Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Low cost fisheye

Hey!
I wanna buy a fisheye, but i dont wanna spend a lot on it (i mean, as cheap as possible).
Do you guys know any used model that i could buy?
I wont use it alot, i only wanna buy one to use sometimes for interiors, and test a little.
Thanks

10-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one of the cheaper ones:
SLY358P Bower 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Manual Focus Lens for Pentax APS-C DSLR Autofocus Cameras

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, i saw that one (along with Samyang, Pro Optic, etc).
Its pretty cheap for a new lens, but i was looking at something used and cheaper, as im rarely gonna use it.
But maybe i'll stay with that one.
10-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How fishy do you want? If just a bit fishy on APS-C is OK, then the bargain is the Zenitar 16/2.8, widely available for about US$200 (shipped from Ukraine). Mine says Zenitar-K2 and is a PKM mount. Depending on how you frame pictures, it may seem slightly-to-very fishy.

If you want really fishy, you may find a Vemar (or many other brand names) 12/8 for around US$100. Yes, that's 12mm, f/8. It's slow, with Waterhouse stops and no focus needed. It's a T2 lens, so you can get adapters for almost any mount; PK is maybe US$5-10. Mine focuses too close.

If you want full-circle fisheye, there's a Kenko (or Spiratone or Vivitar or various other brand names) 180 Degree Fisheye adapter for maybe US$50. It mounts on a host lens' front threads. It may come with 49mm and/or 58mm or maybe a 55mm mount, but you can use step rings for other size host lenses. I mount mine on a 35-80 zoom. At around 40mm it gives a full-circle image; at 60mm and beyond it's a frame-filler. Edge clarity and sharpness aren't great but it's a cheap way to explore different fisheye projections.

If you want FINE fisheye, there's only the DA10-17, the lens that drove me to Pentax. It's great, from ultra-fishy at 10mm to mildly fishy at 17mm. It ain't cheap. The Samyang-Bower-Spiratone-Phoenix-whatever 8mm fisheye that Adam recommended has a good reputation. It also ain't real cheap. Oh bother.

Cheap fisheye adapters suck greatly. Not-so-cheap adapters suck too, just not so bad. The grim truth: the words good-cheap-fisheye are mutually exclusive. Good luck!

Last edited by RioRico; 10-21-2011 at 05:21 AM.
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest the DA 10-17 also. Save up for it and spend some time watching the Marketplace for a used one at the right price. You won't be disappointed and you will never have to kick yourself for settling for second best. I've seen a couple recently for a little over $300 and I bought mine for $320 if I remember right.
10-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I reviewed the Samyang-Bower here. Great fisheye. And if that seems too expensive, how about this $130 fisheye?
10-21-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey! A lot of replys
If im able to find DA 10-17 at around 300 dollars maybe thats the right choice.
If i cant, i'll probably buy the samyang-bower-prooptic one.
Thanks!