0 etc), midrange zooms like 70-200 and similar ranges, wider zooms like 28-90mm that are not super fast like 3.5-?, 135mm 2.8 primes etc. Lenses that are not listed very well often go cheap too like lenses that are listed as the filter description rather than the lens description. I have gotten some very expensive lenses cheap that were listed with a filter description. If the condition and function of the lens is not listed, ask and always ask if it has fungus or haze unless the listing specifically says it doesn't. Always ask if it is fully and smoothly functional unless the listing specifically says it does. Trust your instincts on the pictures (if something looks wrong like damage or bad glass, use caution). Don't get upset if you occasionally get a bad one. If its as described and didn't ask about something that would up being wrong, take the loss and move on (if you paid a little more than cost of shipping for it no big loss). If the description is wrong, calmly contact the seller and be nice about it (at least till its time to not be nice). Most don't seem to even know how to look for fungus. I have actually messaged sellers specifically how to look for fungus, was told there was none, and there was some. Results of bad lenses have been mixed for me. Some will just refund and say keep it, some will be ok with partial refund (if the lens is still of use to you), some will be willing to pay return shipping and give full refund so you are out nothing (if it was obviously there mistake). A few will either offer return but refuse return shipping or worse, in which case it might be time to consider less than perfect feedback (depending on all the particulars of that particular sale).

The last count I recall taking and if I recall right, out of 29 cheap ebay lenses, 9 had issues (ranging from very minor that didn't prevent use to completely trashed lenses). I have bought several more since then though. Also if I recall right, average price was 10$ or less per lens (including shipping).

I should mention as of the beginning of this year, I had a small handful of auto focus lenses only. After the LBA bug bit me months back, I now have lenses all over the house (occasionally something falls out of my camera cabinet as it is over full). What makes it worse are all the piles of lens parts laying around. I have also got the bug for changing canon, nikon. minolta, olympus etc. mount lenses to pentax mount and repair of damaged lenses.

Last edited by ripit; 10-22-2011 at 09:03 AM.
10-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I went to see a woman selling a "bag of Pentax camera lenses" (listed in Housewares) for $1. When I saw the A 50/1.7 and K 35/3.5, I gave her $20. She was happy and a little taken aback, but I just said "I can use it, for sure.Thanks!"
10-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey Ripit,

I get the impression that the ebay market isn't as developed here as it is over there. Not that many cheap bargains out there. I started off with nothing but my kit so I had no idea what I wanted. With the current 10 lenses sitting around the house I've started getting a better picture of what I do and don't need.

I take lots of photos of my wolfhound crosses so I need a AF for their play shots, and I need a macro for my flowers. Other than that I think the 1.7 is doing quite well with the arty shots I enjoy taking.

Unfortunately I'm hard wired to get bargains and often find it difficult to walk away from a "bargain". But because I don't see lenses going for $1 often - mainly $20-$50 (a Salvos had a Pentax camera body and an Astronon (sp?) lens going for $50!) I find it difficult to just remind myself "there's always more out there." That and let someone else get the best bargains. *snarf* "You can't get it for that price!! *I* want it for that price.."

On average I'm probably paying $30-$40 per lens. Which isn't supremely bad for my wallet but it's not good either... *looks at the lens scattered around the house and the slowly every increasingly grumpy husband*

The good thing is that so far I'm taking all my lenses out for a run, so I'm getting a better feel of what I like, don't like and need/don't need. So it's not like they're really going to waste. But already I can tell which ones won't last in my collection.

Re the ebay auction, yes I told the lady I'd take the refund and give her positive feedback. Just waiting to hear back to confirm and see the paypal email. A chance to do a reverse macro sounds good. I'm curious to see what the results will be.

Your stats for the lenses is pretty good Ripit. That's a 70% success rate! And yes, at $10 per lens that works out more than fair.

I'm really hoping I don't get sucked into the changing mount thing although Rico and Hoanpham seem pretty keen on getting me there but I'm trying my best to resist at the moment.
10-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Quick FYI - (as I didn't realize you bought these on eBay) - At least here in North America, you can file an "item not as described" claim with ebay after a purchase. Ebay will then automatically refund your money, taking it from the sellers account (without asking them ). You don't need to negotiate anything if you are not satisfied (although, sounds like you did all right!).

Also, paypal lets you file a similar claim. They call it "buyer's protection" over here, and it works wonders in motivating bad sellers to clean up their act.

Hey Ripit,

I get the impression that the ebay market isn't as developed here as it is over there. Not that many cheap bargains out there. I started off with nothing but my kit so I had no idea what I wanted. With the current 10 lenses sitting around the house I've started getting a better picture of what I do and don't need.

I take lots of photos of my wolfhound crosses so I need a AF for their play shots, and I need a macro for my flowers. Other than that I think the 1.7 is doing quite well with the arty shots I enjoy taking.

Unfortunately I'm hard wired to get bargains and often find it difficult to walk away from a "bargain". But because I don't see lenses going for $1 often - mainly $20-$50 (a Salvos had a Pentax camera body and an Astronon (sp?) lens going for $50!) I find it difficult to just remind myself "there's always more out there." That and let someone else get the best bargains. *snarf* "You can't get it for that price!! *I* want it for that price.."

On average I'm probably paying $30-$40 per lens. Which isn't supremely bad for my wallet but it's not good either... *looks at the lens scattered around the house and the slowly every increasingly grumpy husband*

The good thing is that so far I'm taking all my lenses out for a run, so I'm getting a better feel of what I like, don't like and need/don't need. So it's not like they're really going to waste. But already I can tell which ones won't last in my collection.

Re the ebay auction, yes I told the lady I'd take the refund and give her positive feedback. Just waiting to hear back to confirm and see the paypal email. A chance to do a reverse macro sounds good. I'm curious to see what the results will be.

Your stats for the lenses is pretty good Ripit. That's a 70% success rate! And yes, at $10 per lens that works out more than fair.

I'm really hoping I don't get sucked into the changing mount thing although Rico and Hoanpham seem pretty keen on getting me there but I'm trying my best to resist at the moment.