Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #1

Snappy Zoom Lens?..

Hey guys I am looking for a nice zoom lens. Preferably to 200mm. I am possibly getting media credentials for the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs baseball team and I am looking for a lens that will be a nice zoom, and snappy. I have been seeing reviews of many zoom lenses with the con of being slightly slow. Any ideas?

Thanks ahead

Kyle

10-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What exactly will you be doing? I don't have a lot of experience with sports photography, but the name of the game is fast. You'll probably want a Tamron 70-200/2.8 which retails for $760. I know someone was selling one on the forum marketplace though. Also, with such a big field, 200 might be inadequate, so again, what will you be doing?
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax-DA 55-300mm Review - Introduction
or
Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron

I would personally go for the Tamron

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
What exactly will you be doing? I don't have a lot of experience with sports photography, but the name of the game is fast. You'll probably want a Tamron 70-200/2.8 which retails for $760. I know someone was selling one on the forum marketplace though. Also, with such a big field, 200 might be inadequate, so again, what will you be doing?
well its actually not a far distance at all .. well i mean its not macro setting worthy hahah .. but i'd say 90-100 feet away about ..

thanks adam!! will the tamron also be good for shooting landscape and even cars?

10-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

To get a 1.8 meter tall person fill the frame in portrait orientation at 30 meters, you need roughly a 400mm lens.

For landscape (wide vistas), people in general use a wider lens that 70mm. The kit lens (or an alternative standard zoom) is better suited for that type of work.
10-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

what camera do you use it with?

i would recommend tamron 70-200 which for me has been good enough with the K-5 AF for some small sporting events.

alternatively, the sigma 70-200 has faster AF, IQ still great (not as good as tamron from what i've seen/read).
10-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
To get a 1.8 meter tall person fill the frame in portrait orientation at 30 meters, you need roughly a 400mm lens.

For landscape (wide vistas), people in general use a wider lens that 70mm. The kit lens (or an alternative standard zoom) is better suited for that type of work.
i spoke to some of the photographer there and they said theyre using 300mm zoom.. thanks for the suggestion for the landscape subjects

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
what camera do you use it with?

i would recommend tamron 70-200 which for me has been good enough with the K-5 AF for some small sporting events.

alternatively, the sigma 70-200 has faster AF, IQ still great (not as good as tamron from what i've seen/read).
i'd be using it with the k-r .. thanks for your input!
10-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you need something longer than 200 then it's going to get really expensive. You might look for a used Sigma 100-300/4 without HSM. If you're on a budget Adam's suggestion of the DA 55-300 is the cheapest solution, the quality is great, but it might not be fast enough.

10-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I would take a long hard look at 3 lenses.
The DA* 60-250. The DA* 300 and the older FA* 80-200/2.8 with a tamron 1.4x tc or kenko 1.5x tc.

The latter will be harder to find, but might be the best choice for you.

The sigma 100-300 with sigma 1.4x tc would be a fantastic choice but its wicked hard to come by now.
10-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would also help if you defined what you mean by "snappy". I at first thought you meant high contrast, but then your use of the word "slow" suggested it had something to do with speed. And yet, the word "slow" when applied to a lens normally refers to its maximum aperture, but the your use of the word "snappy" makes it sound like you are talking about AF speed.

It also sounds from your question about using this lens to also shoot landscape that you might be pretty inexperienced. In which case, the recommendations for lens costing around $1000 are probably major, major overkill for what you are actually wanting, and the DA55-300 is probably what you really would want. But for the record, if it's a telephoto lens that you'd use for sports, that pretty much by definition is not going to be a good landscaoe lens. Unless you like looking at landscapes through binoculars all the time.